DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

Why was Bruiser Brody called King Kong Brody in the AWA?  Was it because they previously had a famous Bruiser?  Was he known as King Kong anywhere else?

Yeah, it was mostly because of the AWA's association with Dick the Bruiser.  Same reason Crusher Blackwell was billed as "Jerry Blackwell" in the AWA - the AWA already had a famous Crusher.  Actually, Brody feuded with Dick in the Bruiser in the WWA (Indianapolis) in 1979, with the blow-off to the feud having a stip that the loser had to change his name.  Brody won, and Dick changed his name (briefly) to "Dick the Loser".  When he met Brody in a rematch, the ring announcer introduced him as "Just Plain Dick"

Brody had been billed as "King Kong Brody" prior to his AWA stint - mostly in Central States during the early/mid 70's

Wasn't Earl Hebner orginally supposed to be a random guy that Dibiase paid to get surgery to look like Dave Hebner?  Did they ever explain that away or abandon it, or am I supposed to still assume that Earl is that same random dude and that Dave is the only real Hebner?

Never explained outside of Hulk's hysterical speculation. Although if we're going on a Story Logic Free Ride, it would dictate that Dibiase paid off whoever assigned referees in order to have Dave Hebner assigned for the purpose of bringing in his also-paid-off twin brother.

The one gaping plot hole is you would THINK Dibiase would have some kind of legal Consigliere who would have pointed out the whole plot was going to be thwarted by the rulebook, but his character had so much hubris that person's advice was probably ignored. It HAD to happen, it was the last piece of the puzzle required in order to vacate the title, but still.

Question: Is the only thing differentiating the silly contracts early WCW wrestlers were getting in '88 (and late JCP days too) from the guaranteed contracts Hall and Nash got from WCW in '96 that the latter got paid regardless of whether they were injured or not? Because Ole Anderson sure makes them sound the same sort of deal. Guys weren't getting paid percentages of the house but had guaranteed moneys.

John Cena vs. CM Punk at the Money in the Bank 2011 PPV for the WWE Championship lasted 33:44. Is that the longest WWE Championship match on PPV and TV if you don't count Iron Man matches? Ta.

Put up the mookie-signal. :)

Anybody know anything about a planned Cowboy Bob Orton return to WWF in late 1989/early 1990? Only two mentions of it I can find on historyofwwe.com are:

WWF @ Springfield, IL - Prairie Capital Convention Center - October 11, 1989Ted Dibiase pinned Bob Orton Jr.WWF @ New York City, NY - Madison Square Garden - January 15, 1990 (11,500)Prime Time Wrestling - 2/19/90: Akeem (sub. for Bob Orton Jr. who was to have returned) pinned Bret Hart at 8:30 by blocking a sunset flip and hitting a sit-down splash

Would love to know what was planned and why it didnt happen.

I too, would love to know why this didn't happen and what the plans for him were. My best guess would be a feud w/ Piper.

John Cena vs. CM Punk at the Money in the Bank 2011 PPV for the WWE Championship lasted 33:44. Is that the longest WWE Championship match on PPV and TV if you don't count Iron Man matches? Ta.

If you're including multi-man matches, there's the WrestleMania 2000 4 way going 36:24 and the WWE Championship Elimination Chamber from No Way Out 2009 going 36:01.

Strictly singles matches, it's Backlund/Bret from Survivor Series 94 which is listed on HistoryofWWE as 34:44

• Like 2

If you're including multi-man matches, there's the WrestleMania 2000 4 way going 36:24 and the WWE Championship Elimination Chamber from No Way Out 2009 going 36:01.

Strictly singles matches, it's Backlund/Bret from Survivor Series 94 which is listed on HistoryofWWE as 34:44

Cheers mate! I'm out of likes but I'll give you one when filled up again ; ).

Cheers mate! I'm out of likes but I'll give you one when filled up again ; ).

