DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

Anyone know if the footage aired on Pro Wrestling Plus (I gather that it was a Pro Wrestling This Week type show that aired in Canada on TSN) was the same as what was on PWTW? Someone uploaded an episode from ‘88 to YouTube. I had no idea that this show even existed. Ed Whalen is certainly not the replacement most would want for Pedicino or Solie, though. 

The stuff airing here doesn’t match up with the PWTW listings I have, but I’m not sure how complete/accurate those are. I’m in the process of cataloging my DVDs (it’s been my quarantine project) and haven’t gotten to that set just yet. 

On 2/6/2021 at 9:47 PM, OGpistolpete said:

The abdominal stretch... why did it always pop the crowd?

Wow this so always happened and I don’t know why. Alot of dumb moves popped the crowd, but they atleast had a past. The Sleeper, the Claw, the Heart Punch, etc were always good for a pop because they were great once. The Abdominal Stretch was always good for it to and I don’t know why lol!

On 1/24/2021 at 11:16 AM, Tim Evans said:

Herb Abrams UWF did for a while on ESPN classic. And I swear I remember mid south airing on the channel on Saturday mornings back in the early 2000s

You are remembering correctly. I marked out huge at it, after seeing Golden Age of Wrestling for so many weeks (not that that wasn’t cool, but seeing Mid-South pop up out of nowhere was epic).

Todd and Rip throwing strikes with no closed fists and not hitting the ropes until the finish. I found this looking for a match that I know happened. It was the last time I ever saw Todd IIRC but that part might be wrong. I know this match happened some time though and I never forgot it because it was the only time I ever saw somebody pinned with the headlock counter. 1 2 3. I want to saw it was on Worldwide in 94.

EDIT: 

Well lookey there. A couple of interesting comments in the comments section lol! Anybody have any info on that?

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Infinit said:

How was Scott "Hog" Irwin's death handled on TV? Was he still teaming with Bill as the Long Riders in the AWA at the time he passed or had they moved on by then?

The Irwins finished up in the AWA in April 1986, and Scott's last match per Cagematch was in Canada for International Wrestling in September 1986.

Bill Irwin went to Watts UWF shortly after Scott's last match, and Scott passed a year later. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, colonial said:

The Irwins finished up in the AWA in April 1986, and Scott's last match per Cagematch was in Canada for International Wrestling in September 1986.

Bill Irwin went to Watts UWF shortly after Scott's last match, and Scott passed a year later. 

I remember them in Montreal. International Wrestling had a working agreement with the AWA so I thought the Long Riders coming in was part of that. Thanks for the info ????

4 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

NWA North American?

Nope, but that did lead me to the answer: it was the NWA United States Heavyweight title.  Thanks!

412?cb=20140710161214

It's a good belt.

7 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Defeating the US Courts title.

Holy shit! Oh, and I would have guessed (just by looking at it), probably European or Japanese Heavyweight Championship of some sort.

Edited by Shartnado
My guess
  • Haha 2

Was it ever explained on tv why Bret Hart started wrestling singles in his initial run?  Like '89 or so when he faced Savage on SNME?  Was Anvil just hurt or something?  I was watching at the time, but don't recall.

4 hours ago, Log said:

Was it ever explained on tv why Bret Hart started wrestling singles in his initial run?  Like '89 or so when he faced Savage on SNME?  Was Anvil just hurt or something?  I was watching at the time, but don't recall.

The Savage match was in 87 when he was still very much an active member of the Hart Foundation. The initial singles run in '88 him and Anvil were still a team, but the singles emphasis was started with him and Bad News Brown being the last two competitors in the Wrestlemania IV battle royale, and after shaking hands and agreeing to split the prize money, Bad News turned on him to eliminate him and win the match. So that catalyzed into "he's still teaming with Anvil, but has a personal score to settle with Bad News".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1