DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

7 hours ago, Mike Zeidler said:

Had I known St. Louis to be so rare, I wouldn't have thrown out the 30+ VHS tapes of Wrestling at The Chase a co-worker gave me back in 2004

GODDAMMIT ZEIDLER! IT'S A VHS BUSINESS.

Seriously though, I never talked with someone on the phone that ever committed a hate crime against wrestling

• Like 3

This is a HUGE longshot, but does anyone remember a mid 90's Mississippi indy called Deep South Wrestling(later Southern Championship Wrestling)? It was booked by Crybaby Buxton(Lolly Dude) and ran for about a year.  I used to watch it every weekend while it ran locally in MS, but I can find next to NOTHING online.  Would love to be able to find this footage, as they actually had some decent stuff. Used guys like Jake Roberts, Dr. Death, Tommy Rogers, Hammer Valentine and so on.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RandomAct said:

This is a HUGE longshot, but does anyone remember a mid 90's Mississippi indy called Deep South Wrestling(later Southern Championship Wrestling)? It was booked by Crybaby Buxton(Lolly Dude) and ran for about a year.  I used to watch it every weekend while it ran locally in MS, but I can find next to NOTHING online.  Would love to be able to find this footage, as they actually had some decent stuff. Used guys like Jake Roberts, Dr. Death, Tommy Rogers, Hammer Valentine and so on.

I remember this it would be on late Saturday nights here in TN 

Yeah, I remember it airing here in that kind of late late Friday night timeslot paired with the North Georgia Wrestling Alliance show (Lugnut The Salvage Man, son).  I don't remember if it replaced ECW or the other way around but I don't think either lasted very long in that slot.  I think this is where Glenn Gilbertti debuted the Disco Inferno character working with Terry Taylor.  I recognized him as "The Georgia Millionaire" Glenn Gilbernetti*.  Also, Cousin Junior looking as big as Uncle Elmer.

*From NGWA or maybe the predecessor Georgia All-Star Wrestling where Georgia just started a state lottery and Gilbernetti claimed to have won.

2 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

So weird he never worked for Vince at all.

I seem to remember a rumor that Disco was going to be brought in with the Honky Tonk Man as his manager. The rest of the story said he was on the outs with WCW because he refused to job to Jacqueline. He did end up jobbing to her anyway.

Looking at old Observers from that time, Disco and WWF both said there were no negotiations, but Dave theorized that it was possible they were only saying it because they were waiting out Disco's contract.  But then Rockabilly showed up and the topic was never brought up again.

Someone literally asked Dave that question in the Observer mailbag last week and he went out of his way not to answer it.  I'm not even sure if he knows.

On 12/2/2016 at 11:09 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I seem to remember a rumor that Disco was going to be brought in with the Honky Tonk Man as his manager. The rest of the story said he was on the outs with WCW because he refused to job to Jacqueline. He did end up jobbing to her anyway.

I remember that one too. When Honky was doing his search for his protege, everyone thought that Disco was a lock for it. He hadn't been on WCW tv for a while so everyone assumed he had been let go and was going to jump for that angle.

• Like 2

Didn;t Disco later say that the plan was for him to be Honky's protege but he didn't like the pitch (i.e. why would a guy with a Disco Gimmick team up with an Elvis gimmick?). Also he said that the offer he got was lower than what he made in WCW so he bit the bullet and jobbed ot Jackie and git semi-pushed upon his return

James

4 hours ago, J.H. said:

Didn;t Disco later say that the plan was for him to be Honky's protege but he didn't like the pitch (i.e. why would a guy with a Disco Gimmick team up with an Elvis gimmick?). Also he said that the offer he got was lower than what he made in WCW so he bit the bullet and jobbed ot Jackie and git semi-pushed upon his return

James

Maybe Disco was going to be writing some songs sampling the Honky Tonk Man's entrance themes. It's a stretch, but at least it's an attempt at a logical connection between HTM and Disco Inferno.

On 12/2/2016 at 8:09 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Disco confirmed this last week on Talk is Jericho, BTW.

20 minutes ago, Thunderlips said:

What kind of career Barry Windham would've had if he didn't flake out on the WWF in 1984 and burned bridges in the NWA? Multiple time NWA Champion?

I can't imagine him doing much else than US Express in 84, but his 89 WWF run I can definitely see him getting a main event programme eventually.

As far as NWA champion, he'd have definitely got it at some point but he might just as equally have been stuck in Dusty's shadow