DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

On 1/3/2021 at 12:21 PM, odessasteps said:

Phil Hickerson and the Freedom Fighters (blade runners)

??? Warrior almost slips and says it, so Phil comes on out and says it. Then the greatest straight man in the business is standing right there managing the whole thing just like he did everything else. 

Edited by BloodyChamp

On 1/3/2021 at 6:27 PM, Shane said:

Larry Nelson trying to do journalism here is funny. Col. DeBeers certainly doesn't mince words on his feelings about Scott Hall and the juice...

My God, AWA was so low rent by that point!  At least the Koloffs faked their best Boris Badenoff accent and made up a "sympathizer" gimmick for the one guy who couldn't.  Meanwhile AWA has an Afrikaaner straight out of apartheid Cape Town who somehow sounds like he's from Missouri.  Put some pride in your work, son.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

My God, AWA was so low rent by that point!  At least the Koloffs faked their best Boris Badenoff accent and made up a "sympathizer" gimmick for the one guy who couldn't.  Meanwhile AWA has an Afrikaaner straight out of apartheid Cape Town who somehow sounds like he's from Missouri.  Put some pride in your work, son.

Would Ed Wiskoski have even known what an Afrikaaner accent sounded like? The only time South Africa was ever shown in the media back then was on the news and usually it was b-roll of some atrocity, the only entertainment media kind of exported from South Africa back then was British productions that featured British actors like The Wild Geese. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

Would Ed Wiskoski have even known what an Afrikaaner accent sounded like? The only time South Africa was ever shown in the media back then was on the news and usually it was b-roll of some atrocity, the only entertainment media kind of exported from South Africa back then was British productions that featured British actors like The Wild Geese. 

I was going to say "Lethal Weapon 2" but that was too late.  Well he could have at least researched Dutch surnames instead of lazily picking a large South African diamond company.  That would be like a German wrestler working an American gimmick and calling himself Johnny Wal Mart.  ?

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

I thought it was supposed to be not-finely-tuned similar to, say, Colonel Mustafa or Kane in later years for whatever heat or comedy it was worth. 

I’ve watched that whole thing several times over the last few days. That promo is right up there with the Warrior’s plane hijack promo, Savage Cream of the Crop, Flair in his underwear etc in the so seriously taken and sold, yet so silly it’s epic department. 

So back around 2001-02 I remember buying a wrestling magazine that was basically a directory of all the indy feds in the country organized by state. I think it was an annual thing from one of the Apter mags. Does anyone else remember this and what it was called?

7 hours ago, Zimbra said:

So back around 2001-02 I remember buying a wrestling magazine that was basically a directory of all the indy feds in the country organized by state. I think it was an annual thing from one of the Apter mags. Does anyone else remember this and what it was called?

Could it have been The Wrestling Digest? I've never read one myself, but I did see an ad for it in a few Apter mags. Although, by 2000 I no longer had a subscription, so it could have been a newer thing that I'm not aware of.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Could it have been The Wrestling Digest? I've never read one myself, but I did see an ad for it in a few Apter mags. Although, by 2000 I no longer had a subscription, so it could have been a newer thing that I'm not aware of.

Thanks for the lead!  Unfortunately it's hard to google because it turns out there are a lot of wrestling magazines with similar names.

15 hours ago, Peck said:

Barry Horowitz... a graduate of the Terry Garvin School Of Self-Defense. Who knew?

Who told you that? Gorilla? Well, later on he did have hand-prints on the back of his trunks. I thought that was referring to the "patting himself on the back"-gesture that he did, but now I'm not so sure!

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Thanks for the lead!  Unfortunately it's hard to google because it turns out there are a lot of wrestling magazines with similar names.

Yeah, that isn't exactly original, but I hope eventually figure out the name.

On 1/9/2021 at 7:15 PM, Zimbra said:

They had their yearly "Almanac and Book of Facts" Found a pic of the covers from that timeframe, in case one looks familiar...

Spoiler

pro-wrestling-illustrated-pwi_1_28608afd

19 hours ago, Shane said:

They had their yearly "Almanac and Book of Facts" Found a pic of the covers from that timeframe, in case one looks familiar...

Reveal hidden contents

pro-wrestling-illustrated-pwi_1_28608afd

This was a really good thought but I don't think it's it.  As I recall the magazine was just the listings of feds with blurbs of varying lengths about some of them.  Thanks!

Honestly I'm only looking because I remember seeing a picture of the Worst Title Belt Ever from a fed in Oklahoma so I've probably already put more energy into this than is necessary or healthy.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
5 hours ago, Zimbra said:

This was a really good thought but I don't think it's it.  As I recall the magazine was just the listings of feds with blurbs of varying lengths about some of them.  Thanks!

Honestly I'm only looking because I remember seeing a picture of the Worst Title Belt Ever from a fed in Oklahoma so I've probably already put more energy into this than is necessary or healthy.

I'm assuming this is what you're looking for, because it's possibly the worst belt I've ever seen.

v4VTrwr.png

Edited by Stefanie the Human

18 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I'm assuming this is what you're looking for, because it's possibly the worst belt I've ever seen.

v4VTrwr.png

Holy cats, I can't believe you found that! Its a little different than I remember but that's definitely it. Thank you!

How did you find it, anyway?

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Holy cats, I can't believe you found that! Its a little different than I remember but that's definitely it. Thank you!

How did you find it, anyway?

I had downloaded a handful of old magazines on a lark a couple of years ago, and that was one of them. It's the December 2000 issue of Wrestling Superstars. It's also the only one I kept because the indie guide has some genuinely strange stuff in there, such as one promotion that lists themselves as having cards that are half-wrestling and half-shootfights, then proceeding to explain that one of the shootfighters got his tooth chipped on a bowling ball after winning a tournament.

Also, a tag team listed as the "4:20 Express". 2000 was a different time.

19 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I had downloaded a handful of old magazines on a lark a couple of years ago, and that was one of them. It's the December 2000 issue of Wrestling Superstars. It's also the only one I kept because the indie guide has some genuinely strange stuff in there, such as one promotion that lists themselves as having cards that are half-wrestling and half-shootfights, then proceeding to explain that one of the shootfighters got his tooth chipped on a bowling ball after winning a tournament.

Also, a tag team listed as the "4:20 Express". 2000 was a different time.

Yeah, indy wrestling is great.

It turns out almost everything Oklahoma Pro did is on youtube, including after they changed their name to Tornado Pro Wrestling.  And it is absolutely some indy-ass indy wrestling.  Lots of guys in shiny shirts, trampoline ring, every show is in a bowling alley or a bar (except for one that was in a salon?).  And all of the title belts are complete dogshit.  I love it.

Thank you again, you have made me very happy.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Quick question for anyone who was around at the time:

What promotions other than GWF and AWA aired on ESPN? Ive found a few sources online saying USWA and WCCW but mostly just reddit threads, nothing too concrete.

Yes to both. 

• Thanks 1