DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 10:34 AM, Shibata Is My Homie said:

Where would Dr D. David Schultz career in the WWF would've gone if he didn't smack John Stossel?

On the Schultz front, was recently re-reading a book on Stampede Wrestilng and the part where author Heath McCoy tries to track down Dr. D. is one of my favourites

After much back and forth, [Shultz' friend Bob] Bryla sent me an e-mail, passing on a message, supposedly from Dr. D: "Bob, tell Heath if he puts all the questions about me in frue/false form, I will look at them.  Let him know that i am on a mission in the Middle East area and it is top secret.  Don't tell him who, what, where or when."

The questions were sent off, and a few days later, the answer arrived.  Shults answered "true" to punching out Bruce [Hart], being a loner, and working as a bounty hunter.  He answered "false" to the suggestion that he was a hot-tempered sort who frightened his fellow wrestlers and tried to attack Mr. T.  He also added a question of his own to the list: "There are many lies about the great DOCTOR D. True."  In a parting message, Shults called himself "the greatest pro wrestler of all time" and claimed that lesser wrestlers like to spread lies about him out of envy.  "Be very careful of what you hear and what you read," he warned.

Was the message really from him?  It was certainly true to the character I had pieced together from so many sources.  Even Dr. D.'s e-mails are intimidating.

• Like 4

Could Craig Pittman have been a star (as Meltzer would say) "in United States?" And if not, surely he was tailor-made for Japan, right?  Yeah, I realize he wasn't a spring chicken when he got in the business, but that never stopped Bad News Allen...

3 hours ago, cool arrow said:

Could Craig Pittman have been a star (as Meltzer would say) "in United States?" And if not, surely he was tailor-made for Japan, right?  Yeah, I realize he wasn't a spring chicken when he got in the business, but that never stopped Bad News Allen...

Craig Pittman sending out Prince Iaukea to distract Cobra aka Fake Sting while he rappelled down from the ceiling to ambush him is one of my favorite things ever.

• Like 6

I was way into Craig Pittman, for reasons I can't really explain. I just dug his whole vibe. I was way into the cross armbreaker finish as well. I would think that if he wanted to work in Japan, he could have, he fought in Vale Tudo Japan if I remember correctly.

I can't believe they got through a whole Russo segment without anyone turning on anyone else. As soon as they started helping him, it was so obvious the Harris Twins were going to boot Roddy's head in before the segment ended, and then they just... didn't.

8 hours ago, AxB said:

I can't believe they got through a whole Russo segment without anyone turning on anyone else. As soon as they started helping him, it was so obvious the Harris Twins were going to boot Roddy's head in before the segment ended, and then they just... didn't.

Of course. 

Just when you thought they were doing that angle, Piper changed the....angle. 

14 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

I was way into Craig Pittman, for reasons I can't really explain. I just dug his whole vibe. I was way into the cross armbreaker finish as well. I would think that if he wanted to work in Japan, he could have, he fought in Vale Tudo Japan if I remember correctly.

I remember after beating some jobber on Nitro or Saturday Night, he yelled into the camera, "the beatings will continue until morale improves!" Pittman should've been inserted into the Regal/Finley feud just so all three of them could beat the crap out of each other for our enjoyment.

• Like 5

So, I'm watching the WWF in order from RAW 1 onward. I started 2 days ago and on episode 6. 

The internet wasn't a thing back them, and I didn't read PWI (because I never saw it at the market I went to), but what exactly was the purpose of Hogan returning in 1993, for a run that lasted just 5-6 months? Another question is what happened to Beefcake after Wrestlemania. Was this the time where they had to cut a lot if salary due to the steroids trial?

I've wondered this too. So much spin from all parties (Bret, Hogan, WWE docos) about what really went down.

ockham's razor suggests he was one of the first part-timer for Mania arrangements, brought in to do a mid-card program, they panicked with Bret, hotshotted the title onto Hogan with no real idea moving forward, and everyone backed away rather than just working out a comfortable fit.

I've seen it alleged Hogan refused to do the already announced tag match if he didn't get the belt.

