DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

Holy shit, Hamhock, that's amazing.

What was the story with Rick Rude leaving WWF in the middle of his program with Big Boss Man back in 1990?  Boss Man was lil' Zimbra's favorite wrestler and I was very sad that feud never got blown off.

I remember years ago seeing a copy of the payouts for  Summerslam 91 (the following year) and a lot of it not making any sense. 

As far as Rude leaving because he wanted to cycle off, I'd never heard that. He definitely looked different physically in WCW, but that was also when he was behaving erratically and a lot of it was chalked up to roid rage. 

There was the rumor that Rude had started cycling off and Vince approached him, saying something to the effect of, "Rick, you're looking  little small."   Essentially, a dogwhistle admonishment to get back on the gas.  But that's just a hearsay sleaze story.

So expect Bix to turn those first two sentences into a 10,000 word Deadspin article next week.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

3 hours ago, Zimbra said:

What was the story with Rick Rude leaving WWF in the middle of his program with Big Boss Man back in 1990?  Boss Man was lil' Zimbra's favorite wrestler and I was very sad that feud never got blown off.

According to Meltzer's 99 obit, Rude tore his tricep during his 90 feud with Warrior but WWF kept advertising him for house show main events that they knew he wasn't going to be at.  So Rude wanted to be paid for those shows.  And he quit when they didn't.  To add insult to injury, WWF KEPT promoting Rude as appearing against Bossman at house shows for almost a month after he quit.

• Like 1

Meltzer has also backed up the "Rude wanted to get off the gas" rumor.  Supposedly, Rude and his wife wanted to have kids, but when he'd approach Vince about cycling off the steroids, Vince would say something that would scare Rude into thinking he'd lose his spot.  

FWIW, I've heard that the money issues are what motivated Rude to quit, but he was planning to leave anyway due to the family issues.  No idea how true that is.

Not sure if this was the thread to post this in, but if I am wrong and I will do it in another post.

Spot-monkeys? I don't fucking get it.

The general psychology of aerial spot monkeys or aerial moves in wrestling in general perplexes me because...why? This question of mine derived from Jeff Hardy of all people when he described his Swanton Bomb. Personally, I think the move works best when he hits the opponent with his lower back or hip because it looks painful to the opponent taking the move and since his momentum would be going to his hip. However, according to Jeff, when he hits the move this way, he gets more hurt and prefers the ineffectual upper back neck impact of the move. And this comment of his made me question the overall psychology of these moves to begin with.

Why would you as a fighter and competitor use the middle part of your body as a battering ram and not your knees, elbow, or feet? There abdomen to back areas are vulnerable parts of you and to just open it up for a 450 or Shooting Star makes no sense. And that goes for any splash that opens up like so. It is not the flip that I have the problem with. It is the point of attack. When Jimmy Snuka did it, I questioned why didn't he just use his knees(aside from the obvious kayfabe that he was protecting his opponent)?

And honestly, I think guys like Will Ospreay and Ricochet should take after Xtreme Martial Arts guys or Tony Jaa instead of just following general wrestling psychology with the splash.

5 hours ago, Kyuubi said:

Not sure if this was the thread to post this in, but if I am wrong and I will do it in another post.

Spot-monkeys? I don't fucking get it.

The general psychology of aerial spot monkeys or aerial moves in wrestling in general perplexes me because...why? This question of mine derived from Jeff Hardy of all people when he described his Swanton Bomb. Personally, I think the move works best when he hits the opponent with his lower back or hip because it looks painful to the opponent taking the move and since his momentum would be going to his hip. However, according to Jeff, when he hits the move this way, he gets more hurt and prefers the ineffectual upper back neck impact of the move. And this comment of his made me question the overall psychology of these moves to begin with.

Why would you as a fighter and competitor use the middle part of your body as a battering ram and not your knees, elbow, or feet? There abdomen to back areas are vulnerable parts of you and to just open it up for a 450 or Shooting Star makes no sense. And that goes for any splash that opens up like so. It is not the flip that I have the problem with. It is the point of attack. When Jimmy Snuka did it, I questioned why didn't he just use his knees(aside from the obvious kayfabe that he was protecting his opponent)?

And honestly, I think guys like Will Ospreay and Ricochet should take after Xtreme Martial Arts guys or Tony Jaa instead of just following general wrestling psychology with the splash.

can-of-worms-340x340.jpg

- RAF

• Like 1

On 7/26/2017 at 7:55 PM, AxB said:

There was an ECW promo where Public Enemy got ready for their 'Uncensored Match' by wearing dresses and wigs, and hitting each other with balloons and popcorn. It was hilarious. And then they went to WCW and actually had the match they had previously mocked.

Well at least the check cleared. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Your abdomen can take more punishment than your knees. 

Possibly the token "top babyface title run theyd never get in WWE" in TNA like Christian thrown in for good measure.

That would have been an awesome visual if you had Owen finally win the big match, the baby face locker room empties and celebrates with him, only for Bret to appear on the ramp, ala Mania 10, only to jump in and celebrate with him instead.