DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

Thanks for the replies. For a few what-if type questions, if Ric Flair did join the WWF would they have re-formed the 4 Horsemen and would they have been booked as strongly as they were in JCP/NWA?. Also, if Arn & Tully, Barry & Ric were booked as four top level heels how would that have changed the heel/face dynamics of the WWF, for example, would they have kept Macho as a babyface. An interesting Survivor Series match could have been the Horsemen & Ted Dibiase v Macho, Hulk, Warrior, Dusty & Jake. 

In the case of Tully and Arn, I remember watching the Horsemen DVD and him saying something about JJ Dillion's payoff after a major card (Great American Bash?) being more than twice of theirs. 

The story I heard was that it was Paul Ellering's check, not Dillon's.

Thanks for the replies. For a few what-if type questions, if Ric Flair did join the WWF would they have re-formed the 4 Horsemen and would they have been booked as strongly as they were in JCP/NWA?. Also, if Arn & Tully, Barry & Ric were booked as four top level heels how would that have changed the heel/face dynamics of the WWF, for example, would they have kept Macho as a babyface. An interesting Survivor Series match could have been the Horsemen & Ted Dibiase v Macho, Hulk, Warrior, Dusty & Jake. 

I can't even picture a Horsemen type heel stable in that era of WWF.  It just doesn't fit with the vibe that Vince wanted. 

• Like 1

After seeing the Piper promos in the other topic, when Vince decided to expand nationally did he or someone in the WWF have like a hit-list of talent they wanted to hire?. Like did they have plans to put Roddy in the top heel spot and have Hulk as top babyface or did things just fall into place?. I think they did a Guest Booker with this scenario with Kevin Sullivan, so who would they have built up to be top babyface if they didn't have Hulk Hogan and would they have still feuded with Hot Rod?. Looking at the 1984 roster, they could have turned Mr Wonderful 'face (Piper and Orton could have turned heel on him during like a title match) maybe or perhaps Ricky Steamboat?. Also they could have had the top pick of other wrestlers to put in the #1 position, and maybe went with a Savage v Piper feud which would have been something.

My understanding was Sunka WAS the top pick but then the murder thing came up and he lured Hogan. At leastthat's what I remember reading (Meltzer? Keller? Al Isaacs? who knows anymore!)

James

My understanding was Sunka WAS the top pick but then the murder thing came up and he lured Hogan. At leastthat's what I remember reading (Meltzer? Keller? Al Isaacs? who knows anymore!)

James

They were just waiting for the right moment for Yokozuna to join the Hart Foundation

James

That always felt like revisionist history to me.  Snuka was always a wild card even without the murder situation.  Between Buddy Rogers being put with him to help keep him straight (which didn't work) to getting pulled from his super-hot Piper feud to go to rehab, I don't think Vince ever trusted him to be THE face of the company.

He was clearly the guy in 1983, but I don't think Vince was ever going to make him champion.

What would Vince had done with Bob Backlund if he had wanted to stick around after dropping the belt to Hogan? I would've had Backlund remain a bland face until after WrestleMania then have him turn, become Mr. Backlund (albeit 10 years early), align with Heenan and feud with Hogan.