DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

I remember Porteau fairly well from his push in Global.  I should remember him from his other stops (WWF, WCW, etc.), but really don't.  My impression of him is that he was an average worker with a bland in-ring persona.  Global might be the only fed he got any sort of push in.

There's a very good reason for that.

And y'all forgot Salvatore Sincere, who was actually there for quite a bit longer than the rest,

Don't you mean Tom Brandi? He's what we call a "jobber".

• Like 2

There's a very good reason for that.

And y'all forgot Salvatore Sincere, who was actually there for quite a bit longer than the rest,

Don't you mean Tom Brandi? He's what we call a "jobber".

Clearly an early Russoism, though much worse was to come later.

Word!!!  I legit though Battle Kat was going to be the WWF champion.

I thought Battle Kat was awesome as a kid! I remember a full page write up on him in WWF Magazine and about 2-3 matches he had, and then he was never seen again. Was always disappointed he didn't stick around.

The Brady Boone version was pretty exciting by WWF standards, the Bob Bradley one, not so much.

Bless you, that's been bugging the shit out of me.  I knew there was a second one, but I couldn't remember who.  Brady Boone was pretty much Blue Blazer 2.0, Bob Bradley's version looked uneasy just standing on the top rope.

I'm watching a Best of Nitro comp and during Scott Steiner-Giant (Which, if you want to see a pop, listen to the crowd after Steiner hits a pretty badass suplex on Giant) and they mention doing a house show at the Paramount Theater at Madison Square Garden. I never recall WCW doing shows here and am surprised as everyone knows that anything that says MSG on it is sole property of WWE so how did this happen and was there any buzz around this at all with WWE getting upset about WCW running this venue?

WCW ran the Paramount once before in 1993 and the show did poorly.  They sold only a little over half of the 5,000 seat theater, Ric Flair no-showed to the anger of the fans, and somehow a Chris Benoit-Ron Simmons match ended up being so bad, one of the agents stopped it before the finish.

They only ran it one other time which was in 1996, and they failed to sell it out that time either.  I know WWF was in a war at the time, but if WCW couldn't even sell out a 5,000 seat theater, they probably weren't too worried about them taking over MSG.

That part makes sense but I am just surprised that MSG would let WCW use the venue with their allegiance to the WWF. Then again, I guess there are probably some legalities where MSG might have had to let WCW use it if there wasn't any exclusivities on it. Anyways, yeah, just thought it was interesting that WCW would tread that close to WWF's big arena.

EDIT: And in terms of timeframe, this was RIGHT after Hogan was revealed as the 3rd man so I'm also surprised that the show bombed...

• 2 weeks later...

Jimmy Garvin turns up at Superbrawl, having not wrestled in 2 years. Loses to Mero, but beats him down after the match and debuts his new finish (a stunner in 1994....).

He doesn't wrestle in WCW again, and aside from a few indy dates, is done a few months later all together.

What happened there?

Jimmy Garvin turns up at Superbrawl, having not wrestled in 2 years. Loses to Mero, but beats him down after the match and debuts his new finish (a stunner in 1994....).

He doesn't wrestle in WCW again, and aside from a few indy dates, is done a few months later all together.

What happened there?

It's not his fault, he's a Freebird, what's your excuse?

• Like 9

They'd already taped several months worth of Johnny B. Badd vs. Michael Hayes stuff which was supposed to lead to a match at Superbrawl.  Hayes injured his back so he couldn't work the match, so they put Garvin in there instead, even though he was pretty much retired (I believe he became a pilot). 

SuperBrawl '94 was Flair's first ppv as booker (replacing Dusty).  He had no interest in Garvin, but brought him back to fill Haye's spot in the match as a favor to Hayes (and it made sense to bring in another Freebird). 

Garvin worked Global after he left WCW in 1992.  He retired when Global went under.  He later said in an interview that he would have retired regardless.  He turned 40 that year, and had earlier decided to retire when he turned 40 to become a pilot.

Garvin used the stunner exactly once, in the SuperBrawl match.