DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

8 minutes ago, J.H. said:

All things considered, Savage got a 1 year title reign out of that vacation Hogan took with plenty of memorable feuds set up on TV. I never missed a Savage MSG title defense whereas I always felt I could skip Hogan's defenses depending on the opponent (i.e. Kamala or some such). Seeing both Bad new s Brown v. Savage matches made me a very happy teenager.

James  

The Savage/Bad News feud gave us great tv like this.

• Like 4

On 6/2/2016 at 0:59 AM, CreativeControl said:

Windham would've defo had a main event run as Widowmaker, or at least been at the Macho Man level of upper midcard. Absolutely sucked he had to leave

Seeing Barry in WWF was the only reason I picked up the Collosium video of SS89 way back when and I'll never forgive them for keeping that team pic on the back knowing full well he wasn't on the show :angry:

He's says something quite honest in that shoot interview when he's asked who is the most overrated wrestler and answers himself - had all the ability but none of the desire

That end quote about himself really says it all. I loved Barmy Windham. Him and Steamboat were my boys.... he had the look and the ability and he was like water in the ring (to borrow a Bruce Lee-ism)... when TA went down he should have been The Guy. But he just didn't have the desire. 

Baron Windhammer was a name I used for a recurring NPC in D&D all the time. One of my friends, although he liked DM'ing, he once let slip that he hated thinking of names, especially if he had to do it quickly. So every time he DM'ed, we would always go to the nearest city and walk around asking NPCs what their names were. We met a lot of men called Amman, who seemed to marry a lot of women called Awoman. And also the legendary Ofuk the Barbarian.

• Like 1

I wrote a reasonably lengthy post that disappeared on me for some reason.  Anyway, a few questions (subject to the caveat that I have not watched WWE consistently since about 2002 so it is difficult for me to recall some things with exact precision):

Firstly, what happened to Shane Helms after his year-long absence from the WWE?  I seem to recall his comeback being fairly heavily promoted, leading to him wrestling for the US title at one point?  Then, within a matter of months, he faded into obscurity and was basically gone soon after. 

Secondly, watching the WWE Network, why are a number of USWA 'Best Of' compilations categorised as GWF shows?  What was the nature of the relationship between the companies?  Did the GWF own the USWA video library?

Lastly - and this is a comment rather than a question - but I'm surprised Gary Young never got a run in WCW or WWF.  It's hard to determine his height from the TV but he has a hybrid Razor/Rick Rude look that I feel might have appealed at that time.

8 hours ago, Buy Me a Burrito said:

That story is the leading cause of vaginal dryness in the UK. 

Well, you'd know. You are the board's expert on that.

• Like 4

After listening to the PWO podcast about the Fabs vs. Moondogs battles, is it reasonable to say the Larry Latham should be ranked high as one of the best brawlers in the biz?  Between his run with the 'Dogs and his Blonde Bomber team with Wayne Farris, I don't think that my statement is that contentious.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Poison said:

Firstly, what happened to Shane Helms after his year-long absence from the WWE?  I seem to recall his comeback being fairly heavily promoted, leading to him wrestling for the US title at one point?  Then, within a matter of months, he faded into obscurity and was basically gone soon after.

That's pretty much just what happened. He went out in May 2007 after his awesome crusierweight champ run and returned in December 2008 as a face. Had a brief TV feud on Smackdown with US Champ Shelton Benjamin, beat him in two non title matches then lost the title match. Got drafted to ECW in April 2009 where he brought back the Hurricane gimmick in a long feud with Paul Burchill that lasted most of the year with some good matches. Then was released in February 2010. Started working indys but had a terrible motorcycle accident in May 2011. Resumed working in 2012 - now in addition to being an agent/manager for TNA.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Poison said:

Secondly, watching the WWE Network, why are a number of USWA 'Best Of' compilations categorised as GWF shows?  What was the nature of the relationship between the companies?  Did the GWF own the USWA video library?

The Savoldis owned the USWA Texas and GWF syndicated TV footage.  When WWE bought their USWA footage they also picked up their GWF footage.  I guess WWE just categorizes it all together because they kind of bled into each other because Sportatorium.

• Like 2

Hell Hogan was only gone from Mania 3 until a month before Summerslam. After Summerslanm wasn't he back on the schedule as a feature guy until the Survivor Series build-up?

James

Hogan was rotating between DiBiase, Haku, and Bad News Brown (the infamous "War Bonnet" matches where Hogan wore a motorcycle helmet that had a fist on it) before moving to the Bossman feud in October.  And the Bossman feud did shockingly great business.

On 6/8/2016 at 3:18 AM, Poison said:

I wrote a reasonably lengthy post that disappeared on me for some reason.  Anyway, a few questions (subject to the caveat that I have not watched WWE consistently since about 2002 so it is difficult for me to recall some things with exact precision):

Lastly - and this is a comment rather than a question - but I'm surprised Gary Young never got a run in WCW or WWF.  It's hard to determine his height from the TV but he has a hybrid Razor/Rick Rude look that I feel might have appealed at that time.

He hurt his neck bad, and when he came back, he wasn't good in ring at all, plus perhaps some out-of-ring issues, led to him going into ECW (but a fun feud with Burchill) and then obscurity.

I still think if WCW had stayed around, he would have been a main eventer there in 2-3 years.

Gary Young in WCW/WWF would've led to him doing another go at being a hot young rookie because that always seemed to be his schtick when debuted in every territory he ended up in during the 80s.

On a separate note... after how they hung till the end of the first Survivor Series that one year, did it just seem that The Young stallions just needed one big win to get over and pushed?

James

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alstein said:

He hurt his neck bad, and when he came back, he wasn't good in ring at all, plus perhaps some out-of-ring issues, led to him going into ECW (but a fun feud with Burchill) and then obscurity.

I still think if WCW had stayed around, he would have been a main eventer there in 2-3 years.

I totally mushed everything together and thought you were talking about Gary Young here, and was REALLY confused.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I totally mushed everything together and thought you were talking about Gary Young here, and was REALLY confused.

Yeah, it took me a minute to figure out he was talking about Hurricane, not Young.

I liked the Hurricane gimmick the first time around, not so much when they revived it for ECW.  Didn't help that Helms had a rotten look for the Hurricane in 2009: greasy hair, skraggly beard, and a superhero costume that looked a size or too too small on him.  He looked like he was auditioning for a heel turn and the hobo army angle,

2 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

If it helps, when he wrote Gary Young I read Gary Hart and was possibly even more confused than you.

14 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

Hogan was rotating between DiBiase, Haku, and Bad News Brown (the infamous "War Bonnet" matches where Hogan wore a motorcycle helmet that had a fist on it) before moving to the Bossman feud in October.  And the Bossman feud did shockingly great business.

I always thought it was an amateur-wrestling helmet, but you're right. Huh.

• Like 1