DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

Bock could have played a player/coach role similar to Flair in Evolution. Whether that would have been beneath him even at that stage in his career is another story. It certainly would have been funny to see him shake his head in disappointment at Flair promos about meeting women in airport bars. 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2018 at 3:21 PM, Wyld Samurai said:

Does Pete Dunne carry his belts in his mouth all the way to the ring or is thst just when he poses?

I'm not sure on this but wanted to say that his whole pose with the belt in his mouth and the fist to the side of his face is one of my least favorite poses right now. I can't even explain why but it just bugs me. 

• Like 1

As I watch old school ECW - was Sabu's "broken neck" at the hands of Benoit in 1994 just a work? I know he landed on it badly and he is crazy, but he wrestled 13 days later and never took any time off. He even went to Japan for a tour of FMW the next month. They used it to put over Benoit so it was to their benefit to exaggerate the injury, but while I am no doctor I think even if Sabu didn't opt for surgery he would have needed more than two weeks off and not immediately go back to flying around the ring, taking piledrivers, etc within the same month.

11 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

You’re talking about Sabu here, of course he’s not taking time off. 

I recall a Sabu/RVD match where twice, Sabu goes from top rope to the concrete floor -- landing on his feet in a standing position. 

I don't know how his knees didn't vanish in a puff of dust. 

25 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

You’re talking about Sabu here, of course he’s not taking time off. 

He took off 9 months after a bad back injury, so he is human ;) I just tend not to believe much of what wrestler's say since they are always in work mode, so I wasn't sure if there was anything besides the wrestler's saying it showing it was true. WWE still does it, such as with exaggerating Braun's injury last year. I have no doubt he injured it, it was a nasty fall for sure.

22 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

B. Allows a surprise return 

Rumble '08 - the greatest surprise return, in my book. 

ETA: I just watched it again. When his music hits, I get chills. And the smarks in the crowd forgot they were supposed to hate him, for a moment. It's glorious. 

Of course, once he gets in the ring, they remember to boo him. But for one moment, all was right. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

As I watch old school ECW - was Sabu's "broken neck" at the hands of Benoit in 1994 just a work?I

Nope, injury was legit.  He somehow managed to work through it.

I'm not sure why he - or anyone would do that - but then again, Sabu is known for his highspots, not his solid decision-making skills.

Somewhere over the years, I got the impression that he felt he couldn't afford to take time off (financially).  That sounds plausible.

39 minutes ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Nope, injury was legit.  He somehow managed to work through it.

I'm not sure why he - or anyone would do that - but then again, Sabu is known for his highspots, not his solid decision-making skills.

Somewhere over the years, I got the impression that he felt he couldn't afford to take time off (financially).  That sounds plausible.

Oh not doubting it was a legit injury and he is nuts. Its just interesting watching it "live" at the time as they don't really say it was a broken neck. Like on Hardcore TV 86 (from December 1994) Styles says "it was thought by many that Sabu had broken his neck on that maneuver," not that he did break his neck. And later he just referred to it as an injured neck. Since wrestling usually talks up injuries, not down, that's why I doubted he broke it versus it being a neck strain or something less ominous.

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:51 AM, CreativeControl said:

I was listening to Billy Gunn on SCSA podcast, and they got to talking about Bart Gunn, what he's up to now and the Brawl For All thing and the whole situation just irrationally pissed me off. 

The way they treated Bart and fed him to Butterbean for having the gall to win the tournament and upset their plans by being, y'know, a genuinely tough bad ass hombre and then releasing him was just disgraceful.

I'm not saying he should've been given that main event push they wanted to give Steve fucking Williams (and thank god he didn't win so we were saved from JR giving Dr Death a constant verbal blowjob on commentary) but Bart deserved way more than what he got for sure. At least Japan welcomed him with open arms for putting Dr Death down and he made some big paydays off it 

Every time JR is calling a Michael Elgin match, I'm in constant fear that with each mounting Steve Williams reference, we are just one more Dr. Death mention away from JR cracking and describing how he'd like to smear his signature sauce all over Elgin's chest and do other unspeakable things.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

Well, technically, Sabu broke his neck before Kurt won a gold medal.  Maybe Sabu was Angle's inspiration.

