DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

Wow.  I though maybe the first post was a joke.  I can't believe Bruno's perm caused so much heat.  That may be one of the best wrestling stories I've ever heard.  The more I hear about Bill Watts the less I like him.  Maybe it is just because JR loves him so much, and I have developed an intense hatred for JR in the past year or so.  

Wow.  I though maybe the first post was a joke.  I can't believe Bruno's perm caused so much heat.  That may be one of the best wrestling stories I've ever heard.  The more I hear about Bill Watts the less I like him.  Maybe it is just because JR loves him so much, and I have developed an intense hatred for JR in the past year or so.  

Wait, so that story is actually true? Watts really gave Bruno shit over his hair? Where can I read/hear about this?

I thought we were joking.

Though it's not out of the realm of possibility that Watts would talk shit about Bruno's hair. Neither is the idea that Bruno would get sulky about it and hold a grudge for 40 years.

• Like 1

Of course. Had he sprung for restoration, he would've looked like Stalin. Which is completely against every fiber of his being.

Maybe Watts couldn't find a Chinese food delivery guy in time to translate his order from English to Chinese.

• Like 2

So, I put on an old tape as background noise recently, and and episode of Championship Wrestling from Florida came on (from either '87 or '88). Jack Gregory and Kevin Sullivan were the announcers, and there was one instance of commentary that passed me by after watching it the first time:

Gregory: We always get cards and letters, so we'd like to take this time to say hello to the Toffoloni family, big fans of Championship Wrestling from Florida.

Sullivan: What, is that some babe that said she'd cut your hair? I know who the Toffoloni family is! I know Maureen said she'd cut your hair sometime!

It was a little jarring knowing what eventually happened, but I thought is was a interesting shout out. Any other instances of this? I remember saying a Prime Time clip where Bobby Heenan referenced "his friend Jessica".

Ventura used to give shout outs to "big fans" Terry, Tyrel and Jade on commentary all the time. Much younger me always wondered what they did to get mentioned on air.

Terry (Theresa) is his wife.  Tyrel and Jade are his kids.

So, I put on an old tape as background noise recently, and and episode of Championship Wrestling from Florida came on (from either '87 or '88). Jack Gregory and Kevin Sullivan were the announcers, and there was one instance of commentary that passed me by after watching it the first time:

Gregory: We always get cards and letters, so we'd like to take this time to say hello to the Toffoloni family, big fans of Championship Wrestling from Florida.

Sullivan: What, is that some babe that said she'd cut your hair? I know who the Toffoloni family is! I know Maureen said she'd cut your hair sometime!

It was a little jarring knowing what eventually happened, but I thought is was a interesting shout out. Any other instances of this? I remember saying a Prime Time clip where Bobby Heenan referenced "his friend Jessica".

The January '95 Clash of the Champions has a bit where Flair and Vader are both in the crowd watching the main event, which is Hogan & Savage vs. Sullivan & Beefcake. Flair has 2 girls with him and all throughout the night Heenan references how he is going to go out partying with Flair and the two girls after the show, identifying them multiple times as Cynthia and Jessica - the names of his wife and daughter, as revealed in the 2004 HOF speech.

• 2 weeks later...

So MLW ran a show in New York City in their first year. What did it look like attendance and quality wise?

Also, I know Court Bauer ran the promotion, but was he the booker or was someone else booking the promotion?

Claimed attendance was 1,600.

Bauer was the booker.

I'll let someone else comment on the quality.  Haven't watched any of the MLW shows in years, but I don't remember liking any of them.  Looking over the results, the only thing that jumps out at me was it was one of my first exposures to Satoshi Kojima.