DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 2:36 PM, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Why do you hate sharks so much?

One of them was going to eat The Fonz. It's still grudgeworthy.

• Like 2

On 4/21/2017 at 2:30 AM, CreativeControl said:

I fell down the rabbit hole of watching Stone Cold Steve Austin stuff from 1997 on Youtube last night - particular his Owen feud and Rock fued. Man, it's crazy how unique and fresh his whole schtick is - moreso then but even today he'd stick out like a sore thumb.

This particularly stood out. I remember watching it at the time but 20(!) years on it's like he's the second coming/more sane rebirth of Dr D David Schultz

I'd actually sorta forgotten about all this stuff and throwing the IC belt off the bridge and all that, all I really remember these days is main event Stone Cold 

The part where he does commentary on Jim Ross's picture then shoots him in the dick still kills me.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Shibata Is My Homie said:

Where would Dr D. David Schultz career in the WWF would've gone if he didn't smack John Stossel?

He would have moved further down the card and eventually been out of the WWF by the end of the year. He ends up bouncing around places like the AWA, Portland, Continental and maybe Memphis. If he hits the gas hard like Dino Bravo then Vince would bring him back as a mid card heel for a few years, maybe he ends up in Smokey Mountain feuding with Bob Armstrong which leads to Hogan bringing him into WCW, he shows up on Saturday Night a few times then doesn't get booked but still gets a check because they forgot to release him. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Victator said:

Bulldog told Bret to kick out of any pin attempts at one and Vader said not to do any submission spots. At the time Bret ignored them saying he trusted Vince.

Between the Montreal Screwjob and not doubting for a second the J-O-B Hogan was willing to do for him at Summerslam, Bret is shoot dumber and more gullible when it comes to trusting people than even Sting's wrestling character.

• Like 2

I don't know enough about Stampede or Stu to say this for sure, but maybe his dad was a promoter that didn't treat his wrestlers that way and Bret just took it for granted because he hadn't gotten burned before. And Vince is notorious for treating talent like family right until the moment the knife comes out. 

• Like 3

Bret and Vince were very close up to the final month or so. Even at his most angry, he seemed very conflicted about Vince. He seemed to think of Vince as a father figure. 

An important detail is Bret did not want to leave. He was hoping to come back eventually. So I would guess he assumed Vince was hoping for the same thing. 

I think if Owen had not died, Bret would have ended up back by 2000.

The best early Stone Cold thing is the night he did commentary on RAW and asked Vince to paint him up a bus like Lex and then Austin would get out and whup everyones ass at each stop.

• Like 8