DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

IIRC Vince wanted to hire Ole at one point, and Ole told Vince to go fuck himself.

It was when Vince bought the TBS slot from the Briscoes. He ran into Ole and said, "ole, come work for me and Ill make you rich." and Ole said "Fuck you and your wife.".

• Like 1

IIRC Vince wanted to hire Ole at one point, and Ole told Vince to go fuck himself.

It was when Vince bought the TBS slot from the Briscoes. He ran into Ole and said, "ole, come work for me and Ill make you rich." and Ole said "Fuck you and your wife.".

To which Vince replied "Ha ha pal, let's start with the business deal and see what happens."

• Like 8

Was watching some UWF on youtube tonight, and I need to ask what they were thinking with the forfeit title win for One Man Gang? Was Gordy actually injured? Seems like some shitty matchmaking on that episode, with the Freebirds being asked to take part in a six-man elimination match to start the show, then having to defend individual titles on the same hour or television.

Was watching some UWF on youtube tonight, and I need to ask what they were thinking with the forfeit title win for One Man Gang? Was Gordy actually injured? Seems like some shitty matchmaking on that episode, with the Freebirds being asked to take part in a six-man elimination match to start the show, then having to defend individual titles on the same hour or television.

Yeah, Gordy had been in a car accident and was legit injured.  Still was some awful booking, though.

10468367_317819251709497_471762090714486

This pic popped up on the Pro Wrestling Old School page on Facebook the other day. Not only have I never seen the match, I never even heard it had taken part. I guess my question is, seeing as it's not on the youtubes, does it live up to the potential?

Yeah it's a really good match. Also, that same show features The Ding Dongs and what I can only presume is Jack Victory under a hood as The Terrorist on a show taking place on a military base.

Okay, I was looking at the Wiki page for Dan Spivey and saw that he won the Abrams UWF Americas title. I never knew such a thing existed, so I decided to look at the title history, and I came across their total title histories. Holy fuck, were the bookers asleep for 4 years or some shit?!? My question to anyone that watched UWF- other than Steve Ray getting his ass kicked by Dr. Death, did the UWF do anything good at all? Matches, promos, TV production, attendance, booking, any fucking thing ever?

Okay, I was looking at the Wiki page for Dan Spivey and saw that he won the Abrams UWF Americas title. I never knew such a thing existed, so I decided to look at the title history, and I came across their total title histories. Holy fuck, were the bookers asleep for 4 years or some shit?!? My question to anyone that watched UWF- other than Steve Ray getting his ass kicked by Dr. Death, did the UWF do anything good at all? Matches, promos, TV production, attendance, booking, any fucking thing ever?

Terry Gordy had really good matches against Foley and Johnny Ace.  That's all I've got.

ETA: Getting Doc on The Tonight Show to promote the Blackjack Brawl was pretty fucking boss.  (Not that it made a damn bit of difference for attendance or viewership, mind you.)

• Like 1

Yeah Clash 7 from Fort Bragg, NC

That crowd was about as close to an ECW/ROH type crowd that you're gonna get for the 80's. That and maybe Halloween Havoc 89 in Philly.

Someone on here said the crowd was made up of drunk military people in a hot building

• Like 1

I'll throw an old school question here:

Vince McMahon Sr. fathered two children in North Carolina in the 1940s. How did an Irish-Catholic son of a wrestling promoter from New York end up in rural North Carolina? Has it ever been mentioned? It always seemed really random to me. 

I'll throw an old school question here:

Vince McMahon Sr. fathered two children in North Carolina in the 1940s. How did an Irish-Catholic son of a wrestling promoter from New York end up in rural North Carolina? Has it ever been mentioned? It always seemed really random to me. 

Vince Sr. joined the Coast Guard in the 1940's and was stationed in North Carolina.

Simple. Watts shit-talked Bruno after he got a perm, saying his new hair wouldn't win in a bar fight. He also called him a Mary. At least, that's what I was told.

In his shoot interview, the Missing Link said that after Bruno got his perm, Watts would not let up with the Mike Brady jokes.