DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

10 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

The question was when did wrestlers get their themes played AFTER they won.  No one was asking about when did guys start coming to the ring to music.

I seem to remember Demolition's theme being played after they won. Hogan is the first guy that I remember having his theme song play after b/c he would do his postmatch posedown. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I seem to remember Demolition's theme being played after they won. Hogan is the first guy that I remember having his theme song play after b/c he would do his postmatch posedown. 

Demolition's music should be played as much as possible because it's that fucking awesome.

• Like 8

Yeah he did, AFAIK Zeus had exactly 5 matches 3 in WWF, (SuSl '89, SuSe '89, NHB: The Match) 1 in WWC with Abby, and the Doomsday Cage debacle in WCW).

But I count Zeus as a celebrity, not a wrestler. Otherwise guys like Mr T and Gene Okerlund would count).

When was El Gigante's first match? Was it GAB '90? 

On 6/3/2017 at 10:12 AM, Infinit said:

Zeus wrestled in Puerto Rico

Is that what he was doing over there? You don't say? I know he was IN a wrestling ring wandering around, but until now I wasn't clear on the purpose.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

What about DDP? I know he tried his hand at wrestling before he was a manager in the AWA but hurt his knee. Don't know if he actually wrestled in any territory though.

He wrestled for the attempted revival of Florida Championship Wrestling in 1989.

On 6/3/2017 at 2:35 AM, Happ Hazzard said:

Was Kevin Nash the first wrestler never to wrestle in a territory?

I don't know if we're only counting guys who debuted when territories were still a thing (before 1990 or so), but The Giant's first match was winning the WCW world title.

2 hours ago, Happ Hazzard said:

I always heard that Giant had one match before WCW. Where it was, I don't know. Did Larry Sharpe promote his own shows?

Cagematch lists one Paul Wight match prior to his WCW debut. From Larry Sharpe's WWA ... December 3, 1994 ...

WWA Heavyweight Title: Frank Finnegan (c) defeats Paul Wight by Count Out
WWA @ Route 30 Mall in Clementon, New Jersey, USA

Finnegan appears to have been a Sharpe "lifer" who was billed as being 6'8" and 450 pounds. Apparently passed away last year at age 50.