DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

At the World Class Star Wars show on Christmas '84 the following match happened:

Terry Gordy, Buddy Roberts & Chick Donovan vs. Skandor Akbar, Missing Link & Mr. X

Two questions: Why was longtime GCW jobber Donovan teaming with the Freebirds, and who was Mr. X?

Donovan landed in WCCW in 1984 and got a minor push.  He was feuding with Akbar and Devastation Inc. during late '84, so Gordy asked him and Roberts to tag with him to try to run Devastation, Inc. out of WCCW.  The match was a loser leaves elimination match - anyone who got pinned or submitted had to leave World Class.  Which was the other reason Donovan was in the match - he was leaving the territory (this was the swan song for Devastation, Inc.  They lost the match and disbanded.  Of the six men in the match, only Gordy stayed with the promotion).

Mr. X was never definitively identified, but it doesn't matter.  Killer Khan no-showed the event, so WCCW had to throw someone into the match at the last minute.  They created a masked gimmick and ran him out there just so Dev Inc. had a third man.  It was probably Mike "The Alaskan" York, who worked in California during the late 70's/very early 80's and worked for Fritz when WCCW was still using the Big Time Wrestling name.

I was watching the Undertaker: The streak dvd on Netflix earlier and watched the Flair/Undertaker match from Wresltmania 18. The spot where Arn Anderson gives Taker the spinebuster is still one of my favorites. Anyways, what was the storyline about that match? I remember Taker beating up David Flair at some gym. Was Taker basically Vince Mcmahon's henchman at the time?

I was watching the Undertaker: The streak dvd on Netflix earlier and watched the Flair/Undertaker match from Wresltmania 18. The spot where Arn Anderson gives Taker the spinebuster is still one of my favorites. Anyways, what was the storyline about that match? I remember Taker beating up David Flair at some gym. Was Taker basically Vince Mcmahon's henchman at the time?

Yeah I think Taker was still somewhat aligned with Vince at the time. Taker was feuding with Rock for No Way Out and in the build up, chokeslammed/tombstoned Rock on his limo on SD. Flair got in his face about it on Raw and said he lost all respect for Taker after that. Taker laid out Flair on the next SD before No Way Out. Then Flair ended up costing Taker in his match with Rock, stopping him from using his lead pipe and eventually hitting Taker with it leading to the Rock Bottom. Then the next night, Taker challenged Flair for Mania but Flair said no so Taker beat up Arn and David and threatened to go after Flair's other kids until Flair accepted the challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

At the World Class Star Wars show on Christmas '84 the following match happened:

Terry Gordy, Buddy Roberts & Chick Donovan vs. Skandor Akbar, Missing Link & Mr. X

Two questions: Why was longtime GCW jobber Donovan teaming with the Freebirds, and who was Mr. X?

Donovan landed in WCCW in 1984 and got a minor push.  He was feuding with Akbar and Devastation Inc. during late '84, so Gordy asked him and Roberts to tag with him to try to run Devastation, Inc. out of WCCW.  The match was a loser leaves elimination match - anyone who got pinned or submitted had to leave World Class.  Which was the other reason Donovan was in the match - he was leaving the territory (this was the swan song for Devastation, Inc.  They lost the match and disbanded.  Of the six men in the match, only Gordy stayed with the promotion).

Mr. X was never definitively identified, but it doesn't matter.  Killer Khan no-showed the event, so WCCW had to throw someone into the match at the last minute.  They created a masked gimmick and ran him out there just so Dev Inc. had a third man.  It was probably Mike "The Alaskan" York, who worked in California during the late 70's/very early 80's and worked for Fritz when WCCW was still using the Big Time Wrestling name.

I've watched this recently (the Christmas 84 Star Wars from Reunion)...I am certain it was Nick Roberts (father of Baby Doll who was managing Gino at the time) who played Mr. X under the mask. Nick Roberts also appeared later in the card as a "NWA Representative" who demanded a rematch ASAP after the Flair/Kerry screwjob. Same build, mustache, etc...and never to be seen in World Class again, as far as I know.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what I saw that reminded me of this question, but here goes:

During a televised WWF at The Philadelphia Spectrum, two wrestlers dressed in Killer Bee masks and T-shirts appeared as lumberjacks during a  lumberjack match  between Hulk Hogan and Ted DiBiase, frequently attacking Hogan until Hogan got the upper hand and unmasked one of the Bees ... only to reveal another mask beneath and the unidentified wrestler to escape.

Did anyone ever say who it was under the masks? I know they didn't really mention it after, but wondering if anyone gave it away on a shoot or something.

Yeah I think Taker was still somewhat aligned with Vince at the time. Taker was feuding with Rock for No Way Out and in the build up, chokeslammed/tombstoned Rock on his limo on SD. Flair got in his face about it on Raw and said he lost all respect for Taker after that. Taker laid out Flair on the next SD before No Way Out. Then Flair ended up costing Taker in his match with Rock, stopping him from using his lead pipe and eventually hitting Taker with it leading to the Rock Bottom. Then the next night, Taker challenged Flair for Mania but Flair said no so Taker beat up Arn and David and threatened to go after Flair's other kids until Flair accepted the challenge.

That shower beatdown of David had to be some kind of rib on Bradshaw. Grizzled vet doing uncomfortable things to a young guy in the shower, blood everywhere. Sheesh.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the UWF Fury Hour days Herb Abrams used to tease Ultimate Warrior as coming soon or negotiating or something along those lines.  Was Warrior in the UWF even a remote possibility or was this all just Herb being Herb?

Probably the latter, though Herb could very well have believed that it was a possibility.  Who knows what went on in that guy's head?

Cocaine mainly. 

To be fair, Herb brought in some big names like Andre the Giant. Warrior was doing dodgy wrestling shows in Vegas with Honky Tonk Man and dodgier B movies at the time. Not impossible to believe he could have made an appearance. 

What was the reasoning for bringing Rob Bartlett in for Raw commentary? I know Vince loves mainstream coverage but Bartlett was just one of the guys who was on Imus. It's not like it was actually Don Imus. How much could Vince have really thought he'd gain by bringing in Bartlett? Not to mention the guy was horrific and seemed to basically just be a commentary troll.

Back in the UWF Fury Hour days Herb Abrams used to tease Ultimate Warrior as coming soon or negotiating or something along those lines.  Was Warrior in the UWF even a remote possibility or was this all just Herb being Herb?

Probably the latter, though Herb could very well have believed that it was a possibility.  Who knows what went on in that guy's head?

Cocaine mainly. 

To be fair, Herb brought in some big names like Andre the Giant. Warrior was doing dodgy wrestling shows in Vegas with Honky Tonk Man and dodgier B movies at the time. Not impossible to believe he could have made an appearance. 

Herb thought he was going to bring in Bruiser Brody until he found out that he had been dead five years by that point.

• Like 1

So I'm watching old episodes of Memphis wrestling and I came across this(start at 38:20):

Doesn't this put the story about Lawler first meeting Harris backstage and sending him home so he could create the Kamala gimmick because no one had ever seen him before, at odds?