DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

There are a few things that have happened in wrestling over the years that maybe i wasn't paying attention to at the time and need answers to. 

I'll start with this, WrestleMania 9, Hogan is teaming with Brutus vs Money Inc, he shows up with a shiner on his face, then suddenly he's beating Yoko for the title after Bret failed. What even happened here? Who came up with this, how late was the decision made? Was it just Hogan throwing his weight around? 

please and thank you

• Like 1

Copy/pasted from another site....

There are actually three stories given to explain it.The story given by WWF officials was that he was is a jet-ski accident. The story given on WWF television was that Ted Dibiase hired a group to attack Hogan so he would be weakened before their match. The other story given is that he was punched by Randy Savage while they were arguing about Savage's ex-wife Elizabeth. Savage believed Hogan was sleeping with Elizabeth while she was still married to him and confronted Hogan about it backstage. Savage apologized later on but bad blood still remains between the two over Elizabeth. It seems that the legit reason is the jet-ski accident.

• Like 1

And for the second part, I'm pretty sure Hogan beating Yoko was Hogan throwing his weight around. I believe he kind of forced Vince's hand into allowing him to win the title. IIRC, he was threatening to not work the tag match unless he also won the belt. I think those events occurred either right before WrestleMania 9 or at the event itself. I could be wrong on some of the details but big picture, to my knowledge it was definitely Hogan throwing his weight around.

Hogan was also supposed to drop the belt back to Bret at SummerSlam to put Bret over at the star of the new generation. He then backed out of that angle, hence Yoko going over at King of the Ring and Hulk leaving and eventually going to WCW.

Lets be honest, Hogan wasn't tapping to the sharpshooter in '93.

Another question, can't remember the year but Undertaker faced Mankind and Paul Bearer was in a cage. Taker came down from the rafters like a gay-batman all in leather. I remember taker working differently. Was this the first time he'd changed his look and working style? I can't remember anything other than the grey or purple gloves before it.

Of course Hogan would not do what's good for business, especially 20 years ago. Hell, he is still indulging his ego in TNA. Also, Bret Hart's career survived just fine without that. However, the business would have clearly been better for Hulk putting Bret over and passing the torch to the new star of his generation.

• Like 1

Lets be honest, Hogan wasn't tapping to the sharpshooter in '93.Another question, can't remember the year but Undertaker faced Mankind and Paul Bearer was in a cage. Taker came down from the rafters like a gay-batman all in leather. I remember taker working differently. Was this the first time he'd changed his look and working style? I can't remember anything other than the grey or purple gloves before it.

That was at Survivor Series 96.  Taker had started to change his style alot in that Mankind feud.  Becoming alot more aggressive and less methodical.  We saw signs of it at King of the Ring, and kept going from there.

My question is why Vince & co believed Hogan would follow through (and put Bret over) in the first place.They should have known better. Or at least hedged their bets.

Judging by Bret's book, Vince was fucking with both him & Hogan, and the whole thing was Vince's fault. IIRC it went something like:Promo pic of Bret & Hogan doing a tug-of-war with the belt is shot, ostensibly for the cover of an issue of WWF Magazine that will be released around SummerSlam.Bret hears through the grapevine that Hogan says he won't put Bret over for the belt.Bret confronts Hogan, who after a couple tries convinces Bret to go with him to see Vince.Vince: "I never said it'd be a title match."

Lets be honest, Hogan wasn't tapping to the sharpshooter in '93.Another question, can't remember the year but Undertaker faced Mankind and Paul Bearer was in a cage. Taker came down from the rafters like a gay-batman all in leather. I remember taker working differently. Was this the first time he'd changed his look and working style? I can't remember anything other than the grey or purple gloves before it.

Actually, Taker changed his style in the Summer of 93 during the Gonzales/Hughes feud. The idea was that he was going to be more agility while fighting these giants. It's when he debuted the flipping clothesline for one.

My question is why Vince & co believed Hogan would follow through (and put Bret over) in the first place.They should have known better. Or at least hedged their bets.

He did put over Warrior. Maybe Vince & co figured Hogan only wanted one last run and wouldn't have had an issue putting Bret over. It seems silly in hindsight but I can almost understand their rationale, especially since it was something that they really wanted to happen and were probably trying to convince themselves that it'd occur.

