DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

Every old belt is cool. I just love them.

Does anybody know if WCW actually bet on the crowd cheering for the foreigners in the Clash X main event? I know what a big deal kicking Sting out was and everything, and I know about the heat since Starrcade 89 which I still say was great but cheering foreigners in WCW in 1990 who weren’t happy South Americans wasn’t something that happened. I mean the crowd was rabid for that match. That was the last NWA type crowd unless they were that hot at Wrestlewar 90 which I’ve not yet seen.

I saw this as a little Stinger and I was more confused than anything. Then I just rolled with cheering for them against the Horsemen who I never knew as heels. Granted I was part of a small group of people who started with them as faces.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2021 at 1:33 AM, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Gadzooks, I loved thee J-Tex orporation despite the fact that nothing about them or any angles they were involved with ever made a lick of sense.

style over logic always,

RAF

Dragon Master walking backwards to the ring was always creepy in a good way

• Like 2

9 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Why are Orndorff's initials reversed on some of his trunks? 

The story I've heard was he got a shipment of gear with the initials reversed by accident. Either he coincidentally got a big push or started clicking in the ring with fans around the same time, so he kept it going for good luck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The "on paper" super stacked card of Halloween Havoc 1998 got me thinking, what would be some of the most kayfabe stacked cards with most former-, current- and future (as of today) world champions on them? Maybe discounting things like Royal Rumbles, but cards (probably PPV level cards only) with singles, tags and multiperson matches? Anyone feeling like getting their spreadsheet on? Or give a suggestion based on a hunch, do your own research, I don't mind.

I think the most interesting aspect is the future world champions part. Which cards have plenty of guys on the under card that would eventually reach a(n Apter mag level recognised) World title, on top of the main eventers and former main eventers of the time?

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

The "on paper" super stacked card of Halloween Havoc 1998 got me thinking, what would be some of the most kayfabe stacked cards with most former-, current- and future (as of today) world champions on them? 

My instinct is the 01-04 era where you had the former top WCW guys gradually coming in, plus the likes of Eddie, Edge, Cena, etc. in the midcard. Looking at the Manias around then, the most stacked looks like XX, I got 22 WWE world champs in matches, plus Austin as a ref, an Impact champ (Bubba), ROH (Noble) and NWA (Conway). I’m not sure on women’s title reigns, but you’ve got at least 3 there as well (Sable, Molly, Victoria).

Some of the multi-man match PPVs (Survivor Series, Eliminatuon Chamber, MITB) during a brand split have got to be high as well. Looking at Survivor Series’ in the late 00s early 10s, the most I got was 19 (if we count Matt Hardy’s WWECW reign).

Yeah, I think it has to be, between shorter/more reigns and how WWE basically became the only game in town for so long.

If you transported the guys from the cards I mentioned back to the mid-90s then there’s no way they’re all in the same promotion, likely spread across at least WWF, WCW and ECW, and therefore not appearing on the same cards, and it would get more scattered the further back you went.

Its hard to do like for like comparisons across eras but I’d argue someone like Ziggler is comparable to Santana in terms of tenure and value to the company, but Ziggler’s probably got about 4x the midcard/tag title reigns, plus a couple world title reigns. I’d guess that on average, the modern day wrestler is (kayfabe) a lot more decorated than their predecessors.

They probably would have done, only they had the 80s version of the Speaking Out movement and he got blacklisted.

Yeah, and to think Santana had more than average title reigns during his tenure compared to plenty of other guys from that era WWF, aside from the main belt. I mean in this conversation Jake the Snake means fuck all, for example. Duggan means jack shit, Piper is at zero world singles titles as well. All icons of their era, but with so few world title reigns to go around, a lot less decorated, just as you said.

24 minutes ago, AxB said:

They probably would have done, only they had the 80s version of the Speaking Out movement and he got blacklisted.

Not to go all sleaze thread but what’s this about? Santana?

since I brought it up in the get drunk and post themes thread my latest old school question is:

Why did Jim Powers A] always get theme music (and pretty good theme music besides) despite being a perpetual jobber, and/or B] why did he never get a chance to be anything more than a perennial jobber (especially after the Young Stallions split up) even when they went through all the trouble of giving him actual theme music?

Did he piss the wrong someone off?  A lot of the wrong someones?  Did he actually prefer to be a jobber?  Was his offense really that much worse than his selling?  Did anyone ever actually try pushing him?  I know he did turn up in that weird WCW promotional music video along with Alex Wright, Joe Gomez, and some other guy, but he (and all 4 of them actually) just kept on losing the way they always did after that.

So what gives?

5 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

since I brought it up in the get drunk and post themes thread my latest old school question is:

Why did Jim Powers A] always get theme music (and pretty good theme music besides) despite being a perpetual jobber, and/or B] why did he never get a chance to be anything more than a perennial jobber (especially after the Young Stallions split up) even when they went through all the trouble of giving him actual theme music?

Did he piss the wrong someone off?  A lot of the wrong someones?  Did he actually prefer to be a jobber?  Was his offense really that much worse than his selling?  Did anyone ever actually try pushing him?  I know he did turn up in that weird WCW promotional music video along with Alex Wright, Joe Gomez, and some other guy, but he (and all 4 of them actually) just kept on losing the way they always did after that.

