DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

Having a Sunday chat about what if Hogan has a Karrion Kross and wins the belt at Mania V but has to forfeit the belt due to injury. 

What would you do? Do you rush the Warrior title win a year early? Go back to Macho King for an extended run? You have upper-level babyfaces like Snake, Hacksaw, Beefcake and Dusty. Do you gamble on them? 

Does Vince just put the belt on fucking Zeus?

I can kind of see a world where Vince goes with Beefcake for obvious reasons. 

37 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Having a Sunday chat about what if Hogan has a Karrion Kross and wins the belt at Mania V but has to forfeit the belt due to injury. 

What would you do? Do you rush the Warrior title win a year early? Go back to Macho King for an extended run? You have upper-level babyfaces like Snake, Hacksaw, Beefcake and Dusty. Do you gamble on them? 

I think it all depends on how long Hogan would be out, if it’s less than 3 months they keep the belt on him but have a heel injury him to explain why he isn’t on house shows. If Hulk’s out 3 to 6 months they put the belt back on Savage and Hulk wins it back at Survivor Series. If The Hulkster is out 6 months to a year Savage still gets the belt and drops it to Warrior at WMVI while Hogan has his comeback match in the co-main. I think Savage gets the belt since he’s the strongest heel they have and the upper level babyfaces challenging for the belt might put buts in the seats. 

Also they wouldn’t have Hulk come out and vacate the title, there would be an angle. 

2 hours ago, Mister TV said:

I think it all depends on how long Hogan would be out, if it’s less than 3 months they keep the belt on him but have a heel injury him to explain why he isn’t on house shows. If Hulk’s out 3 to 6 months they put the belt back on Savage and Hulk wins it back at Survivor Series. If The Hulkster is out 6 months to a year Savage still gets the belt and drops it to Warrior at WMVI while Hogan has his comeback match in the co-main. I think Savage gets the belt since he’s the strongest heel they have and the upper level babyfaces challenging for the belt might put buts in the seats. 

Also they wouldn’t have Hulk come out and vacate the title, there would be an angle. 

These sound about right. I think it if it's anything longer than 3 months, they just find a way to stick it back on Savage and have Savage claim that he was the one who hurt Hulk. Savage was doing gangbusters business as champ after his heel turn so no reason to not ride that train if Hogan's out.

And here's another curveball to throw into that mix. Say Hogan's out for extended period of time and they put the belt back on Savage. I remember hearing about a random Savage/Bad News Brown post-Savage heel turn match where the crowd got behind BNB. If Hulk is out for a year, what about turning BNB face to take on a crazy heel Macho Man? Ass kicking Bad News Brown vs. Crazy Paranoid Savage for the title is a program I'd have watched all day every day in 1989.

• Like 2

imagine the luxury of not only having Macho Man Randy Savage as your Plan B but oh just hire away Dusty Rhodes if you need Plan C.

not even a need to rush Warrior, gamble on Jake's sobriety, or experiment with Bruti or Duggan.

Savage makes the most sense since he's the only top heel (Andre being physically shot and Dibiase having cooled off since 88).  Now, we know Rude, Hennig or even the freshly turned Martel probably could've been just fine as a top heel but it would've been sudden to hotshot any of them up the card and you can easily see why they'd conclude there was no need to.

- Hogan shows up early in the show on SNME to forfeit the title. 
- Savage is given the title back by Jack Tunney. Open challenge. 
- Dusty Rhodes debuts and beats Savage in under a minute. 

On one hand, are they likely to do the same finish as HTM/Warrior within 9 months? Maybe not.
On the other, hot angle, creates a new star and program, and a huge fuck you to their major competitor. 

11 hours ago, Hagan said:

Injury angle with either Boss Man or Bam Bam. Duggan doesn't get popped for pot w/ Shieky Baby and he's The Champ.

54 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Injury angle with either Boss Man or Bam Bam. Duggan doesn't get popped for pot w/ Shieky Baby and he's The Champ.

As horrifying as it may sound, I can easily see Vince giving Beefcake a run with the strap. As bloody awful as he was in the ring, he was hugely over with the WWF audience*; you really had to be there to fully appreciate how he would pop a crowd. I was never a fan, having endured him in Portland as "Dizzy Hogan", where he did little aside from strutting around flexing his biceps. To the credit of all involved, they kept him off the mic and out of the ring as much as possible. Beefcake was one of those guys who was really good at everything except the wrestling and talking bits. However, he had the physique that gets VKM all moist and stuff, whereas Hacksaw even when in shape looked pasty and out-of-shape; he was pretty much the antithesis of everything that VKM looks for in a "star". He pretty much got over with the crowd on his own and back then a wrestler could do that without sending VKM into a tizzy. Yes, amazingly enough there was a time when VKM would just roll with it if someone got over organically. 

We remember the era fondly when thinking of Savage/Steamboat and tend to forget that the next tier of "stars" consisted of Beefcake and the Junkyard Dog, arguably the two worst wrestlers to receive a sustained push from a national company; that they were given such a ridiculous amount of attention at the expense of Dibiase, Steamboat, etc. is simply unforgivable; oh yeah, they also had George Steele stinking up the joint with his third-rate rip-off of Brute Bernard... 

11 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

- Hogan shows up early in the show on SNME to forfeit the title. 
- Savage is given the title back by Jack Tunney. Open challenge. 
- Dusty Rhodes debuts and beats Savage in under a minute. 

On one hand, are they likely to do the same finish as HTM/Warrior within 9 months? Maybe not.
On the other, hot angle, creates a new star and program, and a huge fuck you to their major competitor. 

The only ways Hogan would forfeit the title is if he had a Sid like leg break or was paralyzed, things like that weren’t done back then, go look at when they dragged out Dynamite Kid to drop the tag belts when he couldn’t even walk. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

The only ways Hogan would forfeit the title is if he had a Sid like leg break or was paralyzed, things like that weren’t done back then, go look at when they dragged out Dynamite Kid to drop the tag belts when he couldn’t even walk. 

So you're telling me you didn't have one if those "Get well Hulkster!" bracelets??

• Haha 1

Just now, Hagan said:

I'm a little kinder to Beefer in my old age. He had charisma and a good luck and did the best with a kinda silly gimmick and, as noted above over is over. 

Bruti was in the running for best theme song too

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Look, I haven't really vested myself in this thread in the last few pages, but the entire argument is this:

Every Advertised Survivor Series Match That Never Happened | Page 6 of 52 |  WrestleTalk

Savage + Windham + Sherri.

That's everything that year needed.

I really need to write my name in cursive on a pair of khakis.

• Like 1

To continue the Black Scorpion talk in the RAW thread, how could it have been booked better?

I think it would have been remembered as a brilliant angle if they had done it one year later to introduce Rick Rude and kickstart the Dangerous Alliance, targeting US champion Sting.