Just quickly looking through my post-1984 database, here were the 30+ minute matches that I found. Though as has been noted, not all were "strictly singles"...

WrestleMania XII - Anaheim, CA - Arrowhead Pond - March 31, 1996 (15,855; 12,909 paid)

Shawn Michaels (w/ Jose Lothario) defeated WWF World Champion Bret Hart in an Ironman match to win the title; the original decision was a draw at 60:02, as neither man had scored a fall in the 60-minute time-limit, however the match was restarted by WWF President Gorilla Monsoon, with Michaels hitting two superkicks in sudden death to pick up the win at 1:53

Survivor Series 02 - New York City, NY - Madison Square Garden - November 17, 2002 (17,930; 15,500 paid)

Shawn Michaels defeated World Heavyweight Champion Triple H, Booker T, Rob Van Dam, WWE Raw Tag Team Champion Chris Jericho, and Kane in an Elimination Chamber match to win the title at 39:21

Armageddon 02 - Ft. Lauderdale, FL - Office Depot Center - December 15, 2002 (9,000)

Triple H defeated World Heavyweight Champion Shawn Michaels in a Best 2 out of 3 falls match to win the title at 38:33

WAR / WWF @ Yokohama, Japan - September 15, 1992 (12,000)

WWF World Champion Ric Flair fought Genichiro Tenryu to a draw in a Best 2 out of 3 falls match at 38:35; fall #1: Tenryu pinned Flair with a powerbomb at 13:03; fall #2: Flair defeated Tenryu with the figure-4 at 11:01; fall #3: both men were counted-out at 13:46

No Way Out 09 - Seattle, WA - Key Arena - February 15, 2009 (matinee) (11,362)

Triple H defeated the Undertaker, Jeff Hardy, the Big Show, Vladimir Kozlov, and WWE World Champion Edge to win the title in an Elimination Chamber match at 36:01

WrestleMania 2000 - Anaheim, CA - Arrowhead Pond - April 2, 2000 (18,034; announced at 19,776; 16,716 paid)

WWF World Champion Triple H (w/ Stephanie McMahon) defeated the Rock (w/ Vince McMahon), the Big Show (w/ Shane McMahon), and Mick Foley (w/ Linda McMahon) in a No DQ elimination match at 36:24

WWF @ Kiel, Germany - Ostseehalle - September 27, 1992

WWF World Champion Ric Flair defeated Bret Hart at 35:13

Elimination Chamber - St. Louis, MO - Scottrade Center - February 21, 2010 (17,628; 14,000 paid; sell out)

Chris Jericho defeated World Heavyweight Champion the Undertaker, Rey Mysterio Jr., R-Truth, John Morrison, and CM Punk (w/ Luke Gallows & Serena) in an Elimination Chamber match to win the title at 35:39

Elimination Chamber 2012 - Milwaukee, WI - Bradley Center - February 19, 2012 (15,306; sell out)

World Heavyweight Champion Daniel Bryan defeated WWE IC Champion Cody Rhodes, the Great Khali, the Big Show, Santino Marella, and Wade Barrett in an Elimination Chamber match at 34:04

Survivor Series 94 - San Antonio, TX - Freeman Coliseum - November 23, 1994 (10,000; 8,000 paid; announced as a sell out)

Bob Backlund (w/ Owen Hart) defeated WWF World Champion Bret Hart (w/ Davey Boy Smith) to win the title at 34:44 in a match where the participants' seconds would have to throw in the towel to end the match

Summer Slam 94 - Chicago, IL - United Center - August 29, 1994 (23,000; 19,500 paid; sell out)

WWF World Champion Bret Hart defeated Owen Hart in a steel cage match at 32:08 when, as both men were hanging on the outside of the cage, the champion rammed Owen's head into the cage and Owen was hung upside down with his legs caught in-between the steel bars

Armageddon 00 - Birmingham, AL - Boutwell Auditorium - December 10, 2000 (14,920)

