DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

AWA ran Salt Lake City and Las Vegas.

Re: Northland Wrestling Enterprises. They ran cities that had junior league hockey teams, like Sudbury and North Bay. Not the biggest cities, but seemingly big enough to keep running for a couple of decades. Wrestling Data has results for the promotion from 1946 to 1957. There's some shows near the Quebec-Ontario border listed as well.

Shire was Northern California. I think it was LeBell who ran Los Angeles. Just looking at their title histories, they ran close to Los Angeles, so the workers were probably home every night.

I believe the AWA was flying guys to Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, and then to the Bay Area after Shire closed up shop.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kronos said:

Are the Coliseum Videos clipped all to hell? Or they a lot of promos and squashes? 

I was looking at match listings, and I amazed at how many things they squeeze onto what I assume are 2 hr tapes. 

Going off on fuzzy memory but some of the tapes had matches that were "joined in progress" so they skipped maybe the first ten minutes or so.

6 hours ago, Kronos said:

Are the Coliseum Videos clipped all to hell? Or they a lot of promos and squashes? 

I was looking at match listings, and I amazed at how many things they squeeze onto what I assume are 2 hr tapes. 

Depends on the tape and the match.  Some matches they only show 1-2 minutes and others you get a full time-limit draw.  There are pretty much no entrances due to copyrights so they usually just get to the match.

Coliseum was pretty infamous for their bad clipjobs when they did edit though.  The British Bulldogs mysteriously disappearing during Survivor Series 87 being a prime example.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dewar said:

AWA ran Salt Lake City and Las Vegas.

Re: Northland Wrestling Enterprises. They ran cities that had junior league hockey teams, like Sudbury and North Bay. Not the biggest cities, but seemingly big enough to keep running for a couple of decades. Wrestling Data has results for the promotion from 1946 to 1957. There's some shows near the Quebec-Ontario border listed as well.

It was promoted by my Dads uncle Larry Kasaboski who along with his brother Alex were wrestlers for awhile.  About the only famous thing about it today is Ronnie Garvin wrestled there for awhile and a teenage Jimmy Garvin used to set the ring up and eventually met his wife/valet Precious in North Bay

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Kronos said:

Were Harlem Heat actually any good in the ring? We know Booker went on to be good. 

But is there anything in-ring recommended to watch from HH the team?

They fought The Nasty Boys roughly 473 times in 94/95. Odds are at least one of those matches is worth watching.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Harlem/Public Enemy garbage match from I think Uncensored with Dusty laughing his ass off is a must see.

Now that sounds like delicious Wrestlecrap of the highest order! I shall look it up right away. 

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Harlem/Public Enemy garbage match from I think Uncensored with Dusty laughing his ass off is a must see.

Uncensored '97

Tornado match! Everything is legal, and all 4 men are in play. The P.E. bring a bunch of hardcore stuff, like trash cans and cookie sheets. As a match, it's one of the worst things I have ever seen. They're literally walking through the motions for 90% of it. But for two reasons, it's one of the greatest things I have ever seen:

1. Sherri - every time the PE get outside the ring, she clobbers one of them. "They got to take that can away from her!"

2. Dusty gives the greatest commentary ever while laughing his ass off. I wish I had gone back and written down everything he says, and one day maybe I will. 

"That's a commode lid! Some bathroom in this building is missing a toilet lid! Is that a new toilet lid or a used one?"

"Hahaha, I used to do that to my little brother!"

• Like 1

There was an ECW promo where Public Enemy got ready for their 'Uncensored Match' by wearing dresses and wigs, and hitting each other with balloons and popcorn. It was hilarious. And then they went to WCW and actually had the match they had previously mocked.

• Like 1

Watching a bunch of those old 50s matches from the Chicago Ampitheatre that are up on YouTube. The commentary is something else. During the course of a single match, I feel like the guy can be both the best and worst announcer I've ever heard. Who is it? Were these Chicago matches his only gig?

7 hours ago, Kronos said:

Were Harlem Heat actually any good in the ring? We know Booker went on to be good. 

But is there anything in-ring recommended to watch from HH the team?

The series with the Nasties produced a few really fun matches, and usually had a TON of heat. Fall Brawl 96 is the standout. A few really good matches with the Steiners in 96-97. There are a few good syndicated matches with teams like The Fantastics. The American Males matches are pretty decent as well.

• Like 1