DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

it was always illegal to tape your fist, and a Taped Fist Match was a fued ending gimmick back in the day (latest example I can think of it being used was Windham v Pillman in 91?) so yeah I'd guess Funk in 89. Brody would tape his knuckles but I guess that's different.

7 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Also, Duggan doing taped fists in 1996 and feuding with Big Bubba.

(My bad typing ended up with "taped fish" at first.  That'd be interesting. )

I'm sure there's a dark corner of the internet where taped fish is a real fetish.

• Like 4

Did Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart ruin tag team wrestling?

I was listening to The Revival on the Stone Cold podcast and they brought up a point I'd never picked up on before - all the best tag teams from the 70s and 80s effectively operated as way to mask holes in a wrestler's skillset in order to get featured higher on the card. Whether that was one guy being good on the mic and one guy sucking, one guy being a technical wizz and the other being a strong man etc etc and so they'd stick together for a career usually.

When Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart broke away from tags they became two of the best and most respected single competitors of all time. As such, with almost every tag team that came about afterwards there was always some buzz or discussion about who the breakout star was going to be when the team inevitably split up (Billy Gunn, Booker T, Jeff Hardy etc) as opposed to two so-so wrestlers just being a great unit who together were the complete package.

On 8/25/2013 at 9:33 PM, DreamBroken said:

If you're including multi-man matches, there's the WrestleMania 2000 4 way going 36:24 and the WWE Championship Elimination Chamber from No Way Out 2009 going 36:01.

Strictly singles matches, it's Backlund/Bret from Survivor Series 94 which is listed on HistoryofWWE as 34:44

Isn't that like 10 minutes of chicken wing?