DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

-

Gotta hate those invading forces that pay you for advertising time. How fiendish.

Well, it was all part of Hogan's master plan to.... be on WCW's tv shows all the time, thereby driving up ratings and... making more money for WCW.

presumably they'd buy the air time from the network, but yeah.

So the nWo drove up ratings for WCW, then tried to take over the company by buying airtime on the company's shows.  And, since ratings were up due to the nWo, they'd have to pay more for airtime on those shows.

In retrospect, the nWo's takeover plan could have been thought out better.

• Like 1

Bischoff would've been their inside man by that point but I feel like there was something else stated that forced WCW to sell airtime to the NWO.

Although, it wasn't that long before that when Bobby Heenan sold half of WCW Pro to NJPW for a couple of months before it seemed like WCW even noticed and nullified the deal leading to Starrcade 1995.

Bischoff would've been their inside man by that point but I feel like there was something else stated that forced WCW to sell airtime to the NWO.

Although, it wasn't that long before that when Bobby Heenan sold half of WCW Pro to NJPW for a couple of months before it seemed like WCW even noticed and nullified the deal leading to Starrcade 1995.

They vaguely hinted that the nWo got airtime due to winning WarGames at Fall Brawl.

It's kind of interesting how little Gorilla and Jesse actually worked together.  When you think of Hulkamania era WWF, you think of those two calling it, because they did the PPVs and all the big moments.  However on TV it was always Vince/Jesse and Gorilla/Brain.  When you actually count them up, Gorilla and Jesse did five Wrestlemanias (1, 3, 4, 5, 6), three Survivor Series (87, 88, 89) and one Royal Rumble (89).  That's it, did those two really only do nine shows together?

Monsoon and Ventura also hosted "Prime Time Wrestling" from 1985-86.  Monsoon replaced Jack Reynolds early in the show's run, and Ventura was on until the week before WM2.  Bobby Heenan replaced Ventura the week after WM2 (I believe). 

I watched the 1993 King of the Ring.  JR mentions that IRS was a tag team champion with 3 different partners and 4 total reigns.  I got Windham and Dibiase right away, but struggled with the third.  I didn't think at first he would be including NWA/WCW title reigns, but I'm guessing he was referring to the brief reign with Steve Williams.

I don't remember JR referencing WCW much when he came over to the WWF.  Can anyone point out any other examples?

It's kind of interesting how little Gorilla and Jesse actually worked together.  When you think of Hulkamania era WWF, you think of those two calling it, because they did the PPVs and all the big moments.  However on TV it was always Vince/Jesse and Gorilla/Brain.  When you actually count them up, Gorilla and Jesse did five Wrestlemanias (1, 3, 4, 5, 6), three Survivor Series (87, 88, 89) and one Royal Rumble (89).  That's it, did those two really only do nine shows together?

They did the Wrestling Classic too.  Gorilla and Jesse also did most of the Toronto house shows from 1985 up until Jesse's time off for Predator.

I watched the 1993 King of the Ring. JR mentions that IRS was a tag team champion with 3 different partners and 4 total reigns. I got Windham and Dibiase right away, but struggled with the third. I didn't think at first he would be including NWA/WCW title reigns, but I'm guessing he was referring to the brief reign with Steve Williams.

I don't remember JR referencing WCW much when he came over to the WWF. Can anyone point out any other examples?

Didn't Money Inc. win the titles three times?

I watched the 1993 King of the Ring. JR mentions that IRS was a tag team champion with 3 different partners and 4 total reigns. I got Windham and Dibiase right away, but struggled with the third. I didn't think at first he would be including NWA/WCW title reigns, but I'm guessing he was referring to the brief reign with Steve Williams.

I don't remember JR referencing WCW much when he came over to the WWF. Can anyone point out any other examples?

Didn't Money Inc. win the titles three times?

Yes, but the third time was after that 1993 King of the Ring.

Very shortly after, if I recall correctly.  It was one of those "two switches in one week of house shows" that the WWF did from time to time. Well, 3 switches since the Steiners ultimately kept the belts and were the champions by Summerslam.