DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

I would have put Fujiwara in the highest class of headbutts, even over Samoans and black wrestlers.

I believe he would headbutt the ring-post and he's shown no ill effects from it. Nigel's just a wimp! :o

Edit: I don't really remember the source on this, but Wikipedia doesn't give one.

In the late 1970s, Fujiwara became embroiled in a feud with Allen Coage (a former Olympic judo bronze medal winner who had debuted as a pro wrestler in NJPW, and one of the first gaijins to be trained at the NJPW dojo) over the petty issue of who had the strongest head. Fujiwara would bang his head repeatedly against the ring's corner post's metal face to provoke Coage, and behind the scenes, Coage would advise him not to do so repeatedly, in fear of suffering permanent real-life damage.

Does anyone else have a claim to the record of most unsuccessful world title shots on PPV (without winning one) than Davey Boy Smith?

* - Rumble 92

* - beats Vader by DQ at Slamboree 93

* - loses to Shawn/Diesel at IYH

* - beats Diesel by DQ at IYH

* - loses to Bret at IYH
* - draw with Shawn at IYH (technically two given the issues with the feed)

* -  loses to Shawn at KOTR

* - loses Six Pack Challenge at Unforgiven 99

Batista is 5/24 also.

Does anyone else have a claim to the record of most unsuccessful world title shots on PPV (without winning one) than Davey Boy Smith?

* - Rumble 92

* - beats Vader by DQ at Slamboree 93

* - loses to Shawn/Diesel at IYH

* - beats Diesel by DQ at IYH

* - loses to Bret at IYH

* - draw with Shawn at IYH (technically two given the issues with the feed)

* -  loses to Shawn at KOTR

* - loses Six Pack Challenge at Unforgiven 99

Luger? As far as I can remember, he only won the title at a ppv once and that wasn't even against the champ. He had ppv shots at Flair, Yoko, the mini-tourney at WMX and The Giant where he failed. He beat Hogan but that was on a Nitro.

Did Arn Anderson know his match with Lex Luger from Slim Jims Halloween Havoc 96 was going to be his last one going into it? I'm under the belief that he was hurt going into the match but I don't know if he planned on that being his last match or if he was still planning on wrestling but wasn't able to recover from his injury and was forced to retire.

That wasn't Arn's last match, I went to a Saturday Night taping in January 1997 and remember Arn wrestling.  Looking at thehistoryofwwe.com, Arn's last match was teaming with Steve McMichael against the Amazing French Canadians on the 1/27 Nitro.  I actually saw Arn's second to last match in person, didn't realize that.  Looking further down in the results mentions Flair saying in an interview that Arn would be back wrestling after his surgery, so I'm guessing everyone was expecting him to come back.

Okay since I mentioned this in the omnibus thread and it went unnoticed I'll ask here.

Adam Bomb. When I first saw him aged 9 or 10 I thought "wow". He was big, had a colourful singlet and a pretty cool gimmick (so I thought), but I can't remember anything about the guy in-ring wise. I was sure this dude would be champ. I had no doubt he would be a huge star. Then nothing happened with the guy.

So I'm asking this; did he suck?

Did Arn Anderson know his match with Lex Luger from Slim Jims Halloween Havoc 96 was going to be his last one going into it? I'm under the belief that he was hurt going into the match but I don't know if he planned on that being his last match or if he was still planning on wrestling but wasn't able to recover from his injury and was forced to retire.

That wasn't Arn's last match, I went to a Saturday Night taping in January 1997 and remember Arn wrestling.  Looking at thehistoryofwwe.com, Arn's last match was teaming with Steve McMichael against the Amazing French Canadians on the 1/27 Nitro.  I actually saw Arn's second to last match in person, didn't realize that.  Looking further down in the results mentions Flair saying in an interview that Arn would be back wrestling after his surgery, so I'm guessing everyone was expecting him to come back.

Yep. He mentioned it in a PPV promo too, claiming it was a hand surgery.

Okay since I mentioned this in the omnibus thread and it went unnoticed I'll ask here.

Adam Bomb. When I first saw him aged 9 or 10 I thought "wow". He was big, had a colourful singlet and a pretty cool gimmick (so I thought), but I can't remember anything about the guy in-ring wise. I was sure this dude would be champ. I had no doubt he would be a huge star. Then nothing happened with the guy.

