DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

So, with the HOF now residing in Larry Land now, I was wondering if there is any high-end Larry Z stuff? I mean, I get the Bruno feud and I liked his matches with Regal and his team with Double A was top stuff, but, that 's like 3 years out of 30 or so...what else is out there? 

So, with the HOF now residing in Larry Land now, I was wondering if there is any high-end Larry Z stuff? I mean, I get the Bruno feud and I liked his matches with Regal and his team with Double A was top stuff, but, that 's like 3 years out of 30 or so...what else is out there?

Lots of stalling in the AWA.

• Like 3

There were a TON of good/great matches featuring Larry Z during the Dangerous Alliance era. Singles/tags/6Mans/8mans. Plus entertaining AWA stuff...from the high end Bock stuff, to Larry accepting the Team Challenge Series prize (Won by The Milkman lol)

• Like 1

NO WAY was Landell ever considered an NWA World Champ, even transitionally. He was one of these dudes that was high so much of the time, he was never seen as anything more than a regional draw. He had no pull on the board and the NWA knew damn well Flair would never put him over, even if it was so he could "take a break."

At that time, all that would have had to happen is Buddy miss one date, and a territory dies in his wake. No promoter worth their ass was taking that chance, particularly not at a time when WWF was red-hot and gaining foothills by the day.

And yes, someone is going to say "Well, what about Kerry?" Kerry Von Erich was a last minute sub for his brother who just died on a day where they drew 40,000 who also just happened to be the son of one the NWA board members. For that, you get the belt for two weeks no matter how coked up you are.

• Like 1

Zbyszko was AWA World Champion and married Verne's daughter. 

I imagine that this came up in his phone call with Triple H. 

It's all about the game of human chess, and how you play it

It's all about control of the queen, if you can take it

• Like 10

What happened to Lisa Sliwa?

They built her up huge on TNT and went nowhere.

Supposedly, she lost interest in the business very fast, and changed her mind about it.

She's worked in radio and tv journalism for quite a while now.  Think she's still on the air in the NY market, isn't she?  She also hosts a radio show on weekends.

Supposedly, she lost interest in the business very fast, and changed her mind about it.

She's worked in radio and tv journalism for quite a while now.  Think she's still on the air in the NY market, isn't she?  She also hosts a radio show on weekends.

She's now known as Lisa Evers, and she's been at WNYW at New York for years.  Also hosts a Sunday public affairs show for HOT 97 in NYC.

Evers appears to have wrestled at least one match in the WWF -- in 1986 against Velvet McIntyre at a TV taping in Poughkeepsie. 

JD

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't there a young woman who only ever appeared on the first MTV episode of Sunday Night Heat because while interviewing Stephanie McMahon she made a joke at Steph's expense?

Does anyone remember who she was or when this even happened?

And does the clip still survive somewhere?

She's worked in radio and tv journalism for quite a while now. Think she's still on the air in the NY market, isn't she? She also hosts a radio show on weekends.

She's now known as Lisa Evers, and she's been at WNYW at New York for years. Also hosts a Sunday public affairs show for HOT 97 in NYC.

Evers appears to have wrestled at least one match in the WWF -- in 1986 against Velvet McIntyre at a TV taping in Poughkeepsie.

JD

Was she still with Curtis when Bubba became the Guardian Angel in WCW? i thouhht he/they appeared at least once to christen the gimmick.

Wasn't there a young woman who only ever appeared on the first MTV episode of Sunday Night Heat because while interviewing Stephanie McMahon she made a joke at Steph's expense?

I don't know about the clip, but it was Rebecca Budig and she quipped that Stephanie was " twice her size".

This took place in October 2000.

• Like 1

I don't know about the clip, but it was Rebecca Budig and she quipped that Stephanie was " twice her size".

This took place in October 2000.

Awesome. I don't remember this much but always liked Rebecca, would've liked if she stuck around.

The moment in question starts around 13:36

Was she still with Curtis when Bubba became the Guardian Angel in WCW? i thouhht he/they appeared at least once to christen the gimmick.

Don't know if Lisa Silwa appeared on WCW TV, but, yeah. Curtis appeared once.  There was an angle where the Guardian Angels held a swearing-in ceremony for Bossman to celebrate his "graduation".  Curtis had a speaking part, and the room was filled with other members.  IIRC, everyone present was an actual member of the Angels except Big Bubba.   The Silwas were still married at that point, so Lisa may well have been in the bit.

I AM SO SORRY: I have namedropped this event several times on this board but I crave relevance. Lisa Sliwa debuted at a (Heyman promoted) Studio 54 wrestling event, the same one as Bam Bam Bigelow's coming out. BBB looked great (it may have even been a handicap match) but Lisa Sliwa was, in ring parlance, the drizzling sh*ts. It was apparent she did not want to be there, but pro wrestling could fit in with the grandstanding publicity-grabbing motif of her husband. I assume that since Larry Sharpe trained Bigelow that he "trained" Sliwa.

good ol' NYC,

RAF