DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

58 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

Wasn't that just Kevin tearing the piss out of Greg Gagne taking credit for so many things that he had nothing to do with or was on the periphery? Gagne has the same reputation as Mike Graham when it comes to giving himself more importance within historical wrestling events and movements than he actually deserves (usually little to none) and I always saw Kevin's comment as being sarcastic ala "Didn't you know Greg Gagne invented the nWo?" (CUE KEVIN NASH ROLLING HIS EYES AND LAUGHING GIF).

Gagne is now a car salesman, which is the perfect job for him. He's fun to listen to if you basically take nothing he says at face value. Love that Minnesota accent. 

• Like 1

On 8/6/2020 at 3:42 AM, sydneybrown said:

Tully was fired after this match too.  Even though other matches aired later, this was Tully's last WWF match and aside from one shots, the end of his mainstream career.  The SNME where Heenan fires the Busters had been taped the day before.  No way was Warrior giving him much of anything.

Yeah, I was surprised how much Tully got (well got to do, more accurately). Warrior shrugged pretty much everything off, but at least Tully got some ineffective offence on him and got to bump like a pinball for a bit. I figured this had to Tully's last WWF match, that's why I wondered if the match even ever took place as scheduled.

If the circumstances were different, I still feel they had a way better match in them, if allowed.

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

They probably didn't tell Tully shit until after the match thinking he'd walk then and there.

Yeah, wouldn't doubt that for a minute! It's not like they can go "Hey, Tully! Your test came back positive for cocaine, so your ass is fired as of 10 minutes from now! But before that, go out there and make Hellwig look like a million bucks! Thanks!"

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

They probably didn't tell Tully shit until after the match thinking he'd walk then and there.

Tully and Arn were leaving after Survivor Series anyway.  Firing Tully was pretty much a spite move to keep Crockett from wanting him back.  Which worked.  

Arn said in his podcast that they gave their notice while still the tag champs, due to not making more money than in JCP, as Vince had originally promised them. After Tully was fired and Arn was teaming with Haku against Demolition etc. he started receiving the most amazing paychecks for shows that didn't do amazing business.

When he finished up, he actually HAD made more than in JCP. Vince had kept his word and I'm sure it was kind of a reverse FU to Arn for not trusting him when Vince said he would take care of it.

That was Arn's take on it, I have no clue if it actually happened, but fascinating story, nonetheless.

• Like 1

I always wondered why Vince took forever to air Demolition winning the tag titles back from the BrainBusters, and that story might kinda explain it.  Demolition beat them October 2 and the title change didn't air until November 4 (Tully had already been fired by then.)  Usually they air title changes immediately to keep continuity on house shows, but the Busters spent the whole month defending a title they had already lost.  Curious if Vince was trying to keep them on and would have voided the title change if they stayed.  

Wow, I never looked up any further info about the timing of the Demolition title change and had no idea it was this convoluted. Considering there has been that nullified title change with Rockers and Hart Foundation in 1990, it's always a possibility that Vince would have just decided not to air the title change at all, if they came to terms in time. But alas, it was not to be. Sure is interesting, though!

What was the deal with Prime Time Wrestling showing outdated matches on a regular basis? For example, I'm watching a November 1986 episode where the "spotlight match" is a tag match from April 1985. To the point where even Gorilla says "This was back when the Dream Team were the Tag Champs" when introducing the match. That just seems extremely counterproductive; and it wasn't like it was a one-time thing either.

8 hours ago, Peck said:

What was the deal with Prime Time Wrestling showing outdated matches on a regular basis? For example, I'm watching a November 1986 episode where the "spotlight match" is a tag match from April 1985. To the point where even Gorilla says "This was back when the Dream Team were the Tag Champs" when introducing the match. That just seems extremely counterproductive; and it wasn't like it was a one-time thing either.

Most likely they needed to fill time, I don’t think they taped matches specifically for Prime Time until 88 or 89, so there could have been weeks were they were short on matches from the taped house shows. 

On 8/8/2020 at 4:21 PM, sydneybrown said:

I always wondered why Vince took forever to air Demolition winning the tag titles back from the BrainBusters, and that story might kinda explain it.  Demolition beat them October 2 and the title change didn't air until November 4 (Tully had already been fired by then.)  Usually they air title changes immediately to keep continuity on house shows, but the Busters spent the whole month defending a title they had already lost.  Curious if Vince was trying to keep them on and would have voided the title change if they stayed.  

