DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

The only time I recall him being called Paul Levesque on a show was the Punk bit.

Vince called him Paul when the stage collapsed.

That was so weird. What the hell was the end game supposed to be with the stage collapse? I remember it was during that million dollar give-away but don't recall anything else.

The stage falling apart was the culmination of little things going wrong here and there for several weeks, with the idea that Vince was so focused on his Million Dollar Giveaway thing that he was cutting corners and not paying attention as much as he should have. It was during this time that the "fan" jumped in front of the camera during a "Batista is WALKING!" backstage shot, and a light rig falling on the rampway, and other things breaking down over weeks. Finally, the rig collapsed on Vince to put an end to the giveaway, which is typical Vince McMahon. He can't just come out and say "The giveaway is over as it didn't quite work as planned". There had to be some huge event to cause it to be over. And, as far as I know, there was no other plan or angle in place after that. It was just a way to write Vince off of TV and to stop doing the giveaway.

I thought it was to launch a "McMahons try to take the company away from Vince" angle and launch Mr. Kennedy as a main-eventer, but that was a different time Vince faked his own death.

My bad.  It's hard to keep McMahon's on-screen deaths straight.

I think so.  Wasn't the idea that Vince would eventually return from the dead with Kennedy's help, Kennedy would eventually be revealed as an illegitmate McMahon heir, and he would wrestle someone (Trips?) with the winner getting control of the company back for the McMahon in their corner? 

Fairly sure that was the rumored program.

• Like 1

I almost wish that the illegitimate child angle had been used to elevate SOMEONE. Even if you just have it be revealed that they faked the whole thing to extort money from the McMahon family. 

Anything is better than the Hornswoggle angle.

The best part about the things going wrong escalating to crush Vince is it all started with things REALLY going wrong when people would call in for the contest. 

"We meant to do that, pal.  Now take your panties off if you're sorry."

The only good thing that came out of the angle was that five seconds where you actually thought they were about to pull the trigger on Sandman. And considering they just resigned themselves to a stupid comedy angle, they might as well have gone all the way with it.

The worst thing was making the entire roster come off as a huge group of bastards (whose moms were all apparently whores) who all had no idea who their real father was.

Sandman should've been the illegitimate son. That would've been tremendous television.

Around that time, I remembered reading that Vince was actually a big fan of Sandman. Sandman was a semi-finalist in the battle royal that Regal won to become GM of RAW. IIRC, he "won" it but Regal had gone through the middle ropes or something like that and came back and eliminated him. Sandman as GM would've been great fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the stupid non-sensical shit that I think about at work that has no rhyme or reason but has been on my mind for the last twenty minutes:

At what point did Kane's hair become fake? Was it all along or did they shave him bald the day he was set to be unmasked? I saw a picture of Biff Busick standing next to the original suit and it said "Standing next to the original Kane suit, mask, and hair" which would lead me to believe that the hair was fake all along and will blow my mind if Kane went nearly a decade without me knowing his hair was fake.

Like I said, non-sensical shit.

Let's not forget that Kane wasn't actually bald for the 5 years after he unmasked either.  He shaved back to the crown of his head, and from there back it was just really short to keep up the kayfabe illusion that he'd burned his face.  I'm not sure when he stopped shaving his eyebrows either.

The best part about the things going wrong escalating to crush Vince is it all started with things REALLY going wrong when people would call in for the contest.

"We meant to do that, pal. Now take your panties off if you're sorry."

Vince got rickrolled.

NEVER FORGET.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

An odd question I hope someone can help me out with.

Around 1984-85, the WWF ran an "Update" segment near the start of their syndicated shows ("Championship Wrestling" and "All-Star Wrestling").  One Saturday, both Updates featured reports on the Von Erich brothers, with the hint that they may be "debuting soon" with the WWF.

There were no interviews with them, just still photos, and Gene Okerlund referred them as being from a "legendary wrestling family".  They weren't mentioned again, and the next time we'd see or hear about a Von Erich on WWF TV was when Kerry debuted as "Texas Tornado".

Unfortunately, that's all I can remember about these segments.  IIRC, they appeared around the time the Freebirds had their short-lived WWF run, and it was definitely before Kerry's motorcycle accident (which, IIRC, was in 1986).

Am I the only one who remembers this?  Was there a plan to bring Kerry and Kevin to the WWF in 1984-85? 

JD