DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

So I'm watching old episodes of Memphis wrestling and I came across this(start at 38:20):

Doesn't this put the story about Lawler first meeting Harris backstage and sending him home so he could create the Kamala gimmick because no one had ever seen him before, at odds?

Meh.  Either he misremembered, or he's lying.  He's a 60-plus-year-old pro wrestler.  What do you expect?

• Like 1

I knew that SB Harris worked Mempho, B.K. (Before Kimala), no surprise there HOWEVER the revelation for myself is PEllering's awesome raven-hued hairstyle'n'chops combo. I have only seen him as a blonde (thus the Precious) and those sideburns are Don Leo Jonathan-worthy.

I too love to learn,

RAF

• 3 weeks later...

Going through some old tapes, watching some WWF '87. In one of the early Wrestlemania 3 updates, Gene Okerlund references a possible "special guest" for both the Can Am Connection match and the main event. It probably died in the talking points stage, but did anyone every find out who they were?

I believe the surprise in the tag match was going to be Albano in the Can-Am's corner.

I've always remembered Pettingill showing the brief clip of the Gangrel-Luna wedding.  I knew "Vampire Warrior" from the Apter mags.  It was real short and IIRC showed them emerging from whatever building that they were married in...

-J//

I've always remembered Pettingill showing the brief clip of the Gangrel-Luna wedding.  I knew "Vampire Warrior" from the Apter mags.  It was real short and IIRC showed them emerging from whatever building that they were married in...

-J//

thanks for that, i'm still searching for video of it tho, if anyone can help. It's the 11/5/94 WWF Mania episode.

as for questions, watching late '96 WCW. on a couple of the "B" shows is a wrestler named "The Cheetah Kid". who is under the mask? It's obviously not Rocco Rock, regardless of what Google keeps trying to tell me. I was under the impression that it was Prince Iaukea, but an upcoming match from January '97 has Iaukea vs Cheetah Kid, so now i have no idea.

Did Adrian Adonis' wife ever valet for him in AWA or anything? I watched a news clip on his death the other day and I thought Bea Franke was keeping it kayfabe until I looked it up their name.

So I'm watching old episodes of Memphis wrestling and I came across this(start at 38:20):

Doesn't this put the story about Lawler first meeting Harris backstage and sending him home so he could create the Kamala gimmick because no one had ever seen him before, at odds?

Meh.  Either he misremembered, or he's lying.  He's a 60-plus-year-old pro wrestler.  What do you expect?

More of a case that nobody probably remembers Kamala in the above video / remembering WHO it was. It would be like in my day to day life meetign somebody for the first time, then being told we had actually met several years earlier. This happens. 

-J//

thanks for that, i'm still searching for video of it tho, if anyone can help. It's the 11/5/94 WWF Mania episode.

as for questions, watching late '96 WCW. on a couple of the "B" shows is a wrestler named "The Cheetah Kid". who is under the mask? It's obviously not Rocco Rock, regardless of what Google keeps trying to tell me. I was under the impression that it was Prince Iaukea, but an upcoming match from January '97 has Iaukea vs Cheetah Kid, so now i have no idea.

According to CAGEMATCH, it was this guy: http://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=7202&gimmick=Cheetah+Kid+

He seems to have been a non-famous doppelganger of slitghly more famous non-famous wrestlers' unknown gimmicks, because he wrestled as:

Cheetah Kid (Rocco Rock), 

Prince Iaukea (Prince Iaukea) and

Abbuda Dein (Balls Mahoney)

I've been watching a comp of all the Sting vs Flair matches in WCW.  Best match was the one from WCW Saturday Night in 93 i thought anyways. I noticed that over time, WCW refs changed from wearing a blue shirt with bowtie to the white shirt with black stripes. When did that happen and why? Must have been between 1996 and 1999.

• 2 weeks later...

No Way Out '98, Shawn is injured and can't make the 8-man tag. But his replacement is Savio Vega? What a disappointment. Was there another idea that didn't come through or did they just pull Savio out of a hat?

There weren't many guys that they could just slot in.  Most of the obvious candidates wouldn't have worked for one reason or another and no one had the star power to not make the mystery partner a disappointment.  Savio made some sense from a storyline perspective as Los Boricuas had previously had dealings with DX.

Kane was supposedly considered, but they decided they needed to protect him.  Don Callis (Cyrus/Jackyl) has said Kurrgan was the original plan, but he (Callis) talked Vince out of it.  At that point, Kurrgan was planned to be pushed as a monster later down the line and Callis argued that Kurrgan would badly exposed in the match,

Jim Cornette has said that he (and Lawler, irrc) suggested using Vega under a ninja mask as a mysterious hired assassin,.  Supposedly, Vince crapped on this idea because Al Snow had recently flopped badly in the Shinobi gimmick.

Jim Cornette has said that he (and Lawler, irrc) suggested using Vega under a ninja mask as a mysterious hired assassin,.  Supposedly, Vince crapped on this idea because Al Snow had recently flopped badly in the Shinobi gimmick.

Wow.  So Cornette's idea was for the mystery man to be the return of Kwang?

No Way Out '98, Shawn is injured and can't make the 8-man tag. But his replacement is Savio Vega? What a disappointment. Was there another idea that didn't come through or did they just pull Savio out of a hat?

There weren't many guys that they could just slot in.  Most of the obvious candidates wouldn't have worked for one reason or another and no one had the star power to not make the mystery partner a disappointment.  Savio made some sense from a storyline perspective as Los Boricuas had previously had dealings with DX.

Kane was supposedly considered, but they decided they needed to protect him.  Don Callis (Cyrus/Jackyl) has said Kurrgan was the original plan, but he (Callis) talked Vince out of it.  At that point, Kurrgan was planned to be pushed as a monster later down the line and Callis argued that Kurrgan would badly exposed in the match,

Were there any rumors of Yokozuna coming back to do it? He's the only big name free-agent I can remember not doing anything at that point. He probably couldn't have gotten cleared to do it but would've been a cool one shot for him.

Were there any rumors of Yokozuna coming back to do it? He's the only big name free-agent I can remember not doing anything at that point. He probably couldn't have gotten cleared to do it but would've been a cool one shot for him.

Al Isaacs on Scoopswrestling probably predicted it.

• Like 7