So what gives?

if i were to give it one reason, he wasn't a good promo. He had the look, he was decent enough in the ring, but his charisma and promo skills were severely lacking. there was just always somebody better around, so it never got to be his turn.

i listened to a shoot interview with him a few years ago. it was interesting but nothing amazing. He doesn't seem bitter at all, and said he enjoyed his time as "enhancement talent". talked about how he rarely got to win, but at least he got to wrestle every big star around.

re: cards that looked great, i remember buying the VHS (!) of No Mercy 2000 because the lineup on the back of the box looked amazing. This would've been a few years after it happened, and i likely would have watched it live on PPV, but i had no recollection of this awesome card taking place.  The VHS didn't really live up to the hype, which should be a no-brainer since the PPV didn't leave a lasting impression. Doesn't live up to the former/future World Champ debate, but i feel like it is in line with HH98.

No DQ / WWF Title: Kurt Angle vs. the Rock (c)
Triple H vs. Chris Benoit
Tag Team Titles: Hardy Boys (c) vs. Los Conquistadores (Edge & Christian)
European Title: William Regal (c) vs. Naked Mideon (wtf?!?)
No Holds Barred: Steve Austin vs. Rikishi (this was Austin's return from injury/getting hit by a car)
Cage Match: Chris Jericho vs. X-Pac
plus the Dudley Boyz in a Tables Gauntlet Match

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Shartnado said:

The "on paper" super stacked card of Halloween Havoc 1998 got me thinking, what would be some of the most kayfabe stacked cards with most former-, current- and future (as of today) world champions on them? Maybe discounting things like Royal Rumbles, but cards (probably PPV level cards only) with singles, tags and multiperson matches? Anyone feeling like getting their spreadsheet on? Or give a suggestion based on a hunch, do your own research, I don't mind.

I think the most interesting aspect is the future world champions part. Which cards have plenty of guys on the under card that would eventually reach a(n Apter mag level recognised) World title, on top of the main eventers and former main eventers of the time?

I was actually thinking about something similar the other day:

Beach Blast 1992

Dark match: The Junkyard Dog, Tom Zenk and Big Josh vs Tracy Smothers, Richard Morton and Diamond Dallas Page
Scotty Flamingo vs Brian Pillman (c) for the WCW Light Heavyweight Championship 
Ron Simmons vs Terry Taylor 
Greg Valentine vs Marcus Bagwell 
Sting vs Cactus Jack in a Falls Count Anywhere match 
Ricky Steamboat vs Rick Rude [4-3] in an Iron Man Challenge (30:00)
Dustin Rhodes, Barry Windham and Nikita Koloff vs The Dangerous Alliance (Arn Anderson, Steve Austin and Bobby Eaton) (w/ Paul E. Dangerously and Madusa) 
The Steiner Brothers (Rick & Scott Steiner) vs. The Miracle Violence Connection (Terry Gordy & Steve Williams) for the WCW World Tag Team Championship 

Probably perceived as kind of a nothing card back in '92, not too hyped up, no-one ordering it with any kind of huge expectations...

No Flair, no Hogan... probably, at the time, seemed pretty low on star power for a major pro wrestling show. 

But, man, look at that line-up! Other than the Z-Man, Doink, and Buff it's pretty much all first ballot hall of fame pro wrestlers up and down the card. 

And in terms of guys on the mid-card who would eventually hit it big? How about Foley, Austin, DDP, and Raven?

And who would have thought at the time that two of those mid-card matches (The Falls Count Anywhere nd the Iron Man) would end up as all-time greats that people still watch and talk about today? 

Has to be one of the most overachieving cards of the '90s, at the very least. 

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Beach Blast 1992

Dark match: The Junkyard Dog, Tom Zenk and Big Josh vs Tracy Smothers, Richard Morton and Diamond Dallas Page
Dustin Rhodes, Barry Windham and Nikita Koloff vs The Dangerous Alliance (Arn Anderson, Steve Austin and Bobby Eaton) (w/ Paul E. Dangerously and Madusa) 
The Steiner Brothers (Rick & Scott Steiner) vs. The Miracle Violence Connection (Terry Gordy & Steve Williams) for the WCW World Tag Team Championship 

Probably perceived as kind of a nothing card back in '92, not too hyped up, no-one ordering it with any kind of huge expectations...

No Flair, no Hogan... probably, at the time, seemed pretty low on star power for a major pro wrestling show. 

But, man, look at that line-up! Other than the Z-Man, Doink, and Buff it's pretty much all first ballot hall of fame pro wrestlers up and down the card. 

And in terms of guys on the mid-card who would eventually hit it big? How about Foley, Austin, DDP, and Raven?

And who would have thought at the time that two of those mid-card matches (The Falls Count Anywhere nd the Iron Man) would end up as all-time greats that people still watch and talk about today? 

Cosigning this...great call! ????

• Thanks 1

On 3/21/2021 at 9:59 PM, El Gran Gordi said:

Beach Blast 1992

This was the first PPV I attended. Hadn't watched much WCW when it was leading up to it. Was over in Mobile AL at the record store. Saw a poster for the event. Had just finished high school. Dad got him and I tickets as my birthday present that year. 

Ended up 4th or 5th row right next to the ramp. We show up a few times during the Cactus vs Sting match.  

2 things I remember about this event.

Across the arena for us was a platform where a bunch of people from a home for special needs adults were sitting. Most of the faces came out and took pics with these adults. But Ron Simmons was out there from when we got there until right before the dark match started. Somewhere's in a bin I got a picture of Ron giving this one dwarf a piggy back ride.

The other thing is after the dark match TOny Schivonne got on the mic. "OK We go live on PPV in 5 minutes so I want everybody to stand up and wave your arms all over the place to show how excited yall are" Then you hear someone in the crowd yell "YEA THAT WAY IT WILL COVER UP ALL THE EMPTY SEATS."

I know official stuff says they drew 5k. There is no way there was 5k in there. The floor was full. But 90% of the riser and bleacher seats were empty. I'm guessing at most 1k and I doubt it was that many.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1