DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

On 6/19/2021 at 6:46 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Vince himself said in the ECW doc that he was paying Paul. I think both sides were paying Paul as a bit of a recruit for their respective feds. 

Thanks, I forgot about that part but now that you mentioned it it came back to me.  It's interesting to see how Paul was trying to rage against the machine (yeah, I know) when he was working with them in some way the whole time.  That's some mighty fine carny stuff to pull that off while telling your crew something else.

I'll also admit to not seeing the rest of the episode when I posted this.  But after finishing it if there's ever an episode of Livewire to check out that's the one.  Lots of chaos going on from Russo being Russo, Dok responding to him being called Michael Hayes, Vince going inside baseball, and constant arguments going on throughout it all.  It's a mess but a rather compelling one at that.

6 hours ago, zendragon said:

they needed a warm body? (this goes for his whole career)

And then some in 88-89 NWA! I swear like every show from that time has Victory in two matches. One usually under a mask. Even as a kid I thought that was funny. Dude has one of the most distinct body shapes of anyone in wrestling. That mask ain’t fooling anyone. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Log said:

And then some in 88-89 NWA! I swear like every show from that time has Victory in two matches. One usually under a mask. Even as a kid I thought that was funny. Dude has one of the most distinct body shapes of anyone in wrestling. That mask ain’t fooling anyone. 

THE BLACKMAILER.....! ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, twiztor said:

why was Jack Victory employed by ECW? barely talks, never wrestles, not a former star. i don't get it whatsoever.

Besides being a Heyman guy from their days together in WCW, I wonder if Heyman felt responsible for his injury and felt like he had to keep him around.  Victory broke his leg at November to Remember '98 and it supposedly didn't heal right, which is why he rarely wrestled singles matches in ECW after that (mostly seconded Corino and wrestled tag matches where he didn't do much).

Edited by Eoae

It's not like Victory was horrible or anything. He and Jack Tatum had a great team together in Texas. He basically a guy you looked at thought "Man, I wanna boo that guy for no reason" which is what made hima decent heel. He was just kinda vanilla. Like if you teamed with Doug Somers they could be sponsored by Breyer's!

James

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

My favorite Jack Victory moment was when he and John Tatum had a feud over pizza shop profits.

Victory had great punches. I always thought he was fun in the enforcer role for a guy like Tatum. He and Rip Morgan were a team I always wished got more of a chance, too. I'm glad I got to see him live during his ECW days.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn’t say he did nothing in ECW. There were matches where all he did was wheel out there and back yes but some of his comedy relief stuff was absolute gold. 1 of my favorite funny moments ever in wrestling was his reintroducing himself to Missy when she came back to ECW at the very end. Paul apparently believed in having guys who did nothing around though. When done right they can really enhance the whole show just by walking the aisle. Jack Victory, Big Sal, Dudleys who rarely wrestled, Corino when he first started etc. 

• Like 1

911 got super over by only ever doing one thing. It's only logical that someone else could get over by not doing anything.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

When Jim Cornette showed up on RAW in 1993 what was just as shocking as Cornette being there, was Vince McMahon on commentary talking about Smoky Mountain Wrestling. This was the first I recall of another promotion being acknowledged on WWF TV. I've heard it said that the NWA was mentioned a couple of times in the 1980s, I think on a Pipers Pit with Greg Valentine on as a guest and possibly Gorilla Monsoon and Lord Alfred talking about Terry Funk. Were there any other notable instances before the late 90s when you had the ECW invasion, AAA being namedropped when they brought Luchadores in, and an occasional mention of WCW by name? I don't believe NWA or WCW were ever specifically named when Flair came in with his "Real World Title" nor was USWA ever brought up in relation to Jerry Lawler even though Vince and others were appearing on USWA TV. Did AJW ever get a mention when they brought in Aja Kong and the other Joshi wrestlers in late '95? 

I know Giant Baba was mentioned in the 80s (by Gorilla Monsoon, when Heenan alleged that Giant Machine was clearly Andre the Giant, Monsoon replied that it could be Giant Baba under the mask) but I don't think AJPW ever got namedropped. Maybe NJPW got mentioned very early on in the expansion era when there was still a relationship between the companies. Did Michinoku Pro get a mention during one of the  Sasuke/Taka matches? Did they credit IWA when showing footage of Cactus Jack winning the KOTDM '95 tournament?

Bruno also made mention of Giant Baba during the first few weeks of the Machines angle, referring to him as "Baba the Giant." Again, no reference to All Japan.

On the Buddy Rose Piper's Pit clip that I posted after Orndorff's death, Piper makes mention that he and Rose worked together elsewhere, but does not go into too much specifics.

When Flair and the "Real World's Title" showed up, I believe Heenan and others would always say the belt was from "another promotion" and not an official WWF title.

Not TV, but I swear I remember a WWF Magazine article from 1984-85 that mentioned Hogan wrestling Tatsumi Fujinami in Japan, but did not say anything about NJPW (it was more "Hogan is a world champion who travels the world").

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

Did Bruno or Buddy Rogers ever do the World Champ vs World Champ deal?

Bruno turned down a run as Unified WWWF/NWA champ due to the insane schedule that was proposed, Lou Thesz also asked for a huge payday to do the job. Bruno wrestled Harley Race to a draw in a match for the NWA belt, it wasn’t a champ vs. champ match since it was during Pedro’s run as WWWF champ. The Bruno-Freddie Blassie matches may have been initially been WWWF Champion vs. West Coast or Pacific Champion, but then morphed into just Blassie trying to win the WWWF belt, I think Blassie lost the WWA World belt when he left Los Angeles for New York. The Bruno-Ray Stevens match in San Francisco was WWWF Champion vs. US Champion, the San Francisco promotion was out of the NWA at that point and the US Title was their top championship. 

There was no chance of Rogers doing any type of World Champion vs. World Champion match during his brief run as WWWF Champ.

• Like 2