DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

I believe they stopped referring to "World" titles on WWE TV sometime during the Attitude Era, with the explanation being that Vince wanted "WWE" to be synonymous with "World."

It went back to the late 70s/early 80s when WWF left the NWA for the second time.

I think the Coal Miner's Glove match as a concept kind of gets a bum wrap since A) is a 'on a pole' match and people hate those and B) what the fuck is a coal miner's glove anyway? If you got over the glove as a weapon (announcers have one in the prematch build and are all like 'its leather and steel!' and sell it as a gauntlet that would let Michael Cole punch through a door) it could get over as a more violent taped fist match. It could be an easy specialty match/weapon for someone before they have to go against Big Show or something.

EDIT: God damn does Randy Orton need a trademark loaded weapon. Loaded glove, knee pad, or elbow pad would be great for the act.

Cowboy Bob should have passed down the cast to Randy.

• Like 1

Watching the Mid-SOuth dvd (awesome btw), gave me a question/thought: Was Bill Watts on crack when he had the coal miners glove match at HH 92? Or was the Wheel not gimmicked? Or Both?

I think it's been stated many times the wheel wasn't gimmicked -- which itself could be an argument for Watts' state of mind.

An old Observer confirms the wheel was rigged.  The reason the coal miner's match was picked was because A) WCW had never had one and it was a Watts favorite and B )WCW was moving away towards blood and most of the other options relied on blood to help make the match better, it was considered the most violent match they could have without blood (barbed wire, cage, first blood...none of those choices were happening.)

A wheel that wasn't gimmicked would have meant dragging a cage, barbed wire, and other props to the arena "just in case."  And Watts being someone who was told to cut costs would have never wasted money on that.

Does anyone know why the WWF changed the Prime Time Wrestling format from Moonsoon and Heenan to the studio audience thing and then the round table? Did Gorilla not want the workload anymore? Those Moonsoon and Bobby Prime Times were ridiculously entertaining.

Does anyone know why the WWF changed the Prime Time Wrestling format from Moonsoon and Heenan to the studio audience thing and then the round table? Did Gorilla not want the workload anymore? Those Moonsoon and Bobby Prime Times were ridiculously entertaining.

I would guess it was either because the ratings were down (Prime Time never really had strong ratings) or the WWF phasing out its taping of house shows meant there were less matches they could show.  I think by 1991, the only shows that were still taped were MSG and even it was at the end of its run.  The skits and audience participation let them fill out two hours better.

I would guess it was either because the ratings were down (Prime Time never really had strong ratings) or the WWF phasing out its taping of house shows meant there were less matches they could show.  I think by 1991, the only shows that were still taped were MSG and even it was at the end of its run.  The skits and audience participation let them fill out two hours better.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Now I know Vince McMahon owned the whole kit and kaboodle in the WWF in the 80's, but I'm sure he had to have assigned bookers during that time period. Who were they, or did he just rely on producers?

Also, we all know that Shawn Michaels was a major asshole backstage in the 90's, but did he really complain about Vader in their WWF title match at Summerslam? And as I look back at the match, did Vader really do anything in the match worth complaining about (missed spots, too stiff, etc.) or was HBK just being a little bitch?

Now I know Vince McMahon owned the whole kit and kaboodle in the WWF in the 80's, but I'm sure he had to have assigned bookers during that time period. Who were they, or did he just rely on producers?

George Scott, Pat Patterson, & Jim Barnett.

Is that the same George Scott that booked for Crockett or am I thinking of someone else?

Is that the same George Scott that booked for Crockett or am I thinking of someone else?

Yup. He wound up getting sorta muscled out in the mid-80's because he didn't like the more cartoonish direction the WWF was heading to and didn't get along with Dick Ebersol's production of Saturday Night's Main Event. When SNME turned out to be wildly popular and Ebersol's influence grew, Scott was out.

Thing is though, the WWF was running so many shows that it really wasn't just one booker making all the decisions. Pat Patterson always had a lot of input.

Watched that Summerslam 96 match again the other day. Was awkward as fuck. Vader's not in position for anything, timing is off, and a lot of stuff just looks like shit.

I'll have to go back and watch that match. I thought it was actually Vader's best match in the WWF. Either way his WWF career never really recovered afterwards, and he was only in one other PPV main event until he left in 98.