DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Why did WWE decide to have WrestleMania in arenas for 21 and 22?  The previous years had been in baseball stadiums (not counting 20 obviously at MSG for good reason)

I think they wanted to hit the big 3 US cities over 3 years, and wanted to jack up ticket prices without playing to half empty arenas. 

I don't know if running an outdoor event in Chicago in March would be feasible, although they've run outdoors in NY since then so who knows.

And I don't know if WWE could ever sell out a stadium in Los Angeles.

5 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

I always figured they wanted to cover the cities from 2, after 20, for nostalgia purposes. New York (XX), LA (XXI), Chicago (XXII).

Yeah I'm just surprised because it feels like they left money on the table. I'd love for them to run MSG again but it looks like those days are over.

17 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

I was thinking of that rumour about Gary Hart being brought into WWE with a stable of monsters in the 2008 before. How cool would it have been to hear "Gary Hart presents... UMAAAAGA!" just once

Would Vince have brought Gary Hart back after he quit on his first day of employment with them back in the 80's

9 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Would Vince have brought Gary Hart back after he quit on his first day of employment with them back in the 80's

If there was money to be had, Vince would bring back anyone not known as Nailz.

I think Vince would even bring back Nailz if it SOMEHOW could make him a lot of money. There's nothing I can conceive of, but he would do it. Have him come out and attack whomever during Bossman's HOF induction when or if that happens, I have no clue if he's in or it's this year or not. Instant hottest feud ever! He can claim it's revenge for Big Show's daddy.

The story was he was being brought in to manage Earthquake, flew to town but no one was there to pick him up and he felt insulted so he flew home. Vince kicked off saying he'd paid for him to come to work so Hart mailed him a check for the plane trip. Can't remember if he mentions it or says something different in his book

8 hours ago, Ryan said:

I think Vince would even bring back Nailz if it SOMEHOW could make him a lot of money. There's nothing I can conceive of, but he would do it. Have him come out and attack whomever during Bossman's HOF induction when or if that happens, I have no clue if he's in or it's this year or not. Instant hottest feud ever! He can claim it's revenge for Big Show's daddy.

Boss Man was inducted by Slick last year and there was no sign of Nailz anywhere.

7 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

The story was he was being brought in to manage Earthquake, flew to town but no one was there to pick him up and he felt insulted so he flew home. Vince kicked off saying he'd paid for him to come to work so Hart mailed him a check for the plane trip. Can't remember if he mentions it or says something different in his book

Interesting. Never knew it was Earthquake. In his book he mentioned he was brought in to manage a younger guy named Cujo who was really big and fairly agile for his size. They were going to bring him into be a Hogan Monster of the Month and Hart was going to manage him. He never mentioned that it was Quake but the timeline fits. Tenta would've been about 22 or 23 at that point and I don't think he'd started in sumo yet.

17 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

A manager who didn't stooge or bump would not have been a good fit for 80s/early 90s WWE.

Exactly, he would have been a square peg in a round hole during that time. He would have been perfect in the Three Wise Men era of just doing promos for his charges on TV and walking them to the ring at the Garden. If the national expansion wasn't starting at the time Hart could have easily stepped into The Grand Wizard's spot after he passed.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, happjack said:

Exactly, he would have been a square peg in a round hole during that time. He would have been perfect in the Three Wise Men era of just doing promos for his charges on TV and walking them to the ring at the Garden. If the national expansion wasn't starting at the time Hart could have easily stepped into The Grand Wizard's spot after he passed.

As someone who grew up on WWF, the first time I saw Hart was in his late 80s NWA run.  Watching him stand up to Flair during a Flair/Funk match was just bizarre.

• Like 1