DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

Since we're supposed to be asking old school questions...

I know the Scott Keith rumor of Austin winning is BS, but was an audible called on Austin being eliminated early? He looked like he came up limping at a point in the match, spent a lot of time on the mat, and Hart eliminated him pretty easily.  And it seemed odd that the man who caused the whole match to happen in the first place would lose first.

Oh lord, people are talking about the late 90s like they were a new Victorian era.

"Lady Winterbloom's whale tail is the talk of the village!"

"Verily, I daresay she looks like the type to have a tongue piercing"

"Sir! I'll have you know I have a tongue piercing!"

"Then it's true what they say?"

"Y...es"

"Away to the alley with us then!"

ETA: It was the "Big Wiggle" officially

• Like 3

IIRC, Austin went in injured.

According to Bret's book, Austin had a really bad case of the flu. I also remember Austin doing an interview on RAW where he was railing against Vince for making a sympathetic video of Shawn Michaels when he (HBK) hurt his knee but Austin got nothing for going into the Final Four sick as a dog and with a blown out knee. It had the line, "you treat me like a dog and expect me to smile, you remind me of a jackass."

So when I was young, things just seemed to appear and I never really gave them any thought. Earthquake showed up in 89, I didn't realize until mid-90. Diesel showed up in mid-93, I didn't realize until Wrestlemania X even though I remembered his Royal Rumble destruction tour. Bottom line, my young mind did not catch many details and just took them as appearing.

With that being said, I'm watching a lot of 1989-1990 WWF and now I'm having questions  that my 3-year-old mind never comprehended, the biggest being how did Sherri join up with Savage? I will have many more questions that I could probably easily find the answers to but I love the vim and vigor I get from you guys on these old school angles. :)

Does anyone have any info on NWO Saturday Night?

I noticed in the Wrestler of the Day thread which is Pez Whatley, there's a match between him and Buff Bagwell from NWO Saturday Night where the arena is virtually empty with only some NWO members in attendance like the Giant with the US Title and Syxx who's doing the ring announcer and Ted DiBiase who's the only person sitting in the crowd.

There's no fans at the arena or anything.

A Google search brought nothing aside from this:

The New World Order (nWo) did their own version of WCW Saturday Night in late 1996 called nWo Saturday Night.

Does anyone have anymore info on this?

The NWO was supposed to be an invading force so they bought time on WCW Saturday Night.  WCW actually did a good job with that when the angle started.  The taped promos were accompanied by a paid for statement and the merchandise phone numbers/mailing addresses actually differed from WCW's.