They definitely seemed like they were planning Hogan vs Hart for SummerSlam (even gave them the magazine cover) which theoretically could've been another attempt at a passing the torch moment for the Hulkster, and a chance to maybe get Hart seen by more casual fans.

Of course we all know it fell apart badly one way or another.

On 4/28/2017 at 11:18 AM, cool arrow said:

I think he got held back by his gimmick. Not that it was that bad or anything, it was just way too cartoony for an era where they were moving towards reality based characters.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

So, I'm watching the WWF in order from RAW 1 onward. I started 2 days ago and on episode 6. 

The internet wasn't a thing back them, and I didn't read PWI (because I never saw it at the market I went to), but what exactly was the purpose of Hogan returning in 1993, for a run that lasted just 5-6 months? Another question is what happened to Beefcake after Wrestlemania. Was this the time where they had to cut a lot if salary due to the steroids trial?

Business was not good in 92-93 so Vince panicked and thought putting the belt back on Hogan would help.  It didn't.

Beefcake wrestled with Hogan in tags against Money Inc through July.  In fact, that was all Hogan did was tags in that period.  His title loss to Yokozuna at KOTR was his only title defense (not counting his match with Muta in Japan.)

This is everything Hogan did in 1993 for the WWF, in reverse order (dd/mm/yyyy):

06.08.1993    WWF World Heavyweight Title: Hulk Hogan defeats Yokozuna (c) by DQ
WWF Summer Tour @ Sheffield Arena in Sheffield, England, UK    

04.08.1993    WWF World Heavyweight Title: Hulk Hogan defeats Yokozuna (c) by DQ
WWF Summer Tour @ Earls Court in London, England, UK    

03.08.1993    WWF World Heavyweight Title: Hulk Hogan defeats Yokozuna (c) by DQ
WWF Summer Tour @ Royal Highland Centre in Edinburgh, Scotland, UK    

02.08.1993    WWF World Heavyweight Title: Hulk Hogan defeats Yokozuna (c) by DQ
WWF Summer Tour @ Deutschlandhalle in Berlin, Deutschland    

01.08.1993    WWF World Heavyweight Title: Hulk Hogan defeats Yokozuna (c) by DQ
WWF Summer Tour @ Olympiahalle in München, Bayern, Deutschland

31.07.1993    WWF World Heavyweight Title: Hulk Hogan defeats Yokozuna (c) by DQ
WWF Summer Tour @ Stadthalle in Offenbach, Hessen, Deutschland

30.07.1993    WWF World Heavyweight Title: Hulk Hogan defeats Yokozuna (c) by DQ
WWF Summer Tour @ Westfalenhalle in Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Deutschland

29.07.1993    WWF World Heavyweight Title: Hulk Hogan defeats Yokozuna (c) by DQ
WWF Summer Tour @ Wien, Österreich

26.06.1993    (Special Referee: Sgt. Slaughter): The Mega Maniacs (Brutus Beefcake & Hulk Hogan) defeat Money Inc. (Irwin R. Schyster & Ted DiBiase)
WWF House Show @ Boston Garden in Boston, Massachusetts, USA

13.06.1993    WWF World Heavyweight Title: Yokozuna defeats Hulk Hogan (c) (13:08) - TITLE CHANGE !!!
WWF King Of The Ring 1993 @ Nutter Center in Dayton, Ohio, USA

12.06.1993    WWF World Tag Team Title Match (Special Referee: Sgt. Slaughter): The Mega Maniacs (Brutus Beefcake & Hulk Hogan) defeat Money Inc. (Irwin R. Schyster & Ted DiBiase) (c) by DQ
WWF House Show @ Market Square Arena in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA

11.06.1993    WWF World Tag Team Title: The Mega Maniacs (Brutus Beefcake & Hulk Hogan) defeat Money Inc. (Irwin R. Schyster & Ted DiBiase) (c) by DQ
WWF House Show @ Richmond Coliseum in Richmond, Virginia, USA

06.06.1993    WWF World Tag Team Title: The Mega Maniacs (Brutus Beefcake & Hulk Hogan) defeat Money Inc. (Irwin R. Schyster & Ted DiBiase) (c) by DQ
WWF House Show @ Knickerbocker Arena in Albany, New York, USA

