DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

CWA and USWA are the same company.  It was just a name change.

Isnt judging all of USWA on 96-97 like judging WCW based on 2000-01?

Yeah, maybe even worse since that's the year Jarrett sold it so 1997 is a complete outlier.

Who do you think was the lowest profile or even out of place guy to ever get a Buffer intro on Nitro?

Hard to look past The Wall..

I want to say Renegade got one for a TV Title match against Arn Anderson.  I know Johnny B. Badd got one against Arn Anderson too.

Bret Clark pitching a fit every time Buffer announced him almost made it seem like money well spent to me.

To me Buffer was an annoying aspect of WCW PPV main events- I mean, they ditched Capetta for this?

I liked the concept in giving it that big match feel, but the execution was near-always terrible (Bret Clark....Goldrod).

Yeah, but Capetta was the SHIT, not shit like Buffer. In fact I think Capetta edges out the Fink as my favorite announcer ever. . .

To me Buffer was an annoying aspect of WCW PPV main events- I mean, they ditched Capetta for this?

I liked the concept in giving it that big match feel, but the execution was near-always terrible (Bret Clark....Goldrod).

Yeah, but Capetta was the SHIT, not shit like Buffer. In fact I think Capetta edges out the Fink as my favorite announcer ever. . .

I really liked Capetta, but Fink's still the best for me. My issue with Capetta was that he wasn't always consistent with how he announced wrestlers in terms of how he would list their location, weight, etc... still loved his voice though.

• 3 weeks later...

did Michael Buffer even try? i always remember "triple d" diamond dallas and my personal favorite, Lex Luthor

That's still better than the pinhead who introduced the SST as "Shamu and Haku."  I think it was the same guy who introduced Bill Irwin as "Scott" Irwin, not long after Scott died.

First aborted Bret singles push.

Technically that was the third.  First was his feud with Bad News Brown.  Second was his house show feud with Mr. Perfect.  While I can't prove it, his awesome performance against Ted DiBiase at Survivor Series '90 seemed to be the time they decided to go with it since he started winning his singles matches more often than not from then on.

I think it was also because Anvil could eat a pin in his match.

So could Bret.  You could have interchanged both guys and the results would have been the same.  Bret and Neidhart as singles guys in 1989 were on the same level as Ronnie Garvin and The Red Rooster:  beat the jobbers and can't do shit against anybody else.

I'd theorise the placement was to put a 'worker' on Duggan's team, giving them a chance to work in some Bret vs. Savage stuff, and a bulky bloke (since the Rockers were smaller guys) on Warrior's team to take a loss.

So for pretty much the entirety of Nick Bockwinkel's active career he was in AWA. Did WWF (or WWWF) ever try to sign him before he retired and became an agent for them? WWF has agents who haven't done anything notable during their WWF career but they at least had a WWF career. You would think that if they would immediately hire him as a road agent, they would have been interested in him as a performer...

So for pretty much the entirety of Nick Bockwinkel's active career he was in AWA. Did WWF (or WWWF) ever try to sign him before he retired and became an agent for them? WWF has agents who haven't done anything notable during their WWF career but they at least had a WWF career. You would think that if they would immediately hire him as a road agent, they would have been interested in him as a performer...

Don't know for sure, but I've never heard that they offered him a job as an in-ring performer.  He was on the wrong side of locker room politics when he was there, so that might have kept him out.  Supposedly, the reason his agent/commentator stint was so short in '87 was that a lot of the wrestlers had worked for the AWA before jumping to the WWF and had heat with Verne, which they took out on Nick.  Allegedly, the reason Nick quit was that a group of guys disliked him and made his life miserable.  He worked mostly as an "agent in training" under Jay Strongbow, and Strongbow either felt threatened by Bockwinkel, or simply didn't want him around.

• Like 1

I didn't realize it, he was actually 50 years old in 1984 if Wikipedia is correct so I guess maybe it could have just been a case of him being too old for the 80s but I'm surprised he never stopped through New York at all in the 70s at least for a cup of coffee. I'm guessing WWF picking him up in 87 as an agent was just one of those "we will give you money to do something around here just to hurt Verne" kind of things...

I seem to remember rumors back in the day that Nick Bockwinkel was offered the "Million Dollar Man" gimmick before Ted DiBiase (or serving as DiBiase's manager), but that he turned it down due to his age and travel requirements.  Any truth to those rumors or just bunk?

JD