DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

I just saw a Bob Backlund vs Iron Mike Sharpe squash on '93 Superstars. Sharpe challenged Backlund for the (W)WWF title somewhere in the early 80's. Can you think of other examples where a former World title match is later reduced to a tv squash? And let's flip the question while we're at it: Have you seen squashes where the participants later ended up wrestling for the World title? Aside from John Cena vs Brian Danielson?

3 hours ago, Infinit said:

Did the Hardy boys have any title matches down the line with any of their early squash opponents?

Off the top of my head:

123 Kid faced Jeff Hardy, then a few years later as XPac, they had a few matches for the Light Heavyweight title.

The Ringmaster's first match was against Matt Hardy, then several years later, Austin faced Hardy during the Two Man Power Trip feud with the Hardys.

RVD beat Jeff on Raw in '97 during the ECW Invasion. Years later, they're feuding over the Hardcore title (and I think the Intercontinental).

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Like 1

Foley wrestled Davey Boy in a tag match (as part of the Bulldogs) in his WWF jobber debut in 1986, then defeated him/Owen for the tag titles with Austin in 1997.

• Like 2

I think Kane may have squashed both Hardys early in his run, although not sure if it was an actual match, I just remember a double choke slam spot being used in video packages.

I can’t actually think of any title matches between them, but there was the fairly high-profile Kane-Matt feud over Lita years later.

On a similar theme,  what would be some of the most WTF squashes in hindsight? Future stars on the losing end against guys who flamed out/became career jobbers themselves?

4 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

RVD beat Jeff on Raw in '97 during the ECW Invasion. Years later, they're feuding over the Hardcore title (and I think the Intercontinental).

Hell, I wouldn’t be surprised if they feuded over a title later this year. 

2 hours ago, Kev said:

On a similar theme,  what would be some of the most WTF squashes in hindsight? Future stars on the losing end against guys who flamed out/became career jobbers themselves?

I'm sure I can think of better examples, but the first wrestling match I have ever witnessed live was Billy Kidman pinning John Cena. I'm sure that match must have made it to some B or C level TV show in 2002, if not SmackDown!

13 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

RVD himself did jobber work as "Robbie V" in WCW circa 1992-93 but I don't remember any specific opponents that we would consider headscratchers today

He also did job work in WWF at the same time. Only two matches from April '92 Superstars/Challenge. Vs the Mountie and vs Sid.

And of course, his name was Matt Burn.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJF_FgMHR-6/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Edited by PetrolCB

51 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

RVD himself did jobber work as "Robbie V" in WCW circa 1992-93 but I don't remember any specific opponents that we would consider headscratchers today

Vinnie Vegas was one of them. 

On 3/24/2021 at 2:05 AM, PetrolCB said:

Ahh, Ludwig Borga. My favorite composer.

While he didn't actually compose any of that particular piece of art, I actually have one of Ludvig Borga's post-wrestling career "songs" on my Finnish Gym playlist. A classical masterpiece, indeed.

12 hours ago, Shartnado said:

While he didn't actually compose any of that particular piece of art, I actually have one of Ludvig Borga's post-wrestling career "songs" on my Finnish Gym playlist. A classical masterpiece, indeed.

I love that you have a dedicated playlist to just Finnish gym music. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Log said:

I love that you have a dedicated playlist to just Finnish gym music. 

Yeah, and Gym is the only place aside from work where I can listen to music, so I basically call every Playlist a "Gym Playlist", but yeah, I have a rather extensive list of  (humorous ) Finnish Gym music.

...To be perfectly honest, I made the list mostly having "getting drunk " in mind more than "Gym" , but it works for both. I just haven't had a single drink since January 8th, so it's been a Gym Playlist so far.

Edited by Shartnado
Disclosure
  • Like 2

I’m just assuming that Ric Flair was involved in many as champion in WCW even though I can’t name the WCW rematches. I actually remember a weird stretch on WCW TV where he wrestled and beat jobbers on TV as champion in the early 90s. Meanwhile it had to have happened on territory TV a time or 80.

Robbie V wrestled Scotty F in a competitive squash match that I clearly remember where he jumped on the top rope, the rope not the turnbuckle, kept his balance then hit a move. I think it was a moonsault but I might be wrong about that part. I definitely remember the jump though. Insane to see at the time.

There are probably many of these that we’ll never list. Then if you move the goalposts a single inch to include competitive squashes...shit lol 

Edited by BloodyChamp

• 2 weeks later...

When was the last old school Frankensteiner done by the man himself Scott Steiner? And when was the last old school Frankensteiner done that wasn’t a botch?

I’ve seen 2 Steiners matches from 1996 recently where he did it but it was botched, although it wasn’t his fault. One was the GAB 96 match vs Norton and Ice Train that I think everybody remembers botching bad.

The other was a surprise for a few reasons. It was vs Sting and Luger on Wolrdwide. He busted it out on Sting, Rey Mysterio Jr like. He was standing flat footed and just bam with no wind up and no jogging start by Sting so he could roll through easier. That resulted in Sting botching it but that sure wasn’t because Scott didn’t nail it. 

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Like 2