DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

The Starrcade '86 Cornette bump has been mentioned on here recently. With all the talk over the years about how he permanently blew his knees out, etc. my question is he showed back up on TV 2 weeks later and you couldn't even tell there was an injury. No limp. No crutches. Nothing. Was the injury overstated? Corny a miracle healer?

10 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

The cage matches they had against The Sheepherders are eye opening if you've never seen a real Sheepherder match.

The barbed wire matches are even crazier!

I remember the pics in the Apter mags and lamenting that NYC didn't get Mid-South/UWF (at least not until end of 86 I think, God Bless U68!)

James

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Peck said:

The Starrcade '86 Cornette bump has been mentioned on here recently. With all the talk over the years about how he permanently blew his knees out, etc. my question is he showed back up on TV 2 weeks later and you couldn't even tell there was an injury. No limp. No crutches. Nothing. Was the injury overstated? Corny a miracle healer?

I have no evidence to back it up, but I would guess the TV stuff was taped way before the actual match took place.

32 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

I have no evidence to back it up, but I would guess the TV stuff was taped way before the actual match took place.

No, because the 12/6 taping(a week after Starrcade) references the injury(Cornette was off TV that week, Baby Doll subbed for him) but a week after that on the 12/14 tapings(2 1/2 weeks after the bump) he looked perfectly fine.

Cornette said in his first shoot (the eight-hour one with RF Video) that when he went in, they let him know all three ligaments were torn and that he had two choices: undergo reconstructive surgery and be out at least six months, or they can go in and basically trim the nerve endings and have him up and about far faster.  Since he wasn't going to be doing moonsaults or anything like that, he went with the latter option.

Anyone else wonder why they decided to repackage Darsow as the Repo Man?  I guess after how badly Demolition were neutered after the Legion of Doom feud they thought a full repackage was better.  However, as much as I loved the Repo Man character and how well Darsow did with it, it was a comedy character that was never going to be seriously pushed.  Smash as a single could have been an upper mid-card heel that could have easily turned face if needed.  After Bret won the IC Title at Summerslam, a Bret/Smash title feud in the fall of '91 could have been great and really written itself just based on the past history between the Hart Foundation and Demolition.

8 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Cornette said in his first shoot (the eight-hour one with RF Video) that when he went in, they let him know all three ligaments were torn and that he had two choices: undergo reconstructive surgery and be out at least six months, or they can go in and basically trim the nerve endings and have him up and about far faster.  Since he wasn't going to be doing moonsaults or anything like that, he went with the latter option.

One of the crazier Cornette stories was when he got his head shaved in Mid-South. The electric razor was dead so The Fantastics basically dry shaved him with a disposable razor and some shaving cream.

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

One of the crazier Cornette stories was when he got his head shaved in Mid-South. The electric razor was dead so The Fantastics basically dry shaved him with a disposable razor and some shaving cream.

IIRC, he also had thick hair and the sweat had caused it to jam.  The same thing happened to me on my second hair-match loss.  

5 hours ago, Vgmastr said:

Anyone else wonder why they decided to repackage Darsow as the Repo Man?

I've heard that Repo Man was Darsow's idea. His mannerisms were based on Frank Gorshin's portrayal of The Riddler. Darsow had planned for a Repo Man face turn, but that obviously never happened. 

3 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

IIRC, he also had thick hair and the sweat had caused it to jam.  The same thing happened to me on my second hair-match loss.  

Did you ever see the match where Raven lost his hair in TNA? Pretty much the same thing happened to him. James Mitchell and Shane Douglas basically scalped him in the middle of the ring. Not a lot of stuff bothers me in terms of violence, blood, etc but that was kinda hard to watch.

I lost a hair vs. mask match, and the electric clippers broke so scissors had to be used, and my hair was long. More color was to be had because of this. I discovered later a couple of petty luchadors sabotaged the clippers (heat with the promoter). Afterwards we shaved my head in the lockerroom completely and printed up pics to put in the program and on the website to authenticate the stips (pre-twitter/instagram/facebook) and maintain honor with the veteran lucha guys there. This is why it is best to hire a pro barber to put over the gimmick, a la Mid South, Mid Atlantic, Owens, WWA, UWF, et al. The more dedicated officials at ringside, the better, I say.

- who knew there so many hair cuttings gone wrong tales.

RAF

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

Did you ever see the match where Raven lost his hair in TNA? Pretty much the same thing happened to him. James Mitchell and Shane Douglas basically scalped him in the middle of the ring. Not a lot of stuff bothers me in terms of violence, blood, etc but that was kinda hard to watch.

Wasn't this also the match where Shane got kicked square in the balls, and threw up in the ring?

If so, hell of a gross match that was. 

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I've heard that Repo Man was Darsow's idea. His mannerisms were based on Frank Gorshin's portrayal of The Riddler. Darsow had planned for a Repo Man face turn, but that obviously never happened. 

It probably didn't help that he was losing his hair (and really fast, too). His look as Smash wouldn't have nearly been the same if he had shaved his head.

2 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

It's not that hard to watch, you just click the play button on this: