DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

On Wednesday, October 19, 2016 at 11:11 AM, Michael Sweetser said:

Just because wrestling kept serving the same terrible meal since doesn't make it any more edible seeing it being made the first time.  Just because the same things happened again doesn't mean WCW gets a pass for being the first to fuck it up.  

My general guideline was that WCW was pretty much shit at any point Russo had power, because the second he did, he turned it into WWF-lite, and even the WWF was having its own teething problems with their content at that point.  For every good thing they did, they had ten more shit things to balance it out.

And Chavo Classic was miles ahead of anything you compared it to.  Don't diss Chavo Classic.

Chavo Classic was the bomb diggity.  His only problem was that he was so much better than everyone he worked with.

17 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Don't forget Ultimo Dragon appearing on WCW tv with the 8 titles making up the J Crown, one of which was the old and long forgotten, WWF Light heavyweight title. You know that had to drive Vince insane. 

Combined with Medusa and the Women's title, he was probably in full "angry hard-on" Vince mode. 

The likes of which were reserved for Phil Mushnick and others. 

• Like 1

Man, that WWF Light Heavyweight tournament was just sad with guys like Brian Christopher, Scott Putski, The Fantastics as singles, and a bunch of other guys just thrown out there completely cold.  WCW had guys flying around doing crazy shit while WWF was like here's Taka Michinoku and some short guys.

The term 'light heavyweight' sounded outdated too.  The belt was even sad and cheap looking.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BEN! said:

Man, that WWF Light Heavyweight tournament was just sad with guys like Brian Christopher, Scott Putski, The Fantastics as singles, and a bunch of other guys just thrown out there completely cold.  WCW had guys flying around doing crazy shit while WWF was like here's Taka Michinoku and some short guys.

The term 'light heavyweight' sounded outdated too.  The belt was even sad and cheap looking.

Vince kept calling Tajiri, Tajiri Yoshihiro. I believe he also just kept saying he was a wild man from Japan since he obviously didn't know a fucking thing about Tajiri.

I believe Jerry Lynn was also in that sad ass tournament. 

35 minutes ago, Peck said:

Why did Condrey up and leave the Midnight Express in 87?  More money from Verne?

Nobody really knows. Various theories include a) a cocaine problem, b) marital problems, c) being pissed at Cornette for turning down a jump for the Midnights to the WWF in 1986.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Nobody really knows. Various theories include a) a cocaine problem, b) marital problems, c) being pissed at Cornette for turning down a jump for the Midnights to the WWF in 1986.

Cornette and Eaton have said in interviews that they never really got a straight answer from Condrey about why he up and left.  He just "went weird" on them (Cornette's words).  

I tend to think it was a combination of all of the above, with the catalyst being the situation with his ex-wife.  Cornette thinks Condrey wanted to drop off the radar for awhile so his wife couldn't find him and collect alimony.  How that would work, I dunno.  But there'd been problems with Condrey before that due to Condrey's drug use and the WWF thing.  

I can't imagine the Midnights in 1980's WWF.

I swear there's an Apter mag out there that backs me up, but the Midnights were apparently about to make the jump in 1989 too.  It was during the period where they lost their feud to the SST and then disappeared for a few months only to come back for the tag team tournament.

53 minutes ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

Cornette and Eaton have said in interviews that they never really got a straight answer from Condrey about why he up and left.  He just "went weird" on them (Cornette's words).  

I tend to think it was a combination of all of the above, with the catalyst being the situation with his ex-wife.  Cornette thinks Condrey wanted to drop off the radar for awhile so his wife couldn't find him and collect alimony.  How that would work, I dunno.  But there'd been problems with Condrey before that due to Condrey's drug use and the WWF thing.  

I can't imagine the Midnights in 1980's WWF.

The Midnight Express vs Strike Force would have been pretty amazing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, clintthecrippler said:

Face Midnights vs heel Rougeaus seems like the better version of this to me personally plus then you get dueling Cornette vs Jimmy Hart promos.

You're right. Plus, heel Rougeau's means "All American Boys". You can never have enough of one of the greatest entrance themes ever.

• Like 5

Midnights in WWF wouldn't have really worked either in 1986 or 1989. They'd have had good matches but wouldn't have got the belts. If they'd come in in 1989 they'd have almost certainly ended up jobbing to the Bushwhackers. Maybe in 1990 you could put them in the same spot the Orient Express got, have them go over the Rockers at WM, feud with them for a while, then feud with the Hart Foundation after they win the belts. There was a shortage of heel teams in 1990 until they turned Demolition heel. They would have ended up having to job to the Bushwhackers and Cornette would have thrown a strop and left to start SMW. But then we wouldn't have got Cornette coming in later in the 90s to manage Yokozuna etc.

I think the Midnights would have ended up with the BrainBusters spot if the BrainBusters weren't already there.  And the Busters jobbed to the Bushwhackers too before winning the titles, so it's not like that was some major depush back then.  A Midnight Express/Rockers feud would have been insane fun.  Shit a POP/BrainBusters/MNX/Rougeaus/Andre/Haku vs. Demolition/Rockers/Harts/Bushwhackers/Stallions could have rivaled the other tag Survivor Series matches.

On 10/27/2016 at 4:56 PM, BEN! said:

Tommy Rogers was pretty damn fantastic in '97.