DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

There's a big gap in the timeline between Poffo and Kellum getting signed...

- Savage signs with WCW

- After SMW closes, Kellum starts using Gorgeous George III gimmick in TN.  III probably because a Gorgeous George, Jr. worked in TN previously.

- Savage tells Poffo he bought the Gorgeous George name (from who I don't know) and wants to bring him into WCW with the gimmick.  Poffo never debuts with the company.

- Kellum is signed to WCW.  He wrestled a couple of dark matches with the Gorgeous George III gimmick although those may have been prior to signing a contract.

- Savage had been gone for a while and returns all yoked up with his new broad named 'Gorgeous George'.

- Kellum debuts as The Maestro.

- Savage splits with his yak.

- She ends up in ECW as 'George'.

- Kellum is released from WCW and starts working indies as The Stro

- WCW bought by WWF

- WWE inducts Gorgeous George into the WWE HOF with his first ex-wife Betty accepting.  Reportedly, WWE acquired the film rights to make a film based on the life of Gorgeous George as well.  No further progress on that to date.

One would presume that WCW would've trademarked the name in 1999.  I seriously doubt Kellum would've bothered doing it himself although it turned out he was actually related to the original somehow.  There were multiple Gorgeous George, Jr.'s running around prior to Kellum using the gimmick as well.  And I seem to recall hearing that one of Wagner's wives, maybe Betty, used to con promoters and wrestlers by selling them the gimmick even though she didn't actually own it.  Maybe that's who Macho thought he bought it from.

I don't know if this question goes here or in the Japan folder, but I'm going to ask it here.

You always hear about how Terry Funk is a really big deal in Japan and how much of a legend he is, so why was he wrestling in garbage feds with Foley in the mid-90s?

I guess it was like Booker T, Kurt Angle, Jeff Hardy, Sting, Hogan, and other bonafide legends working for TNA. All of the guys mentioned at one point did something where WWE was not an option. Perhaps Funk pissed someone off?

Or maybe he just didn't want to work for the WWF at that time, or WWF didn't want him because they didn't think he could go in the ring any longer. It's certainly a possibility, and from all I've heard Terry really enjoyed what he was doing in the mid-90s.

I don't know if this question goes here or in the Japan folder, but I'm going to ask it here.

You always hear about how Terry Funk is a really big deal in Japan and how much of a legend he is, so why was he wrestling in garbage feds with Foley in the mid-90s?

quite a few Japanese legends from the 80s/90s are freelancing in a lot less glamorous locations these days. Some are just their micro-federation. But there's stuff like Kawada in HUSTLE that could be similar to Funk working some real underground stuff in the 90s

While watching the Rumble '93 today, I saw Flair and Lawler, two heels, tear into one another. It led me to researching how much back history in terms of feuds there was between them, thinking that I was getting some sort of easter egg for fans who might have seen these two feud in Memphis months earlier or something.

Anyway, this led me to reading a few articles on Flair and Lawler drawing a record gate in Memphis in 1985. In one article, posted here, I read this sentence: "Even with Hulk Hogan on the card, Vince couldn’t draw in Memphis in 1985."

I looked around to try and find numbers for WWF shows in Memphis in 1985, but I couldn't find anything. I know that a few of you are privy to these numbers. In short, is this statement true? If it is, that is pretty amazing. I wonder if there were other territorial holdouts too. For example, did WWF and Hogan draw well in Minneapolis, Portland, Charlotte, Atlanta, etc.?

• Like 1

Go try to figure out why Onita is in the WON HOF.

Because he was All Japan's junior ace in his first career, and created the monstrosity that's known as FMW in his second.

Speaking of  Rumble '93, this has always bugged me: Yoko and Savage are the last two in the ring.  Savage (somehow) gets Yoko off his feet, then goes up and hits the elbow.  Yoko kicks out, and in the process launches Savage over the top.  Illogical but whatever, Yoko wins in the end.

So the next night on Raw, Vince is saying that Yoko has never been off his feet.  Rob Bartlett reminds Vince of the finish of the match the previous night, which causes Vince (in so many words) to tell Bartlett to shut the fuck up.

We know Savage wasn't big on calling it in the ring, so I assume that was all supposed to happen.  But if so, why did Vince kayfabe it the next night?

Savage didn't knock Yoko down, Yoko missed a corner splash and fell over on his own.  Duggan was the first person to physically knock Yoko over.  Odds are that Vince screwed up and said that Yoko "had never been off his feet" and then Rob stupidly pounced with a correction.

• Like 1

I looked around to try and find numbers for WWF shows in Memphis in 1985, but I couldn't find anything. I know that a few of you are privy to these numbers. In short, is this statement true? If it is, that is pretty amazing. I wonder if there were other territorial holdouts too. For example, did WWF and Hogan draw well in Minneapolis, Portland, Charlotte, Atlanta, etc.?

There's an amazing thread about this over at PWO called "Vince McMahon vs. the World" that goes into an unbelievable amount of detail about the expansion/invasions, but as far as Memphis...I think this was Vince's first incursion (courtesy of KrisZ):

WWF @ Memphis, TN - Convention Center - June 24, 1984 (950)

SD Jones defeated Lanny Kean

Jesse Ventura defeated Billy Travis

Big John Studd won an 18-man battle royal by last eliminating Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant

Big John Studd defeated Joey Rossi

Mil Mascaras defeated Samula

WWF IC Champion Tito Santana & Jimmy Snuka defeated WWF Tag Team Champions The North-South Connection via disqualification

WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan defeated Moondog Rex

WWF @ Louisville, KY - Convention Center - June 25, 1984 (2,500)

Paul Orndorff defeated Billy Travis

Mil Mascaras defeated Jerry Valiant

Big John Studd won an 18-man battle royal by last eliminating Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant

Big John Studd defeated Lanny Kean

WWF IC Champion Tito Santana defeated Joey Rossi

SD Jones defeated Moondog Spot

Jimmy Snuka defeated Samula

WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan pinned Moondog Rex

That same night Jarrett ran this show the day after Vince invaded Memphis and notice the crowd size

CWA @ Memphis, TN – Mid-South Coliseum – June 25, 1984 (11,000)

Porkchop Cash & Scott McGhee d. The Scorpions

Mark Batten, Dutch Mantell, & Johnny Wilhoit d. Masao Ito, The Nightmare, & Keith Roberson

The Animal d. Rick McCord

Jim Neidhart d. Stan Frazier

The Rock n Roll Express d. Lanny Poffo & Randy Savage by DQ

Southern Heavyweight Title: Jimmy Valiant d. Rick Rude © by DQ

The Fabulous Ones d. The Pretty Young Things

Tennessee Street Fight: Eddie Gilbert & Tommy Rich d. Phil Hickerson & The Spoiler

National Tag Titles: Austin Idol & Jerry Lawler d. The Road Warriors © by DQ

Memphis wasn't amenable to the WWF brand, nor was Texas or a couple of other places, IIRC.

• Like 1

But upon further research just now the Convention Center isn't a really big venue, and remember the WWF was running shows in high schools around this time as well, so 950 isn't a bad number. Still, they got their asses kicked attendance-wise by Memphis wrestling. :D

How did HBK feel about having Jose Lothario on the road with him during that time? I feel like his dickish attitude back then would have had him annoyed that Hall and Nash were being cutting edge in WCW while he was saddled with his geriatric trainer.

• Like 1