He wasn't terrible, but I don't think he was all that special aside from his look. I remember hearing that he ran afoul of The Klique in the WWF in the 90's, and Nash later squashed a well-built Wrath win streak in a throwaway Nitro match so that seems plausible.

Yep. He mentioned it in a PPV promo too, claiming it was a hand surgery.

Gotcha. Thanks fellas.

He wasn't terrible, but I don't think he was all that special aside from his look. I remember hearing that he ran afoul of The Klique in the WWF in the 90's, and Nash later squashed a well-built Wrath win streak in a throwaway Nitro match so that seems plausible.

Yeah, about halfway through the period of Goldberg's Undefeated Streak, Wrath got reintroduced to the WCW audience (look/costume change, not gimmick change) with a similarly booked Unbeaten Streak/Win Streak (they did not claim he was Undefeated like with Goldberg, only "unbeaten since his return").  If I recall correctly they started having the broadcast team draw parallels between the two and may have been laying the foundation for a future Goldberg vs Wrath bout.

But Wrath's first "real test" match in that streak was against Kevin Nash and Nash killed his streak dead (no cattle prod required).

When he started in WWF in Spring 1993 they had him squash a jobber almost every week (check Jae's "RAW 1993 recap series" blog, Adam Bomb shows up a lot) but rarely gave him a match against a "name".   I never heard what they thought they were saving him for (or who he pissed off), but he never got a 1 on 1 PPV match until Wrestlemania X, wherein he of course gets squashed (in multiple senses of the word) by Earthquake.  And then he kinda disappeared.

He was a big dude with aerial moves and he had a good look, and even the sort of build Vince usually likes, but for whatever reason he just never really got started. Come to think of it I wanna know why, now, too.

In hindsight:

* - Wrath had most of the offense in that match against Nash. Wasn't a squash per se. He controlled most of the match, then Nash cut him off, hit his finish and it was over.

* - Made sense in the context of the bigger story - Nash conquers smaller streak en route to challenging the biggest streak of them all at the time. Just wasn't played up well enough at the time.

* - Bigger issue was how little he did afterwards. A nothing feud with Bam Bam.

* - Wouldn't have been such a big deal had Nash not been the booker at the time.

I really liked him in the WWF too, and thought he was underused.

He did nothing afterward because Nash the booker didn't book him to do anything afterward. One of the more egregious examples of the self-serving booking that got Nash the reputation he has among wrestling fans. It did nothing for Nash and wasted a potential opponent for Goldberg.

• Like 1

They knew that Nash was ending the streak though beforehand. That was the bigger end-game, rightly or wrongly.

It was a month before the PPV in WCW. I highly doubt it had anything to do with the buildup to that match.

Not like he didn't (in some form or another) end up having a program with Goldberg anyway.

He didn't?

They knew that Nash was ending the streak though beforehand. That was the bigger end-game, rightly or wrongly.

It was a month before the PPV in WCW. I highly doubt it had anything to do with the buildup to that match.

Not like he didn't (in some form or another) end up having a program with Goldberg anyway.

He didn't?

It was the night after World War 3, when he won the #1 Contendership to face Goldberg. It was definitely part of the build up.

Whilst it doesn't really count - Kronik had that small program with Goldberg in the later days of WCW.

I love Kevin Nash, but it really just hit me that there was a (brief) period where Kevin FN Nash booked a major wrestling promotion during one of wrestling's hottest periods. Good grief. WCW gon' WCW.

I love Kevin Nash, but it really just hit me that there was a (brief) period where Kevin FN Nash booked a major wrestling promotion during one of wrestling's hottest periods. Good grief. WCW gon' WCW.

I like how in The Death Of WCW book it talked about how in 1999 Nash had a meeting with all the WCW talent and pretty much laid blame on Flair, Bret, Benoit, Jericho, Eddy, Rey, Malenko, Raven and Saturn- the most talented workers in WCW at the time- for the sagging ratings. 

The Wrath loss to Nash in a vacuum doesn't look so bad. However, keep in mind, that anyone who mattered in WCW rarely lost clean. To have an undefeated streak and little bit of steam behind you and get dropped clean in a short nothing match with no buildup really sent a message about where you were going.

I don't know what the story was with Clarke. His career seems to get revisited every so often because he had one of the all time great wrestling looks. With a look like that it's hard to believe neither of the big two feds tried to slide him into a main event slot or figure out a way to make some money off of him.