DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

Paul E said something once, or I read it, that Vince likes him because he worked as a photographer at WWWF shows for Vince Sr, so maybe that connection is why Vince Jr has worked with Heyman over the years. 

Also does anyone know when the WWF was first broadcast in the UK?. I think they replaced World Of Sport with a WWF show for a while and I heard that a channel aired one of the early WrestleMania's pre B-Sky-B (so before 88/89) but I don't think that would be true as Satellite only really became available in the UK in 1989.   

Heyman said on the DVD it was mostly Vince comping him the sponsorship money he was missing out on after Vince signed 2 Cold to a deal. But that is Paul Heyman.

JR also said that the money that Vince was funneling to ECW came out of the budget that he (JR) oversaw.

Paul E said something once, or I read it, that Vince likes him because he worked as a photographer at WWWF shows for Vince Sr, so maybe that connection is why Vince Jr has worked with Heyman over the years. 

Also does anyone know when the WWF was first broadcast in the UK?. I think they replaced World Of Sport with a WWF show for a while and I heard that a channel aired one of the early WrestleMania's pre B-Sky-B (so before 88/89) but I don't think that would be true as Satellite only really became available in the UK in 1989.   

I couldn't give you an exact date when they started but I'm pretty sure they showed Wrestlemania III on satellite.

I couldn't give you an exact date when they started but I'm pretty sure they showed Wrestlemania III on satellite

OK, thanks. Would be interesting to know if it was aired live or on tape delay and if Survivor Series 87 and other PPVs aired afterwards. BSB started in 1986, so its likely it aired on one of the original four channels. Sky started in 1989 and I think they showed a live UK event in the same year, so there must have been a WWF fanbase built up for them to do a UK show. Unless it was a way for the WWF to market towards a new audience. 

Granted I haven't gone back and watched any of 1997 era WWF, but 16 year old me remembers being really confused as to how The Patriot, who I remembered as being nothing but a WCW lower midcarder in a JTTS team with Bagwell, ended up getting a Lex Luger 2.0 push.  Did he get any higher up on the card in WCW before leaving?  He was never terrible, just kind of average and generic.  I realize the main heel stable in the WWF were doing the foreign anti-America gimmick, but it still seemed a little far fetched to bring out someone as mediocre as Patriot to put in the top of the card like that.

The uncle slam was a shitty move

I wasn't watching WWF during this period. Was the Patriot directly based on that silly cartoon that Lawler drew for Wrestling Monthly in the 1970s? Lawler's Patriot also used a finisher called the "Uncle Slam," but it was just a regular body slam, albeit one fueled by patriotic rage.

The uncle slam was a shitty move

I wasn't watching WWF during this period. Was the Patriot directly based on that silly cartoon that Lawler drew for Wrestling Monthly in the 1970s? Lawler's Patriot also used a finisher called the "Uncle Slam," but it was just a regular body slam, albeit one fueled by patriotic rage.

The Patriot's Uncle Slam was a full nelson where he would lift the opponent and then drop him back first.

i was WCW-exclusive at this point in 1997 so had no idea who the Patriot was. but i randomly switched to Raw one night and was impressed by the Patriot.

looking back now, he's pretty mediocre in the ring but he was getting pretty big reactions. so i vote "yes" to the Patriot.

Did Hogan ever score a pinfall finish over Roddy Piper? And if not... why not? What's the story there?

I cannot fathom Hogan not wanting to go over Piper clean at some point, after Piper beat him multiple times. Especially in WCW when he had creative control. I mean he brought Warrior in to get his win back, why not Piper...

What was the deal with WCW rehiring Giant Gonzalez in '95?  I seem to remember he was supposed to be in the WW3 battle royal but there was some kind of visa problem or some such thing.

Visa issues/WW3 was Loch Ness.

From reading thru Herb Kunze back in the day, there was supposedly interest in him, but retired that year due to poor health instead.