A friend of mine attended a house show at the Philly Spectrum that took place in between the actual title change and when it aired. The card featured a Brain Busters/Demolition match. When he discussed the card with friends, he focused more on the Warrior-Andre 10 second title match, but he did talk in some detail about the tag title match.

Before the ring announcer began his introductions, Tully and Arn ran to the ring without their straps. They told the crowd that Demolition "stole their titles," so they challenged the Dems to come to the ring and fight fair and square. Dems come to the ring, again without belts, and the match starts.

Dems win by DQ and the two teams brawl to the back. Outside of Tully and Arn mentioning their belts being "stolen," no reference is made to the match being for the tag titles.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BurningBeard said:

Marcus Alexander Bagwell and 2 Cold Scorpio are the most underrated tag team of all time. Discuss...

Underrated for sure! Scorpio was awesome from day 1 and I've always liked Bagwell's work until the neck injury. They had a bunch of good teams to work with and could definitely have gone further than they did, if not for the implosion. I wish there was more of their matches available than there already is (on the WWE Network).

Did Bagwell & Scorpio ever face the Blackhearts? Now that would be some underrated shit for '93 if there ever was one! I don't recall seeing it on Saturday Night, but there is a timeframe it could have taken place! Anyone know if it did?

On 8/14/2020 at 12:59 PM, BurningBeard said:

Marcus Alexander Bagwell and 2 Cold Scorpio are the most underrated tag team of all time. Discuss...

Bagwell is the most underrated wrestler prior to his neck injury, period.

Jimmy Garvin > Michael Hayes
He’s way better at working a crowd during a match in 83, and getting better matches out of the same guys Hayes just worked.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

On 8/8/2020 at 12:32 PM, Shartnado said:

Arn said in his podcast that they gave their notice while still the tag champs, due to not making more money than in JCP, as Vince had originally promised them. After Tully was fired and Arn was teaming with Haku against Demolition etc. he started receiving the most amazing paychecks for shows that didn't do amazing business.

When he finished up, he actually HAD made more than in JCP. Vince had kept his word and I'm sure it was kind of a reverse FU to Arn for not trusting him when Vince said he would take care of it.

That was Arn's take on it, I have no clue if it actually happened, but fascinating story, nonetheless.

I can second this. Probably one of the best episodes of Arn's podcast. Lots of interesting stuff.

I have stated on numerous threads recently that I'm going through '93 Superstars on the Network and I was wondering if the awesomeness of Crush vs Papa Shango ever happened?

And the other thing that goes further on into the summer of '93, is Mr Hughes the only guy to beat up and lay out The Undertaker without there being a big blow-off match (with Taker getting his revenge)? I mean sure, there were circumstances, but still there aren't many more!

Edited by Shartnado
Grammar, sorry

For at least two decades I had been trying to find the identity of the WWF's Angriest Referee:
9Ko41Un.jpg
(anyone that's seen Wrestlemania IV will know what I'm talking about)

And thanks to Bruce Pritchard and a recent episode of his podcast, I finally know! Apparently he's former wrestler Jack Kruger:
GLAbTo4.jpg

So now for a new question:
(I can't find a video clip of this) I remember seeing bit online where the "Killer Bees" (under hoods) had attacked Hulk Hogan during an episode of Superstars. They announcers at first seemed to think it was Blair/Brunzell until after the attack. Did we ever find out who were under the masks, and did anything ever come from this angle? I also seem to remember it being strange as the Bees had already left the company or it was right at the time they left.

32 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

So now for a new question:

(I can't find a video clip of this) I remember seeing bit online where the "Killer Bees" (under hoods) had attacked Hulk Hogan during an episode of Superstars. They announcers at first seemed to think it was Blair/Brunzell until after the attack. Did we ever find out who were under the masks, and did anything ever come from this angle? I also seem to remember it being strange as the Bees had already left the company or it was right at the time they left.

A quick search shows this happened during a lumberjack match between Hogan and DiBiase from the Philly Spectrum on March 12th, 1988.

Apparently it was a one off and no, they weren't revealed. Hogan ripped a mask off but there was another underneath. Spectrum shows were still televised up until October of that year, so maybe you'll find footage somewhere. I couldn't though.

Also, the Bees were still somewhat around until that fall.

• Like 1