DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

Wasn't there a young woman who only ever appeared on the first MTV episode of Sunday Night Heat because while interviewing Stephanie McMahon she made a joke at Steph's expense?

Does anyone remember who she was or when this even happened?

And does the clip still survive somewhere?

I don't know about the clip, but it was Rebecca Budig and she quipped that Stephanie was " twice her size".

This took place in October 2000.

Awesome. I don't remember this much but always liked Rebecca, would've liked if she stuck around.

The moment in question starts around 13:36

That whole thing looks like it was a disaster from Rebecca's dig to the Playboy question to Stephanie uttering the line, "I don't think I could ever compare to Chyna." 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This has occurred to me looking at older videos and pics ... it seems like in the era of the 60s, every last fucking heel, and even a few babyfaces, were bleaching their hair ... even Harley was doing that for awhile. What was with so many guys doing that back then?

This has occurred to me looking at older videos and pics ... it seems like in the era of the 60s, every last fucking heel, and even a few babyfaces, were bleaching their hair ... even Harley was doing that for awhile. What was with so many guys doing that back then?

Blood looks better in blonde hair

• Like 1

Wasn't Mitch Snow the AWA guy who did some All-Japan shots in the late-'80's and...I want to say he died some time in the past decade...?

Back when I was in high school my church youth group spent a week in Virginia, sleeping in the basements of a couple of churches in the area who were nice enough to host us.  As we pulled up to a church in Virginia Beach we saw the pastor and his youth group pulling away.  Discovered the next day that they were going to Norfolk to see wrestling.  Turns out the pastor was the brother of Mitch Snow and Mitch was on the card.  The brother told me that if we had been a little earlier and he knew I was a fan he would have taken me and that they got to meet a few wrestlers while they were there.  Mitch committed suicide (OWW says 2001 although I had thought it was before that, but not sure). 

So, teenage me was that close to getting backstage at a Crockett show.  :(

So, been watching this glut of French catch stuff that popped up on Youtube earlier this year. Some of these matches are just mind blowing.

What I'm wondering is, why did this stuff get completely lost to time, to the point it seems none of these guys got their due from the wrestling community at large? Gilbert Cesca particularly seems like he should be included in discussions with guys like Gotch, Thesz, Gagne, Funk Sr, etc, but again, it seems like none of their peers ever mentioned any of these guys, or France in general for producing great wrestling. So what the heck happened?

On the "Monday Night Wars" show, Michael Cole mentions possible speculation that RAW could become 1 hour of Nitro and 1 hour of RAW.

Was this idea ever given consideration? I imagine that Vince would've asked for the 8-10 slot with Nitro getting hour one and RAW getting hour two. I imagine that it would've been a terrible idea and most fans would've just skipped hour one. 

On the "Monday Night Wars" show, Michael Cole mentions possible speculation that RAW could become 1 hour of Nitro and 1 hour of RAW.

Was this idea ever given consideration? I imagine that Vince would've asked for the 8-10 slot with Nitro getting hour one and RAW getting hour two. I imagine that it would've been a terrible idea and most fans would've just skipped hour one. 

It couldn't be any worse than 3 hours of Raw nowadays. 

I honestly think a WCW brand would've been viable if Vince could've gotten TNN on board. I would've shipped Triple H to WCW to be the top heel to feud with Booker T. 

I'm surprised that no one ever mentioned just giving WCW the late night TNN slot that was occupied by Excess or Access or whatever the hell they were calling that Coach/Trish hosted show. Sure, 10 PM - 12 AM isn't ideal but it's better than nothing. 

Wasn't Excess a byproduct of the WWE initially wanting to put WCW into that Saturday night slot but TNN not wanting a WCW-branded wrestling program?

Yes, the two-hour timeslot occupied by Excess and Confidential was initially envisioned as a two-hour WCW show.  TNN wouldn't agree to that,

TNN probably did spare us a Test WHC run, fwiw.  Meltzer has said a few times over the years that the plan was for Test to go to WCW and get a monster push and lengthy title run.  Supposedly, Shane was lobbying heavily for Test to become the face of the company.

The ship sailed on Test after they failed to capitalize on his popularity during the whole Steph thing. They should've put the championship on him at Survivor Series and built to a marriage vs. championship at Armageddon where HHH walked out with the belt and girl. It would've been better than Show defending in the midcard against Bossman and would've at least allowed Test to get some heat back after having HHH crash his wedding. They kind of just let his stock crash after the Steph angle. 

Test wasn't a top guy by any means, but they could've at least had him hold the belt for a month in order to build a bigger match at Armageddon with Triple H. I've heard rumors that Show got that reign because of some promise when he jumped, but that had to be the most useless title change of the Attitude Era. Show didn't really move up the card because of it and Triple H got it right back anyway. At least with Test, it would've elevated him because of the built in angle. 

I used to have a tape of a group called the EWF out of France from the early 90's; they used the same talent that worked the rest of Europe at the time: Regal, Benoit, Dave Taylor, etc.  (Also the Mexican Rambo, which was odd.)

• 3 weeks later...

Had a thought earlier about Wrestlemania 7, if they had gone through with the Hogan/Warrior rematch, who would Savage have faced? Was there talk of putting him with anyone else, I couldn't find anything online.

From memory, there's pretty limited options. I wasn't into behind the scenes stuff back then, but ... 

He goes over on Von Erich or Bulldog? 

I can't even think of anything they'd even have time to build at that point, because you'd have to go far back and change the outcome/story of the title match at the Royal Rumble to change the card/build for 'Mania. Warrior goes over Slaughter and they do the Warrior vs. Hogan rematch at Wrestlemania, perhaps there's some issue (botched interference from Savage?) where it ends up being Slaughter vs. Savage with Savage teasing a turn before the match and then turning at the event like they ended up doing. Or they do something similar with Taker and Savage to elevate Taker quicker?

Savage/Slaughter probably would have been the match, but it's a moot point because Hogan/Slaughter was always the plan post-SummerSlam due to how well Hogan/Earthquake drew and how badly Warrior vs. anyone else did (and how disappointing the WM6 buyrate was.)  Unless Warrior was turning, they were never going to do Hogan/Warrior II.

I seem to recall there before very loose talks of doing Hogan-Warrior II at Mania IX(one of many loose rumors).  I think that would have been a cool swansong for the two of them, and an "end of an era" type feel.