DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

You know which one of Tugboat's family is having a great year? Cousin Dilapidated.

Ok, more serious question. When were any of the Villanos first active in the US, and are any of them still in the business?

• Like 5

On Sunday, December 11, 2016 at 4:18 PM, Edwin said:

Can you name a couple of guys who've actually come forward and said Russo has helped them? Which undercard guys are you specifically talking about?

Jarrett likely never gets even a sniff at a world title without Russo.  Maybe Booker, as well.

7 hours ago, zev said:

You know which one of Tugboat's family is having a great year? Cousin Dilapidated.

Well, you brought up Tugboat, I have to bring this up.  I was reminded about the free wrestling on Amazon Prime so I watched a Best of Southwest Championship Wrestling comp hosted by Ox Baker and some nobody.  And they started talking about a Tugboat match.  The future Typhoon and Shockmaster.  Fred Ottman.  And what a great guy he was.  And what a shame, that he just died too soon.

Well, ironically, he wrestled Tugboat Taylor. And destroys him.  Match ends and Ox Baker again tells us how sad it was that Tugboat died so soon.  What a tragedy.

Tugboat is still alive.  

Ox is dead.  

You can literally watch a dead person eulogize someone who at this moment is still alive.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Jarrett, Mike Sanders and his whole crew, Charles Wright.. those guys Rob ably had the most to gain. 

So the TNA founding crew then?

On 12/15/2016 at 1:16 AM, sydneybrown said:

Well, you brought up Tugboat, I have to bring this up.  I was reminded about the free wrestling on Amazon Prime so I watched a Best of Southwest Championship Wrestling comp hosted by Ox Baker and some nobody.  And they started talking about a Tugboat match.  The future Typhoon and Shockmaster.  Fred Ottman.  And what a great guy he was.  And what a shame, that he just died too soon.

Well, ironically, he wrestled Tugboat Taylor. And destroys him.  Match ends and Ox Baker again tells us how sad it was that Tugboat died so soon.  What a tragedy.

Tugboat is still alive.  

Ox is dead.  

You can literally watch a dead person eulogize someone who at this moment is still alive.

I've been watching that and Ox Baker is all over the place... His partner is no help at all. He announces that an upcoming match will feature Wahoo McDaniel against the "original" Mr. Fuji. It was actually a very young Atsushi Onita. The next match featured an eighteen year old Shawn Michaels with color commentary from a man who had clearly just snorted the entire country of Bolivia...Al Madril.

It's tremendous.

• 2 weeks later...

Any idea where Rick Martel was in the Fall of 1984?  As AWA champ he is all but AWOL in October and November.  

I have to wonder if Mad Dog Vachon regretting jumping from the AWA only to get but a handful of prelim matches for the most part each month. 

On 11/30/2016 at 3:56 PM, RandomAct said:

This is a HUGE longshot, but does anyone remember a mid 90's Mississippi indy called Deep South Wrestling(later Southern Championship Wrestling)? It was booked by Crybaby Buxton(Lolly Dude) and ran for about a year.  I used to watch it every weekend while it ran locally in MS, but I can find next to NOTHING online.  Would love to be able to find this footage, as they actually had some decent stuff. Used guys like Jake Roberts, Dr. Death, Tommy Rogers, Hammer Valentine and so on.

I know nothing about it but know who to ask. Gotten to know lots of the MS vets over the past few years.

• Like 1

FWIW, Rock gives Russo a lot of credit in various interviews, and I think Foley praised him in one of his books (in a backhanded way by also bringing up the WCW disaster) and I feel like Austin has given him credit as well.

On 1/2/2017 at 10:15 PM, bobholly138 said:

I know nothing about it but know who to ask. Gotten to know lots of the MS vets over the past few years.

Talked to one guy that worked for that fed,The Prince of Pain Joe Kane.He says he knows of a few matches up on Youtube waiting on him to link them to me.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2017 at 5:00 AM, RandomAct said:

Awesome!

No problem man. Figured at least one of the MS guys either knew or worked for that group.

I wish I could find the riot Jamie Dundee started in Ripley MS again. It was up on Youtube for a bit cause it had made the local news.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, this is an odd one and it is more about this site than the match itself.

I recall reading on this site ages ago, possibly in one of the actual DVDVRs, someone breaking down an early 90s Freebirds with Badstreet 6 person tag in depth.  What I recall was them discussing the early part of the match where that even though the Freebirds had virtually no offense they were in control as they controlled the pace and never let the faces string any sort of offense together.

Does anyone else recall this, and if so is it still up here anywhere?  I wanted to show it to someone.