DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

Sometimes places weren't part of the NWA but weren't considered outlaws because they wouldn't try and run against NWA shows.  Kamala talks about it in his book, which I'm reading now.  He was part of one called the IWC, which was affiliated with the AWA, but also never ran against NWA shows, so they were okay.

But the weird thing is IWA even tried to sue NWA over their business practices.  I guess if you're a big enough star that shit doesn't matter, and Ernie and Mil were

Are you thinking of early 90s Windy City when Heyman was booking? That was definitely on Sports Channel. 2001 or 2002 Windy City aired on WJYS and was largely terrible. I remember RVD worked a show after ECW closed.

Both, I guess, but mostly the 90s stuff.

• Like 1

Was there a reason Bob Holly and the Kid won the tag title tournament after replacing the Smoking Gunns in 95 only to lose the titles the next night...to the Smoking Gunns?

Bob Holly mentioned it in his book. And no, there was no given reason. When he asked why they were dropping the belts they had no real answer. I would guess the Gunns were originally scheduled to win the tourney and Billy's injury made them unable to compete, so the Gunns winning the next night just returned to the status quo.

Just a theory but maybe losing to Smoking Gunns in a regular tag title match at Royal Rumble wasn't considered a big enough reason for Bigelow to feel "embarrassed" and snap after be mocked by LT afterward, whereas losing the finals of a tournament to a wimpy underdog team was. Just a thought.

• Like 1

Trained workers: how does one perform a bridging German suplex on a 200+lb man without his weight smashing your own head into the canvas with lethal force?

The answer to that is probably just "with great difficulty", but

The guy getting suplexed jumps backward into the motion of the suplex. 

And tucks their chin, of course.

Were there penalties in the 70s for wrestlers who worked renegade territories?  Were such wrestlers still able to get NWA bookings without difficulty?

There's a video I saw on You Tube recently, not sure if it was through here or elsewhere that saw Koko Ware v. a masked jobber in Memphis.  The jobber was allegedly working an outlaw territories too and Koko beat the shit out of him.

Back in the old days, anyone working the non-NWA outlaw promotions essentially were blackballed from the NWA territories.  All the guys working the Poffos' ICW, including Ronnie Garvin, basically lost out - they only ended up working other outlaw promotions for a long time.

Is that why Savage ended up in the WWF? Because I can't see Vince Jr. giving a shit about that stuff. . . .

Well Savage was working Memphis before WWF. He had his feud with Lawler and that probably could've gone a little longer but when Vince comes calling back then, saying "Nah, I wanna headline the Mid-Sputh Coliseum for the next year" would be shooting yourself in the foot

James 

• Like 1

Right - the Poffos made up with Lawler and co. when ICW went under, and Savage and Lawler did some hot main events in Memphis.  Savage ended up going to the WWF and turned babyface on the way out, teaming a couple of times with Lawler and putting over a really green Rick Rude.  (A lot of this stuff is on the Wrestling Gold DVD sets, BTW, and I cannot recommend them strongly enough!)

I recommend you read up on the NWA split with Ann Gunkel, and her All South renegade promotion, circa 1972-74. There are several versions of the story depending on who is telling it (and the survivors are dwindling). Jody Hamilton goes into it in his autobiography, many interviewees talk of it in the great Whatever Happened To...? magazine and it gets covered in the National Wrestling Alliance book. The main thrust is thatthe workers who sided with Ann Gunkel at first were given amnesty but anyone who joined later was threatened with a blackballing. Thus, the lack of new talent sped up the demise of All South.

The Great Mephisto and Gene LeBell talk about renegade promotions a lot. My understanding is that if you could draw money, all would be forgiven. All of Eddie Einhorn's IWA main eventers soon found work but the lower card guys suffered, for example.

- RAF

Right - the Poffos made up with Lawler and co. when ICW went under, and Savage and Lawler did some hot main events in Memphis.  Savage ended up going to the WWF and turned babyface on the way out, teaming a couple of times with Lawler and putting over a really green Rick Rude.  (A lot of this stuff is on the Wrestling Gold DVD sets, BTW, and I cannot recommend them strongly enough!)

Actually, Savage quickly turned heel again and had another series of matches with Lawler before he left Memphis for WWF.