DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

14 hours ago, Jerome Miller said:

Anybody have any background info on this promotion? 

Rusty Brooks has got to be one of the worst lead heels in any promotion, and Jesus, Bob Roop is horrible on color commentary.

IIRC, the Apter magazines (or a lesser publication like Wrestling Eye) made mention of this company trying to raise funds by selling stock to the public at 10 cents a share.

The only other angle I remember from the GWA also came from the Apter mags. The heel announcer in the first clip, Dr. Red Roberts (who, outside the ring, was a licensed therapist), supposedly had a match with Bugsy McGraw and lost, with the stipulation being he had to eat a cockroach for losing. No clue how it come to that, but there you go.

Here is a question that has probably been done to death but I cannot recall the answer:

Was Rock joining the Nation something that was planned or a knee-jerk reaction to Ahmed getting hurt for the umpteenth time? If Ahmed didn't go down, would Rock still have joined as they wouldn't have needed the fourth?

On 10/2/2016 at 7:02 AM, ben. said:

Here is a question that has probably been done to death but I cannot recall the answer:

Was Rock joining the Nation something that was planned or a knee-jerk reaction to Ahmed getting hurt for the umpteenth time? If Ahmed didn't go down, would Rock still have joined as they wouldn't have needed the fourth?

I seem to recall them hinting at Rocky turning heel right before he blew his knee out in '97, and when he came back, he immediately turned and joined the Nation.  At the worst, his heel turn was probably planned, but maybe not the Nation (then again, Rule 1.5)

• Like 1

On 10/2/2016 at 10:02 AM, ben. said:

Ahmed was actually back in the ring before Rocky joined.  He had his return match against Chainz and then the Nation jumped him afterwards.  The Rock joined the next week. 

I don't know if a heel turn was in the works, but Rocky was definitely looking more like The Rock in the weeks before he got hurt.  The bad hair was gone and so was the grinning.

• Like 1

But does Ahmed getting hurt open up the spot for the Rock? I could see them not putting Ahmed back into a "serious" angle because they worry about him getting hurt again.

If Rock doesn't join the Nation and just goes heel by himself, does he reach the level of success without having a group to play off of and eventually lead? I mean, I assume he does but it is interesting to think about the way he rises to the top without being part of the Nation.

It's hard to even picture solo Rock at that point because nearly everyone was in a faction. But I guess a guy who's supremely talented but is such a big asshole that a roster with like twelve different stables doesn't want anything to do with him would work. 

Nah, I think he really needed that cushion of a stable and Ron Simmons guidance to develop and grow at the time rather than having pressure put on him as a solo. In fact, Ron Simmons used to always say 'now know your role, and shut your mouth' to the NOD when giving them pep-talks backstage so it's doubtless that catchphrase would've been born!

• Like 1

On 9/30/2016 at 7:46 PM, colonial said:

IIRC, the Apter magazines (or a lesser publication like Wrestling Eye) made mention of this company trying to raise funds by selling stock to the public at 10 cents a share.

The only other angle I remember from the GWA also came from the Apter mags. The heel announcer in the first clip, Dr. Red Roberts (who, outside the ring, was a licensed therapist), supposedly had a match with Bugsy McGraw and lost, with the stipulation being he had to eat a cockroach for losing. No clue how it come to that, but there you go.

Florida regional promotion, I remember catching this show at odd hours on weird channels.  I believe they also featured "The Freakin' Deacon".

Anyone know the name of the ring announcer here?  He was the ring announcer for both of the Crockett Charlotte Stadium shows in '85 and '87 (Dusty/Tully in a cage  and Dusty/Tully barbed wire ladder match) and was the ring announcer for the Crockett Los Angeles shows that would air on that World Pro Wrestling show in Japan.  

He seemed to be the NWA's "c-show" announcer whenever Tommy Miller and Tony Schiavone weren't available.

Here's one for ya. We get so stuck on what WCW would've been like without Hogan/Bischoff/if the nWo hadn't gone on past it's sell-by-date/if Sting had gone over clean, but what would've happened if they hadn't brought in Russo and the other guy in out of desperation? Who would have taken the reigns and would the shit slide into oblivion have been averted somewhat (ignoring the AOL merger, which made it inevitable there would be no wrestling on Turner anymore)

FWIW - I think the original Russo run was pretty underrated. Had some crap on it, no more than what was happening on the other side, but the 4 big programs (Bret, Benoit, NWO, Sid, Goldberg, Sting, Luger) were all quite well done. The mid card stuff with the Revolution and the Filthy Animals not bad either.

The small window between Road Wild (around the time Bischoff canned) till about Russo taking over at Havoc was pretty good also.

Everything post Starrcade till about Halloween Havoc was probably the worst stint of any major promotion of all time.

Busch in charge with a committee of guys under him (I think Arn, Sullivan, Jimmy Hart and the Misfits guy?) wasn't awful one way or another for 2 months when they had guys to work with. The second stint in charge had no roster to work with and ended up having some form of Sid and the Harris Boys main eventing most nights.