That said, I'm not sure Hogan passing the torch would have worked as well as everyone assumes. I know one of the theories why Warrior wasn't successful on top was because people resented him for beating Hogan. The risk was there for people to possibly resent Bret for the same reason. Obviously Hogan wasn't as beloved by the fans in 1993 as he was in 1990 but it was still a possibility.

The biggest question mark for me remains why they changed the booking for Summsrslam that year when it looked like Beefcake was primed ot beat Honky and swapped him out with Warrior. Did Beefcake piss someone off?

James

The biggest question mark for me remains why they changed the booking for Summsrslam that year when it looked like Beefcake was primed ot beat Honky and swapped him out with Warrior. Did Beefcake piss someone off?

James

I think a legit injury based on everything I have read. Beefer was also set to get the IC belt at SummerSlam '90 before the parasailing accident.

RE: Hogan/Bret.

I wouldn't be surprised if Vince was fucking with the two of them just to get bad blood going. I think he totally stirred the pot later with Bret/Shawn. I think he's just a born shit starter.

And if you haven't seen it in a while, go back and watch Yoko beat Hogan for the belt. Besides the flameball, Yoko whipped Hogan's ass in that match. It really felt like he killed Hulkamania dead, and the fact that Hogan didn't come back and fled to WCW made Yoko look like even a bigger badass.

I feel like Bret beating Yoko instead of Hogan set up an even better story than Hogan/Hart would have. Bret was the real hero, the people's champ that stuck with WWF and slayed the evil Yoko dragon.

I don't think Vince ever liked Bret as champion, either. To Vince Bret was just a safety net Vince used while he tried to create the star he really wanted. Somebody with an edge - Shawn, Diesel, Sid, - and eventually he hit the right note with Austin.

• Like 1

Going back a question...

James

According to Wrestleview, which is prolly quoting an old Observer...

Brutus was originally suppose to win the Intercontinental title from Honky Tonk Man at Summerslam. Brutus and Honky Tonk had been feuding for almost a year and everytime they fought Honky Tonk somehow would walk away the winner. At Summerslam Brutus would finally get his long waited victory. However 3 weeks before the event "The Outlaw" Ron Bass viciously attacked Brutus on WWF television. Brutus ended up being out for 4 weeks missing Summerslam. 

The real decision Brutus was written out was a made by WWF officals. Brutus was heavily pushed by the WWF after his face turn in early 1987 and thought Brutus didn't quite live up to the hype. WWF felt Ultimate Warrior was way over more with the fans and decided to have him win the belt instead. 

James

According to Wrestleview, which is prolly quoting an old Observer...

Brutus was originally suppose to win the Intercontinental title from Honky Tonk Man at Summerslam. Brutus and Honky Tonk had been feuding for almost a year and everytime they fought Honky Tonk somehow would walk away the winner. At Summerslam Brutus would finally get his long waited victory. However 3 weeks before the event "The Outlaw" Ron Bass viciously attacked Brutus on WWF television. Brutus ended up being out for 4 weeks missing Summerslam. 

The real decision Brutus was written out was a made by WWF officals. Brutus was heavily pushed by the WWF after his face turn in early 1987 and thought Brutus didn't quite live up to the hype. WWF felt Ultimate Warrior was way over more with the fans and decided to have him win the belt instead.

For whatever it's worth, in his Timeline WWF 1989 shoot (and I think at least one other interview in the mid 00s) Beefcake claimed Warrior was given the title after throwing a tantrum backstage.. and that he was supposed to then win it from Warrior but the office kept making excuses for why it never happened.

Just wondering about Scott Casey's WWF career. Ever since I first saw the 2nd Survivor Series, he's struck me as an odd one, as I know nothing about him. Every other guy on PPVs of that era had some fleeting moment of fame, or at least cropped up on Colloseum Videos. This guy, I know nothing about. Did he have any minor feuds or wins worth noting?

• Like 1

As I recall, he was mostly a job guy, but was placed in the match as a replacement for.....someone.

Casey replaced B. Brian Blair who had quit.  Coincidentally Blair had replaced Junkyard Dog who had been fired.  So Casey was actually the THIRD stringer for that match.