DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

3 hours ago, OSJ said:

Don't know. The only guy that could have given you an honest answer is dead and Piper was as big a bullshitter as Hogan, so I wouldn't have put too much stock in his explanation.

Dying was the ultimate changing of the question.

• Like 14

12 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

I know I'm stating the obvious, but it is incredible how awful Russo was on TV. I just watched him hog away all the spotlight from Steiner who beat Goldberg. Also, did he ever really get any type of come-uppance? 

Watching PPVs from 2000, WCW in their worst period still drew big and vocal crowds. Had they had a decent structure and reasonable business model, they might have very well stayed alive. Of course, they might have never gotten that big without the dollar wasting.

Russo got to shave RIC FLAIR's head with no comeuppance. How ridiculous is that?

He won the WCW title and never lost it in the ring. I know it was b/c he had to forfeit it due to a concussion but that always bugged me. 

54 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Russo got to shave RIC FLAIR's head with no comeuppance. How ridiculous is that?

He won the WCW title and never lost it in the ring. I know it was b/c he had to forfeit it due to a concussion but that always bugged me. 

I still wonder the original plan was for Vince Russo: WCW World Champion. How would that had gone?

As much as I hate having two World Titles, at least it isn't treated as a hot potato any more. Between 1999 and 2000, Vince McMahon, Vince Russo, and David Arquette all got World Title reigns. If Russo had been booking the WWE in 2007, he would've had Kevin Federline win the WWE Championship when he went over John Cena.

When Hogan dies and goes to Heaven, his personal heaven is going to consist of pinning all of the guys he did jobs for and never got the win back - pinning them over and over and over, for eternity.

Then again, that assumes Hulkster is going north instead of south when he dies, which may be too large of an assumption.

15 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

My thoughts exactly.

I have never heard of the concussion before. Explains it a bit, but he still could have been put in a safe submission and tapped out, being inferior to every wrestler. 

Then again this was during the time period where Oklahoma cut a promo about not being an athlete, then won the cruiserweight title from a woman who had wrestled and won titles around the world.

3 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

My thoughts exactly.

I have never heard of the concussion before. Explains it a bit, but he still could have been put in a safe submission and tapped out, being inferior to every wrestler. 

Then again this was during the time period where Oklahoma cut a promo about not being an athlete, then won the cruiserweight title from a woman who had wrestled and won titles around the world.

Yeah, he got a concussion when Goldberg speared him through the cage. That's how he won the belt. He was technically the first guy out of the cage so he was declared the champ. I think he hit his head on the guardrail once he went through the cage.

17 hours ago, The Nature Boy said:

I still wonder the original plan was for Vince Russo: WCW World Champion. How would that had gone?

As much as I hate having two World Titles, at least it isn't treated as a hot potato any more. Between 1999 and 2000, Vince McMahon, Vince Russo, and David Arquette all got World Title reigns. If Russo had been booking the WWE in 2007, he would've had Kevin Federline win the WWE Championship when he went over John Cena.

There were something like 25 WCW World title changes in 2000. 

• Like 2

On 4/7/2017 at 7:05 AM, RandomAct said:

Something I thought about lately. Anyone else ever find it odd that Piper didn't come into WCW just for Hogan to get his "win back" on him? Hogan jobs CLEAN in the first match, and barely escapes with his title at Superbrawl. Hell, go down the line to Halloween Havoc,and Hogan loses again. Was this just a case of Piper being Piper and steadfastly refusing to do any jobs? Or was it Hogan actually playing nice? Maybe both? Considering how Hogan was around this time with guys like Warrior(and apparently trying to bring in Yoko for the same reason), it always stuck out to me.

i've always believed it was twofold:

first, Piper absolutely refused to lay down for Hogan. 

second, Hogan agreed because 1: he got to keep the title, and 2: he could point to this series that he was willing to lose (i.e.  "i just lost to Piper, i can't lose twice in a row" or "i have no problem losing, i just put over Roddy Piper")

• Like 1

edit: double post.

that being said, i would've been 100% ok with Federline beating Cena for the title. in fact, i can't think of anybody i WOULDN'T have been OK with beating Cena for the title at that point.

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 1

Just seeing Dubba J with Big Goldie and Russo standing there convinces me that I do not want to relive that year in any form.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, joseph2112 said:

Yea, you guys bringing up 2000 WCW and Russo is triggering the fuck out of me. 

I think now I will go beat up a tree in my back yard with a foam lead pipe. 

FIFY

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Shane Douglas and Jeff Jarrett could conceivably be the same wrestler really. Almost identical career paths. 

France Fournier and 207 discarded balsa wood guitars might disagree.

• Like 2

I've started bingewatching the network, mainly focusing on the Monday Night Wars series. A guy oddly present in the early Nitro era is Steve McMichael. I understood from the footage that he was a commentator, sth that passed me by in Germany where we had German commentary. Still, him hanging around with Savage and Hogan at pressers makes it seem as if he was considered a big deal. 

Did McMichaels involvement get Mainstream recognition back then? It never gets brought up in the documentaries, but this wouldn't be the only flaw I found in those episodes so far.

1 hour ago, ReiseReise said:

I've started bingewatching the network, mainly focusing on the Monday Night Wars series. A guy oddly present in the early Nitro era is Steve McMichael. I understood from the footage that he was a commentator, sth that passed me by in Germany where we had German commentary. Still, him hanging around with Savage and Hogan at pressers makes it seem as if he was considered a big deal. 

Did McMichaels involvement get Mainstream recognition back then? It never gets brought up in the documentaries, but this wouldn't be the only flaw I found in those episodes so far.

I don't really remember the mainstream sports media giving it any attention back then. He'd been out of the NFL for a while at that point so it wasn't big news. I do remember them picking up on Kevin Greene's involvement, so they did mention Mongo when they teamed. He also got some press when he wrestled Reggie White. Otherwise it wasn't big news that Mongo was wrestling.

• Like 1

They made a big deal of him on Bellator the other week. "Few people can claim to have won a Superbowl, even fewer can claim to have been a member of the Four Horsemen. Only one can claim both! Steve McMichael, Ladies and Gentlemen!"

• Like 3

You know, in hindsight, Mongo wasn't all that bad in the ring compared to other football players. Id say he was a better worker than Goldberg. 

I just remembered that he kept the briefcase gimmick apart of his act for his entire run. From the moment he was handed it to turn on Kevin Greene and join The Horsemen he had always carried that briefcase to the ring.

If Mongo got started in the 80s he would have been bigtime.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

You know, in hindsight, Mongo wasn't all that bad in the ring compared to other football players. Id say he was a better worker than Goldberg. 

I just remembered that he kept the briefcase gimmick apart of his act for his entire run. From the moment he was handed it to turn on Kevin Greene and join The Horsemen he had always carried that briefcase to the ring.

If Mongo got started in the 80s he would have been bigtime.

Obviously, Mongo wanted to keep his stash of blow nearby. You can't leave your blow unattended in a wrestling lockerroom.

• Like 5