05.06.1993    WWF World Tag Team Title: The Mega Maniacs (Brutus Beefcake & Hulk Hogan) defeat Money Inc. (Irwin R. Schyster & Ted DiBiase) (c) by DQ
WWF House Show @ Target Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

04.06.1993    WWF World Tag Team Title Match (Special Referee: Sgt. Slaughter): The Mega Maniacs (Brutus Beefcake & Hulk Hogan) defeat Money Inc. (Irwin R. Schyster & Ted DiBiase) (c) by DQ
WWF House Show @ Winnipeg Arena in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

22.05.1993    WWF World Tag Team Title: The Mega Maniacs (Brutus Beefcake & Hulk Hogan) defeat Money Inc. (Irwin R. Schyster & Ted DiBiase) (c) by DQ
WWF House Show @ The Spectrum in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA

22.05.1993    WWF World Tag Team Title: The Mega Maniacs (Brutus Beefcake & Hulk Hogan) defeat Money Inc. (Irwin R. Schyster & Ted DiBiase) (c) by DQ
WWF House Show @ Brendan Byrne Arena in East Rutherford, New Jersey, USA

21.05.1993    WWF World Tag Team Title: The Mega Maniacs (Brutus Beefcake & Hulk Hogan) defeat Money Inc. (Irwin R. Schyster & Ted DiBiase) (c) by DQ
WWF House Show @ Civic Center in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA

04.04.1993    WWF World Heavyweight Title: Hulk Hogan defeats Yokozuna (c) (0:21) - TITLE CHANGE !!!
WWF WrestleMania IX @ Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

04.04.1993    WWF World Tag Team Title: Money Inc. (Irwin R. Schyster & Ted DiBiase) (c) defeat The Mega Maniacs (Brutus Beefcake & Hulk Hogan) by DQ (18:27)
WWF WrestleMania IX @ Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

19.03.1993    The Mega Maniacs (Brutus Beefcake & Hulk Hogan) defeat Money Inc. (Irwin R. Schyster & Ted DiBiase)    House Show
WWF House Show @ Lakeland Civic Center in Lakeland, Florida, USA

• Like 1

I was at the first Hogan post match WrestleMania show in Pittsburgh.  Walked up the night off and bought 2 front row tickets. House was horrible for a Hogan event- somewhere between 2,500-2,800 people.  I remember the heat was put on the fact that it was a tag, and not a singles match.  Next few shows featuring the tag match listed above drew poorly as well...

In the first 6 episodes of RAW, I've seen the following future stars used as enhancement talent. 

PJ Walker

Glenn Ruth  (Headbanger Thrasher)

Duane Gill (complete with balding two tone mullet)

Scott Taylor

On a side note: Martel knew how to get heat. What a great bit to come out and kick out the RAW ring girls and show them how to model. 

Did you get to that one Headshrinkers/PJ Walker and some other guy match, where PJ gets knocked out and just lays in the ring unconscious the whole time? 

That was pretty scary looking, and stupid too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

In the first 6 episodes of RAW, I've seen the following future stars used as enhancement talent. 

PJ Walker

Glenn Ruth  (Headbanger Thrasher)

Duane Gill (complete with balding two tone mullet)

Scott Taylor

On a side note: Martel knew how to get heat. What a great bit to come out and kick out the RAW ring girls and show them how to model. 

I'm not sure I would classify them as stars. . . .maybe Credible.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Did you get to that one Headshrinkers/PJ Walker and some other guy match, where PJ gets knocked out and just lays in the ring unconscious the whole time? 

That was pretty scary looking, and stupid too. 

I'm not for certain, but I think that was the match that got PJ regular work in the WWF.  Walker mentioned on maybe Colt's podcast that there was one shitkicking he took that made Vince take notice.

Also, the Headshrinkers pretty much Moondogging their opponents in 93 is kinda of a forgotten thing.  They were just killing guys for a brief period.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2017 at 9:59 AM, BubblegumRogue said:

I think he got held back by his gimmick. Not that it was that bad or anything, it was just way too cartoony for an era where they were moving towards reality based characters.

I kinda get what you mean, even though it wasn't a cartoony gimmick, or really a gimmick at all.  But he did play it kinda over-the-top.