DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

Al Snow had no music when he initially returned to the WWE with the Head gimmick. Like when he had that handicap match with Taylor & Christopher, where he jobbed to shampoo.

13 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

In terms of not having music consistently for a long run, Giant is my pick as well. He also had the custom green chyron, which was a nice touch.

Didn't he use the Dungeon of Doom's "Halloween" theme ripoff that the SST used for a while? IIRC, he didn't have music when he turned face after getting thrown out of the nWo.

8 hours ago, elizium said:

All of these are great shouts. While I do think both Backlund and Furnas/Lafon were story related (Backlund to show how old school he was, F/L serious wrestlers as mentioned). I think they count anyway because I don't know if anyone ever came out and made mention of the fact that they don't have any music, I think we were just supposed to infer it.

I completely forgot about IRS, but yeah I don't think he had any music until hooking up with Dibiase.

I can't believe they never gave The Genius some light classical as an entrance.

IRS had "music". It was just someone typing and hitting the keys on an adding machine.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

I think the proper question is who popularized it and made it common.  Hogan's "Eye of the Tiger" changed everything.  It was perfect for him and others followed.  Except a lot of them used that same song and it didn't fit at all.

I always liked the rip-off of Ravishing by Bonnie Tyler that Hogan used.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

I always liked the rip-off of Ravishing by Bonnie Tyler that Hogan used.

If you are going by timeline of release, the Bonnie Tyler song is the rip-off. Hulk Hogan's Rock N Wrestling debuted in September 1985 with this as the theme song, and The Wrestling Album with this listed as "Hulk's Theme" (which I don't think he ever actually ended up using as in-ring entrance music, I think on TV they had already switched "Real American" over to him after Windham/Rotundo used it once or twice) came out in November 1985. The Bonnie Tyler album featuring "Ravishing" didn't come out until June 1986.

Though technically, it's more of a case of "self-plagiarism" than "ripoff", since Jim Steinman (of Meat Loaf's Bat Out of Hell fame) wrote "Hulk's Theme" for the Wrestling Album and then recycled it for "Ravishing" when he was producing Bonnie Tyler's record.

• Like 7

Speaking of Hulk's themes, why in the hell didn't they overdub "Eye of the Tiger" with "Real American" for the VHS release of Wrestlemania I? The music they dubbed in over EOTT sounds like it's straight out of a 70s John Holmes film.

7 hours ago, DangerMark said:

There was also a period where Ciampa was coming out without music in NXT within the last few years, or is that not an acceptable answer for an "Old School" thread? 

I'm really spotty on keeping up with NXT, was there a reason he was doing so?

15 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

I think the proper question is who popularized it and made it common.  Hogan's "Eye of the Tiger" changed everything.  It was perfect for him and others followed.  Except a lot of them used that same song and it didn't fit at all.

I always thought it was the Freebirds who really popularized it, though others used it before them.

I know the music videos in wrestling was a Memphis thing that spread to World Class and then UWF.

Edited by alstein

8 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

IRS had "music". It was just someone typing and hitting the keys on an adding machine.

16 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

I'm not convinced he had any. A search comes up with the theme they used for him in video games (the typewritter) but I don't think that was ever used on any TV show or PPV. He only came out to Ted's theme either as a part of Money Inc. or the Million Dollar Corporation.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 10:03 AM, clintthecrippler said:

If you are going by timeline of release, the Bonnie Tyler song is the rip-off. Hulk Hogan's Rock N Wrestling debuted in September 1985 with this as the theme song, and The Wrestling Album with this listed as "Hulk's Theme" (which I don't think he ever actually ended up using as in-ring entrance music, I think on TV they had already switched "Real American" over to him after Windham/Rotundo used it once or twice) came out in November 1985. The Bonnie Tyler album featuring "Ravishing" didn't come out until June 1986.

Though technically, it's more of a case of "self-plagiarism" than "ripoff", since Jim Steinman (of Meat Loaf's Bat Out of Hell fame) wrote "Hulk's Theme" for the Wrestling Album and then recycled it for "Ravishing" when he was producing Bonnie Tyler's record.

Hulk definitely used it in Fall 85. It was at Wrestling Classic and at a Toronto MLG house show against Savage that’s on YouTube. It was brief.

12 minutes ago, DMN said:

My first experience of Tom Pritchard is my current watch of Smokey Mountain, but was he alway doing an obvious Roddy Piper imitation in promos?

Yes. 

What's even funnier is watching Bruce for it when he was in Global. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Haha 1

Now and then I read that Abdullah the Butcher used something called the 'Python sleeper' as a finish back in the day. Now I'm familiar with the Sudanese Meat Cleaver and I could swear I even saw him use a stunner once in the early 90s in All Japan, but never have I seen him use a sleeperhold. Does anyone know, for example, if it was a basic old school sleeper or something like a cobra clutch or something else entirely?