DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

Random question after watching the WWE Network show on the NWO. Assuming Vince would have gone full in like Eric. At the time could an NWO group have worked in WWF at the time?

considering the purpose of the NWO in 2002 and the coincidental timing of when they lost the WWF name, they could have had the NWO literally kill the WWF in a way

Although they kinda screwed it up by having them show up like nothing unusual during their first appearance on PPV. But I guess they were too old to be booked like the Shield

Could have done it very easily.

Vader shows up.

Then Sid.

Shawn/Ahmed/Warrior vs. Sid/Vader/mystery partner at the IYH PPV that they pretty much had this as the main anyway.

Third man turns out to be Bret.

Sure if you play with debuts a little bit longer, you can have any number of Foley, Ron Simmons, Pillman, Windham, Dustin Rhodes and Stunning Steve Austin as the next guys who debut as well.

Watching 1993 WCW, and were there ever any plans to turn Vader face? As the year goes along the fans cheer Vader more and more, and by the time Battlebowl comes around it appears as if the fans have taken  such a liking to Vader beating the tar out of everyone that they cheer him ferociously all night? I know Vader was very effective as a monster heel, but he sure seems headed towards being a face by the end of 1993. Did Hogan arriving change all that, or were they just content to keep Vader as a heel?

Random question after watching the WWE Network show on the NWO. Assuming Vince would have gone full in like Eric. At the time could an NWO group have worked in WWF at the time?

considering the purpose of the NWO in 2002 and the coincidental timing of when they lost the WWF name, they could have had the NWO literally kill the WWF in a way

Although they kinda screwed it up by having them show up like nothing unusual during their first appearance on PPV. But I guess they were too old to be booked like the Shield

I think it would have been hard to keep Hogan heel for very long. He was going to get cheered in Toronto no matter what. Add in the fact Nash come in injured leaving Scott Hall as the guy to hold it together, the nWo (as that original three) was doomed from the beginning in WWE.

Watching 1993 WCW, and were there ever any plans to turn Vader face? As the year goes along the fans cheer Vader more and more, and by the time Battlebowl comes around it appears as if the fans have taken  such a liking to Vader beating the tar out of everyone that they cheer him ferociously all night? I know Vader was very effective as a monster heel, but he sure seems headed towards being a face by the end of 1993. Did Hogan arriving change all that, or were they just content to keep Vader as a heel?

Vader actually turned face in 1995 right before leaving WCW.  He was scheduled to be on Hogan's team for War Games.

There were like 2 or 3 occassions in which we barely avoided a Ken Kennedy championship reign.

I was never much of an Edge fan, and was somewhat stunned by how hard he was pushed the last few years of his career, but during his entire main event run I just kept telling myself "this was supposed to be Kennedy," which made it slightly more bearable.

Edit: but let's not discuss such disturbing subjects as Ken Kennedy. Has anybody heard if Tatanka's unbeaten streak was at any time the start of much larger plans? It seemed so weird that such a big deal was made of his streak, considering he never was pushed very hard.

From Wikipedia:

In the late 1970s, Fujiwara became embroiled in a feud with Allen Coage (a former Olympic judo bronze medal winner who had debuted as a pro wrestler in NJPW, and one of the first gaijins to be trained at the NJPW dojo) over the petty issue of who had the strongest head. Fujiwara would bang his head repeatedly against the ring's corner post's metal face to provoke Coage, and behind the scenes, Coage would advise him not to do so repeatedly, in fear of suffering permanent real-life damage.

This sounds hilarious and amazing. Is there any footage of Fujiwara vs. Bad News?

They had a televised single match in NJ in December '81.  Also a six-man with Abdullah and SD Jones (!) on Allen's team and Kimura and Sakaguchi on Fujiwara's, in November '82, and a tag match with Murdoch and Kimura as their respective partners, in August '83.

From Wikipedia:

In the late 1970s, Fujiwara became embroiled in a feud with Allen Coage (a former Olympic judo bronze medal winner who had debuted as a pro wrestler in NJPW, and one of the first gaijins to be trained at the NJPW dojo) over the petty issue of who had the strongest head. Fujiwara would bang his head repeatedly against the ring's corner post's metal face to provoke Coage, and behind the scenes, Coage would advise him not to do so repeatedly, in fear of suffering permanent real-life damage.

This sounds hilarious and amazing. Is there any footage of Fujiwara vs. Bad News?

I remember Akira Maeda & Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs. Bad News Allen & Steve Williams (7/25/86) on the NJPW set being decent fun but not living up to those names.

Did Arn Anderson know his match with Lex Luger from Slim Jims Halloween Havoc 96 was going to be his last one going into it? I'm under the belief that he was hurt going into the match but I don't know if he planned on that being his last match or if he was still planning on wrestling but wasn't able to recover from his injury and was forced to retire.