WWF World Champion Kurt Angle defeated Steve Austin, Rikishi, the Undertaker, the Rock, and Triple H in a Hell in a Cell bout at 32:10

Money in the Bank 2011 - Chicago, IL - AllState Arena - July 17, 2011 (14,815; sell out)

CM Punk pinned WWE World Champion John Cena to win the title at 33:44 with the Go To Sleep

Elimination Chamber 2012 - Milwaukee, WI - Bradley Center - February 19, 2012 (15,306; sell out)

WWE World Champion CM Punk defeated Chris Jericho, R-Truth, Kofi Kingston, Dolph Ziggler (w/ Vickie Guerrero), and Mike Mizanin in an Elimination Chamber match at 32:38

Elimination Chamber 2011 - Oakland, CA - Oracle Arena - February 20, 2011 (11,500)

World Heavyweight Champion Edge defeated Kane, Drew McIntyre, Wade Barrett, Rey Mysterio Jr., and the Big Show (sub. for Dolph Ziggler) in an Elimination Chamber match at 31:30

No Way Out 04 (Smackdown!) - San Francisco, CA - Cow Palace - February 15, 2004 (11,000; 9,000 paid; sell out)

Eddie Guerrero pinned WWE World Champion Brock Lesnar to win the title at 30:05 with the Frog Splash after reversing an attempt at the F5 into a tornado DDT onto the title belt

Backlash 04 (Raw) - Edmonton, Alberta - Rexall Place - April 18, 2004

World Heavyweight Champion Chris Benoit defeated Triple H and Shawn Michaels at 30:09 when Michaels submitted to the champion's Sharpshooter

Elimination Chamber - St. Louis, MO - Scottrade Center - February 21, 2010 (17,628; 14,000 paid; sell out)

John Cena defeated Randy Orton, WWE World Champion Sheamus, Kofi Kingston, Ted Dibiase Jr., and Triple H in an Elimination Chamber match at 30:23 to win the title

WWF @ San Francisco - Cow Palace - December 11, 1992 (4,000; 3,000 paid)

WWF World Champion Bret Hart pinned Ric Flair with a roll up at 30:55

I'm sure I'm missing many.

• Like 2

Anybody know anything about a planned Cowboy Bob Orton return to WWF in late 1989/early 1990? Only two mentions of it I can find on historyofwwe.com are: WWF @ Springfield, IL - Prairie Capital Convention Center - October 11, 1989Ted Dibiase pinned Bob Orton Jr.WWF @ New York City, NY - Madison Square Garden - January 15, 1990 (11,500)Prime Time Wrestling - 2/19/90: Akeem (sub. for Bob Orton Jr. who was to have returned) pinned Bret Hart at 8:30 by blocking a sunset flip and hitting a sit-down splash Would love to know what was planned and why it didnt happen.

I too, would love to know why this didn't happen and what the plans for him were. My best guess would be a feud w/ Piper.
He ended 1990 by being part of the Herb Abram's UWF for the TV tapings in California. Wonder if he got more money from them?Here's a RSPW post from Jan 1990 mentioning Orton rejoining WWF. Same rumor shows up in June 1990. And again in September. You think it was Al Isaacs with Yokozuna at this rate!

here's a quickie:

In October 1994, Luna Vachon and David "Gangrel/Vampire Warrior" Heath were married. i keep running across references to this appearing on WWF tv, but it's always referred to in a vague sense, never a date or show listed. Any ideas if this actually aired and when?

here's a quickie:

In October 1994, Luna Vachon and David "Gangrel/Vampire Warrior" Heath were married. i keep running across references to this appearing on WWF tv, but it's always referred to in a vague sense, never a date or show listed. Any ideas if this actually aired and when?

It absolutely aired, but it was just a just a quick little 1:00 piece on Superstars. I cant remember WHY precisely it aired, maybe just a generic personality profile thing or something, but I remember recognizing Heath as Vampire Warrior from USWA.