Now, I want to see Angle wearing genie pants and pointing to the sky in tribute to the Original Sheik. 

On 2/11/2018 at 7:04 PM, FluffSnackwell said:

Every time JR is calling a Michael Elgin match, I'm in constant fear that with each mounting Steve Williams reference, we are just one more Dr. Death mention away from JR cracking and describing how he'd like to smear his signature sauce all over Elgin's chest and do other unspeakable things.

CHILI DOG

CHILI DOG

CHILI DOG

BAH GAWD

• Haha 1

All this Doc talk has me pondering. 

Who did you fear more between Doc & Gordy? They were by far the scariest team I ever saw as a kid. I absolutely loved them in their WCW run. 

That said, there was just something about Bam Bam that made me fear for the livelihood of Rick Steiner that sets him apart from Doc.  

Sabu said Benoit actually gave him his first pain pill the day after the neck injury. 

Sabu was in an independent wrestler in 1994 and had also just become very hot in wrestling. He could not afford to take a long period of time off.  Even later under contract with ECW and in a more secure position he did not take enough time off for injuries. 

As stated, never said he wasn't hurt on the spot, question was if he actually broke his neck as everyone has been saying the last two decades. On the January 10th, 1995 Hardcore TV, Styles says again that "Sabu almost suffered a broken neck" against Benoit. I think teenage y'all just got worked. Which is a good thing, I like it when wrestling can trick people into believing something for 20 years that probably isn't true, even when the evidence is to the contrary. But I am curious to see if/when the description of it changed on ECW TV for a storyline, or if that was something people on message boards came up with years later.

17 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

All this Doc talk has me pondering. 

Who did you fear more between Doc & Gordy? They were by far the scariest team I ever saw as a kid. I absolutely loved them in their WCW run. 

That said, there was just something about Bam Bam that made me fear for the livelihood of Rick Steiner that sets him apart from Doc.  

Doc looked scarier. But then I think of "don't touch my van" and call it a tie

Doc was always way scarier to me.  Even when he was a babyface and smiling, I felt like he might snap in  the next five seconds and f*** someone up.  Gordy looked like someone who could and would hurt you, but was probably too lazy/sleepy/high to bother unless he really had to.

15 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

As stated, never said he wasn't hurt on the spot, question was if he actually broke his neck as everyone has been saying the last two decades. On the January 10th, 1995 Hardcore TV, Styles says again that "Sabu almost suffered a broken neck" against Benoit. I think teenage y'all just got worked. Which is a good thing, I like it when wrestling can trick people into believing something for 20 years that probably isn't true, even when the evidence is to the contrary. But I am curious to see if/when the description of it changed on ECW TV for a storyline, or if that was something people on message boards came up with years later.

Yeah, it seems odd that they'd downplay a legit injury - especially since working with a freakin' broken neck plays into the "tough guy" mentality pro wrestler plays into. I dunno.  Maybe Paul E. was afraid admitting a guy legit broke his neck in a match would be too much negative publicity and scare off..... tv/ppv.  Or maybe people would tune out if they revealed Sabu had a broken neck, thinking he'd tone down his style or take time off?  I dunno.  Neither of those seem likely but I can't think of a more plausible explanation.  LOL, maybe Sabu didn't tell anyone and it only became public info later on?  I don't think that was the case, but it sounds like something a pro wrestler would do.

(LOl, I"m now imagining the Monty Python "It's just a scratch.  It's just a flesh wound" skit starring Sabu).

Wasn't that incident how/when Benoit first got nicknamed "The Crippler?"  I can't think why you would downplay the injury.  "Hurter" Chris Benoit doesn't have the same ring to it.

Back to your original question, I'm never heard anyone say it was a less severe injury than "broken neck.".  Meltze reported it as a broken neck and seems to still think that was the case.  Google doesn't turn up anything to suggest the injury has been exaggerated over the years.