DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

It was specifically because of a match at Clash 5 in February 1989 where the Road Warriors and Tenyru were scheduled to defend the 6 man titles against Sting, JYD and Michael Hayes, but the Varsity club locked the challengers in their lockeroom and took their place in the match. Baba thought he had no way to defend something like that to his fans so he pulled out of the NWA and any affiliation with WCW, which led to AJPW's near decade of isolationism, and also to the WCW/NJPW deal which lasted until WCW folded.

• Like 1

Memphis lacked the political clout to get the NWA Champ in the territory all that much anyway, so Crockett basically taking possession of the NWA Title was probably worrisome, but not a deal breaker.   I don't remember if there was a trigger, but their defection from the NWA had a lot to do with the WWF going national.  The original plan was supposedly for the AWA and CWA to merge (along with WCCW, when they defected from the NWA).  Obviously, that never quite happened.

Memphis didn't get the NWA Champ in the territory all that much anyway.  I don't remember if there was a trigger, but their defection from the NWA had a lot to do with the WWF going national.  The original plan was supposedly for the AWA and CWA to merge (along with WCCW, when they defected from the NWA).  Obviously, that never quite happened.

Ah, the Pro Wrestling USA failed experiment! Looks to me like Verne Gagne, Jerry Jarrett and Fritz Von Erich couldn't agree on shit.

The idea of a Rick Rude/Kawada singles match is just weird to me.  I'm picturing super mullet-era Rude grinding his pelvis in Kawada's face, and Kawada responding by punting Rude into the first row.

Rude: What I'd like to have right now....is for all you fat....rice-eating......slant-eyed......

Kawada: Say what motherfucker?!? 

Announcer: YAKUZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

• Like 1

So were there some shitty things going on with the NWA in the 80's? Seems like Memphis and All Japan left about the same time and suddenly became affiliated with the AWA. 

Memphis and AJ  had worked with the AWA for many years. One had nothing to do with the other.

So, I'm watching IYH: Ground Zero. I actually feel bad for Bret being stuck with The Patriot for his second and third to last (US) PPV matches. Shitty drop off heading into his final match. So with that, was The Patriot/Del Wilkes ever regarded as a good wrestler? I'm unfamiliar with anything he's done besides knowing that he was tag champs with Bagwell. They really built him up with clips of him in Japan, fighting Misawa. He seemed pretty awful during this WWF run. His shoot in WWF Magazine is the only thing of note in my mind.

Watching the Pillman gun angle- I know that was Steve Lombardi in the backyard, but who was the black guy getting his ass kicked by Austin?

I don't think that was Lombardi at all, was it? Not sure about the other guy. Weren't they both Les Thatcher students or something? Could've been a trainee. Still, they were some awesomely stiff beat downs to each guy. Even at 10, and as an avid ECW viewer, I thought they were pretty damn harsh. Especially that Radio Flyer wagon shot.