DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

On 8/15/2020 at 4:30 PM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Bagwell is the most underrated wrestler prior to his neck injury, period.

Jimmy Garvin > Michael Hayes
He’s way better at working a crowd during a match in 83, and getting better matches out of the same guys Hayes just worked.

The sky was the limit for Bagwell until he got hurt.

Jimmy Garvin was always better than Hayes in every possible way. If you didn't get chills when "Sharp-dressed Man" hit and Garvin made his way to the ring with Precious you have no soul.

• Like 4

Both MPSHayes and JGarvin had peaks and valleys, and while I would assert that Garvin had more peaks (more fun stuff to watch), I could not say for sure if they were higher (more enjoyable) than Hayes' best. WCCW Garvin is so so good, but the Freebirds were almost as important and influential as Hayes believes they are. MPSH as a cool heel, great promos, dirty heelin', ENTRANCE MUSIC*, got great heat -  don't sell him short. However, that video when Jimmy Garvin and Sunshine were forced to work on the Von Erich ranch is one of my fave things from a brilliant heel run, it melding into the Chris Adams feud -- oy, so festivem(and there was more).

stinky stinky gross dog,

RAF

*Yeah, I know he wasn't the first, I ain't on marijuana pills.

14 minutes ago, Morganti said:

Who was the first to do entrance music live and then on tape?

Not sure if he was the first, but Gorgeous George would come out to music in the 50s. If I'm not mistaken, he usually entered to Pomp and Circumstance, like Randy Savage would years later.

E: You can hear it during his entrance here:

Edited by elizium

4 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

Sgt. Slaughter has frequently claimed he was the first to have an entrance theme.

Sgt. Slaughter has claimed many things, doesn't mean that any of them are true. The correct answer is Gorgeous George

As far as I can tell, it was thee Gorgeous One. Was he able to do it on house shows frequently? However, I will give it to Hayes for coming out to a pop/popular/rock tune as a heel (before Hogan & "Eye of the Tiger" (which is a great entrance song (one of the biggest pops I ever heard))) AND most importantly , it resulted in one of my favorite stories ever ever when the Freebirds tried to talk Nick Gulas into letting them use LSkynyrd. 

Question: was Hayes the first wrestler to come out to his own (performed) song? Or was it Adrian Street or Beautiful Beauregard?

- dirty and hot,

RAF

Thinking about the flip of this, who was the last guy in the WWF to enter without music (not counting storyline things like when Ziggler was having his music cut off a few years ago)? One thing that surprises me about watching older footage is how late into the 80s you still see guys enter without anything.

Ted Dibiase has one of the most famous themes of the era, but he didn't actually get it until a few years into his run as the Million Dollar Man. Wrestlemania 5 against Beefcake he's still entering to silence, but has the theme by Wrestlemania 6 against Jake the Snake.

I don't think Andre ever had entrance music. Nor Bad News Brown.

Edited by elizium

Furnas and Lafon had music when they debuted as babyfaces, but dropped the music in '97 when they turned heel.  Not sure if you want to count that as storyline as it was part of their "we're serious wrestlers" gimmick.

Backlund might be the last guy to not have music.  He didn't get music until very late in his run, Hail to the Chief, after the Mr. Backlund for President storyline.  First time I remember him having music is Royal Rumble 1996.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Vgmastr said:

Furnas and Lafon had music when they debuted as babyfaces, but dropped the music in '97 when they turned heel.  Not sure if you want to count that as storyline as it was part of their "we're serious wrestlers" gimmick.

Backlund might be the last guy to not have music.  He didn't get music until very late in his run, Hail to the Chief, after the Mr. Backlund for President storyline.  First time I remember him having music is Royal Rumble 1996.

21 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

Guesses include The Genius and I.R.S. (theme used for the 15th Anniversary of Raw doesn't count) for me.

All of these are great shouts. While I do think both Backlund and Furnas/Lafon were story related (Backlund to show how old school he was, F/L serious wrestlers as mentioned). I think they count anyway because I don't know if anyone ever came out and made mention of the fact that they don't have any music, I think we were just supposed to infer it.

I completely forgot about IRS, but yeah I don't think he had any music until hooking up with Dibiase.

I can't believe they never gave The Genius some light classical as an entrance.

5 minutes ago, elizium said:

I completely forgot about IRS, but yeah I don't think he had any music until hooking up with Dibiase.

I'm not convinced he had any. A search comes up with the theme they used for him in video games (the typewritter) but I don't think that was ever used on any TV show or PPV. He only came out to Ted's theme either as a part of Money Inc. or the Million Dollar Corporation.

Edited by The Green Meanie

8 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

I'm not convinced he had any. A search comes up with the theme they used for him in video games (the typewritter) but I don't think that was ever used on any TV show or PPV. He only came out to Ted's theme either as a part of Money Inc. or the Million Dollar Corporation.

Yes, sorry wasn't clear, that's what I meant.... he would enter to Ted's theme after that point for the rest of his time there. I'm pretty sure he entered with no music during the time period between Ted's retirement and return as a manager.