DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

Was Magnum set to win the NWA title at Starrcade '86? I'd think that was a big reason for Nikita going over at the end of the Best of 7 Series

Possibly.  No one knows for sure.  The other persistent rumor was that Magnum was going to beat Nikita in an I Quit cage match at Starrcade then move on to Flair.  Buttt..... prior to Magnum's accident, Jim Crockett announced on television that Nikita's Starrcade challenger would either be Ron Garvin or Dusty (prob. Garvin).  The weekly tv seemed to be moving off Magnum-Nikita.  They teased a Magnum-Jimmy Garvin feud, but Magnum got hurt before anything came of it.  I tend to think that feud would have been more for the house show circuit, so they might still have done Magnum-Nikita.

I would guess Starrcade '86 would have been Flair/Magnum since there were no real challengers for Flair at that point and the main event that DID happen (Nikita/Flair) happened solely because Koloff turned face because of the accident.  And Flair/Nikita was SO anti-climatic (I don't think anyone actually thought Koloff had a chance) that Road Warriors/Midnights was pretty much treated as the real main event.

Magnum was definitely being groomed to win the belt, I think he was taking the same path Sting later took, but I don't know if he was actually going to win the belt at Starrcade.

I think it would take the edge off.  It's like hey everybody do you want the Aladeen news or the Aladeen news?

I'm getting sued like a motherfucker but at least I got to meet Harley Fucking Race

I don't remember if it was in his book or just from other people's stories, but supposedly that was indeed the case on more than one occasion.

After watching that TruTV show about process servers I think it's anything but mundane. People are fucking crazy.

From what I've seen, most people tend to be pretty chill or too shocked to do anything negative when served with papers. I can't imagine that confrontation (outside of people shouting and crying) would be THAT common place. 

I've dealt with a lot of domestic violence cases as a legal intern and even those bros don't snap and go crazy when served. Maybe I just work in an area where people are chill when served. 

Did any Tongans and Samoans team up and eat multiple cars? Also, is that one of those shows were the entire thing is dramatized re-enactments? There's a lot of those on TV.

"Serving Summons On Samoans & Tongans" lasted about six episodes.

The episode on advising process servers not to try headbutting them had merit, then there was the one about whether you can serve them if they're receiving it barefoot, which was really average and it was all downhill from there.

How in the world did Harley Race end up with what must be one of the world's most mundane jobs? 

KC Star, 10/16/1997

"Still on the mend, former wrestling champ Harley Race has been able to pick up some work as a process server. 

``I served one (subpoena) where a guy tried to put two Rottweilers on me,'' Race says. 

And? ``I'm not afraid of dogs. So I told the guy, 'You've got one of two choices. Either you call the dogs off or after I kill the dogs, I get you. ''"

Although i'll note that if mid-80s Kevin Sullivan worked as a process server accompanied by Bob Roop and Mark Lewin, that would be a pretty startling group of process servers.

If Austin can ever get Harley Race on the podcast, you all know you could get process server stories, right?

• Like 1

I have always heard that Mr. McMahon asked BBacklund to turn heel (and dye his hair black) and BB refused. I figure that was VKM's plan all along.

- RAF

I always heard it was turn his hair green and go Punk Rock. 

Backlund actually stuck around for awhile after the loss to Sheik, as well.