DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

13 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Almost: that was Windham/Rotunda.  When they swapped Spivey in they became the American Express.

Wow, I need to check the Wrestling Challenges featuring Spivey/Rotundo, since I totally figured they were still going by US Express at that point.

As a side note, it wasn't the team's official name or anything, but when Nikolai Volkoff and Jim Duggan teamed up in 1990, before their SummerSlam match against Orient Express, Volkoff referred to his team as the American Express ("And don't leave your home without it! Hooooo!"), but that was more of a promo punchline, rather than anything official.

Dr Tom Pritchard was the Doctor of Disaster. Jesse Ventura: "Do you realise what that means? This man has a PhD... in 'Disaster'."

Edited by AxB
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, AxB said:

Dr Tom Pritchard was the Doctor of Disaster. Jesse Ventura: "Do you realise what that means? This man has a PhD... in 'Disaster'."

I'm excited about the idea of Dr. Tom footage in either 85-90 WWF or 92-93 WCW where Jesse could actually say that.

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

He did say it, in 93 WCW. It was on a PPV I think.

Oh yeah, they had the SMW deal before Watts left. I knew that. I blame having Ruby Soho stuck in my head.

There's the 8 man tag. Let me find it

Ricky Morton & Robert Gibson, WCW/NWA Tag Team Champions Ricky Steamboat & Shane Douglas fought Steve Austin & Brian Pillman, Tom Prichard & Stan Lane (w/ Jim Cornette & Bobby Eaton) to a double disqualification at 10:14 when all eight men began brawling in and out of the ring and Cornette was thrown in the ring by Gibson.

That is a match that exists.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 5:46 PM, J.H. said:

Is that one with Marina Sirtis and Marina Sirtis Best Supporting Breasts?

James

This being Hollywood, Greek Brit Marina Sirtis as a New York Hispanic (Puerto Rican?) was totally plausible. The movie was filmed in London and set in NYC.

Also...

On 9/21/2021 at 7:43 PM, Zimbra said:

Yeah, Dan Spivey and Mike Rotundo wrestled as American Express for a couple of years in the 80s.

That sounds like a tag team name that would have ended with AmEx's lawyers sending a letter to the promotion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just recently stumbled upon old German WWF television shows, it was an episode in which fake Razor debuted in ring, fake Diesel joined him for a post match beat down. What I found interesting was: Not only did the German announcers acknowledge that the two men weren't the real Diesel and Razor, they actually said "Razor is actually Scott Hall, and Diesel is Kevin Nash". Since both WCW and WWF were on the same channel at that time, I can assume this was a way of cross-promoting, but I still was amazed by it. 

• Like 1

Is that all that different from what they did on English-language WWF? I know in the lead-up to the reveal, they had WWF President Gorilla Monsoon issue a statement on-air that he had no idea what Jim Ross was talking about when he promised to deliver Razor Ramon and Diesel, because Scott Hall and Kevin Nash had left WWF. I don't recall if they ever mentioned those names after the fakes debuted, but it wouldn't have seemed out of place if they did.

17 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Is that all that different from what they did on English-language WWF? I know in the lead-up to the reveal, they had WWF President Gorilla Monsoon issue a statement on-air that he had no idea what Jim Ross was talking about when he promised to deliver Razor Ramon and Diesel, because Scott Hall and Kevin Nash had left WWF. I don't recall if they ever mentioned those names after the fakes debuted, but it wouldn't have seemed out of place if they did.

No idea, I hadn't seen the English broadcast. I was just amazed by it, don't think I saw it back in the day. Wrestling was on on weekdays around ten in the evening and I was 12 that year. Plus my parents weren't too high on wrestling. 

Fair enough. And I can see why you'd be amazed, as the belief that WWE was actually trying to pass the fakes off as the real articles is bafflingly common on the internet.

For the record, they weren't. I have no idea what they were trying to do with that angle, but it wasn't that. The two guys were clearly presented as fakes in-storyline.

• Thanks 1