DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

3 hours ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

LOL.  What was the story with Shawn Stasiak tapingg wrestlers backstage without their consent.  Was that during his WWF or WCW run, and did those tapes or what was on them ever come to light?

http://www.mikemooneyham.com/1999/11/19/joke-backfired-on-shawn-stasiak/

• Like 1

Why did The Dupps work the entirety of 2000 in WWE, only doing house shows and dark matches? I can't think of other wrestlers - especially a tag team with a gimmick - used that much but never featured on TV (they did something similar with Scott Vick but he worked half as many shows as The Dupps).

3 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

Has it ever come out what Taker thought of Montreal? As lockerroom leader, a mans man, and respected figure, I don't remember ever hearing his take or reaction to the screwjob

Well, the word on the street is he was one of the guys that almost quit over it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EricR said:

Why did The Dupps work the entirety of 2000 in WWE, only doing house shows and dark matches? I can't think of other wrestlers - especially a tag team with a gimmick - used that much but never featured on TV (they did something similar with Scott Vick but he worked half as many shows as The Dupps).

I may have to ask Otto about this next time I see him.

• Like 1

I fell down the rabbit hole of watching Stone Cold Steve Austin stuff from 1997 on Youtube last night - particular his Owen feud and Rock fued. Man, it's crazy how unique and fresh his whole schtick is - moreso then but even today he'd stick out like a sore thumb.

This particularly stood out. I remember watching it at the time but 20(!) years on it's like he's the second coming/more sane rebirth of Dr D David Schultz

I'd actually sorta forgotten about all this stuff and throwing the IC belt off the bridge and all that, all I really remember these days is main event Stone Cold 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

He said "It's water over the bridge"

I love when people fuck up cliches/metaphors.  Even better when they mix them, like when Meltzer conflates "balls to the wall" and "go all out" and says that a guy "went balls out."  Like a dude is just raging with his nutsack swinging in the breeze.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

My favorite mixed up metaphor is "throwing someone over the side of the bus." 

I once came across a homeless guy in Baltimore ranting about other homeless people invading his spot and "taking food out of my pocket."  Which is better than "taking money out of my mouth," I guess.

I had a roommate in college that would say "I'd just as leaf not" when he wanted to say no to something,  I think he was going for "I'd just as leave not" which doesn' t make sense either but is at least an expression I've heard before.  Throwing the word "leaf" either made me laugh or annoyed me, depending on how stressed and/or drunk I was at the time.

5 hours ago, Mr Harms said:

My mum says "you're getting on my wick!"

That's pretty standard. I mean, originally it was someone doing rhyming slang wrong, but Alf Garnett used to say that on telly in the 60s.