DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

30 minutes ago, elizium said:

There probably really wasn't a pre-crazy Sabu. I remember a blurb from a quick hits column, in a 90 or 91 Apter mag, about how there's a wrestler named Sabu who's basically 6ft of scar tissue.

It's like how Arn Anderson was never a kid. Arn was always a surly, balding middle aged man. Sabu was never a kid. He's always been a scarred up, pothead, touring the country in a dilapidated Winnebago.

• Like 5

On 11/8/2016 at 5:52 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's like how Arn Anderson was never a kid. Arn was always a surly, balding middle aged man. Sabu was never a kid. He's always been a scarred up, pothead, touring the country in a dilapidated Winnebago.

You're not lying.  There's footage of Arn Anderson in Southeastern Championship Wrestling acting like he's a young stud and he's probably in his early 20s and he looks 40.

2:00 in.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Guys, does anyone recall the date of the Nitro where they showed Jim Duggan's retirement speech when he had cancer?

Im trying to figure it out, but one thing I do remember is that I'm almost positive it was on Thunder so that puts it after January 1998

EDIT: His announcement aired on the 9/10/1998 Thunder, but was done during a Saturday Night taping

• Like 1

On 11/8/2016 at 10:54 AM, keith_h said:

Sabu gets pretty torn up in this match. If there were more matches like this on his early FMW tours that could have went a long way to adding to his scar collection.

If that bump over the wire onto the outside didn't cause about half of those scars, what would? 

Also, Sabu deserves his own Winnebago Tour reality show. No script, he just ODs, gets injured, tapes himself up, keeps rolling with his psycho manager/valet

• Like 2

On 11/3/2016 at 11:18 PM, PetrolCB said:

Whoever has them last, presumably keeps them. RVD used the old winged eagle ECW TV title at a recent Comic Con, and Kidman posted a pic of the WCW Cruiser tag on Twitter a few months back. Unlike today, where everyone puts the belts back into the road case (depressingly shown in the Bryan doc, where he's on cloud nine, and then stores it prior to showering), I'm guessing the last champs have them. Which, if I remember correctly, was why RVD had a replica strap in '06, because they couldn't get it back from Rhyno(?), when he was duel champ. 

On a side note, it'll seem like a minor discrepancy, but why is Becky sporting a replica belt still? That's embarrassing. 

All the ECW belts were kept by the talent that held them at the time. Doring and Roadkill even did the occasional title defense. Rhino's TV belt was stolen from his home, and he used the ECW belt in a TNA angle.

Why is there seemingly so little footage from St. Louis out there? I can go onto YouTube and watch a ton of Memphis, or Portland, or Texas, orold WWF/NWA tv or a bunch of other promotions, but there's next to nothing from Wrestling At the Chase. 

I know Sam Munchnick used to sell some footage. Is that all there is? It's one of the promotions I've seen next to nothing of, so I'd love to dive in to whatever is out there. 

Yeah, pretty sure Larry has the footage. He released a bunch of footage that he announced on; it's for sale in the back of the Chase book. 

Sucks that the greatest ever Murdoch promo from St. Louis after the tag match against David Von Erich and I think Gene Kiniski isn't on Youtube anymore. I did find this though, which has the story of Murdoch buying beer that was so cheap it literally had no label and was just a white can, a la Repo Man. There's another one I found on there where in Japan in '72, Flair tried to grab a fry off of Murdoch's plate and he stabbed through his hand into the table with his fork and said "Rookie, don't touch my plate" hahaha

On 11/10/2016 at 1:39 AM, sydneybrown said:

You're not lying.  There's footage of Arn Anderson in Southeastern Championship Wrestling acting like he's a young stud and he's probably in his early 20s and he looks 40.

Recently saw Arn as a young job guy in Mid-South and swear to god he looks like Cheers era Frasier Crane.