DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I didn't know heel Briscos were really a thing. I mean, I knew they had some heel runs somewhere, but I didn't know it was in the Carolinas. Any good examples of this?

Starrcade 83 should be easiest thing to find. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I didn't know heel Briscos were really a thing. I mean, I knew they had some heel runs somewhere, but I didn't know it was in the Carolinas. Any good examples of this?

I remember reading an interview with Jack yeeeears ago, it wasn’t intentional but they liked how the dynamic was playing out against Steamboat and Youngblood so just ran with it.

The folks who run Mid Atlantic Gateway continue to do gods work

Edited by BurningBeard

I think Jimmy Valiant might be the 80s 'winner' for most segments ruined by the WWE dubbing over his music because there's some segments where they have to dub over an entire interview because "Boy from New York City" is playing.

ECW New Jack world be the 90s winner for that category.

• Like 3

Watched Survivor Series 1990 the other night.  Was there any particular reason they booked the last match (pitting the survivors of the previous matches against each other)?  As far as I can remember, that was a one-off and they never used that gimmick again.

I'm not a fan of the wrinkle in theory, and, in practice, it worked horribly, imo.  It ended up being a handicap match with DiBiase, Martel, Power and Glory, and the Warlord against Hogan, Warrior, and Tito Santana.  Santana was eliminated two min into the match and then Hogan and Warrior just went into squash mode and killed the heel team dead.  

I'm guessing Vince didn't think he had enough star power on the card to make another interesting match and decided that another shot of Warrior and Hogan would send the crowd home happy.  Lotta guys missing compared to the previous year.  Beefcake was injured, Andre was gone, Savage appeared on the card but didn't wrestle, Rude and Akeem were supposed to be on the card but left before the actual event due to contract issues, Arn and Tully were gone, etc.

9 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

Watched Survivor Series 1990 the other night.  Was there any particular reason they booked the last match (pitting the survivors of the previous matches against each other)?  As far as I can remember, that was a one-off and they never used that gimmick again.

I'm not a fan of the wrinkle in theory, and, in practice, it worked horribly, imo.  It ended up being a handicap match with DiBiase, Martel, Power and Glory, and the Warlord against Hogan, Warrior, and Tito Santana.  Santana was eliminated two min into the match and then Hogan and Warrior just went into squash mode and killed the heel team dead.  

I'm guessing Vince didn't think he had enough star power on the card to make another interesting match and decided that another shot of Warrior and Hogan would send the crowd home happy.  Lotta guys missing compared to the previous year.  Beefcake was injured, Andre was gone, Savage appeared on the card but didn't wrestle, Rude and Akeem were supposed to be on the card but left before the actual event due to contract issues, Arn and Tully were gone, etc.

If they don't do the "Grand Finale Match of Survival" whose match do you end the show with, Hogan or Warrior? I can see Vince not wanting to rock the boat by having one of the big two feeling disrespected by not ending the night on top. Also there still wasn't a solid plan for WM when they first announced the finale match so they could have used that match to set-up Hogan-Warrior 2, remember Slaughter wasn't brought in because of the Gulf War, his vignettes were airing before Iraq invaded Kuwait and Vince didn't lean into the exploitation of the war until the night of Survivor Series. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Neither. Double the Gooker's time.

Has there been a comedy segment in recent WWE history that got that much time and effort?  That segment is worth watching just for how hard it bombs in the first minute, and then it just keeps going and going and going....

Speaking of bombing, I completely forgot Barbarian goofed up the piledriver and bounced Hogan's skull off his (Barbarian's) knees.  i thought Barbie had a great look when he grew his hair out and dropped the Road Warrior cosplay.  Always wondered why he didn't get a better spot on the card.  This might explain it.  Kinda guessing Hogan had Barbarian's push killed as soon as they hit the locker room.   

Hot Rod on commentary was... something.  He turned his shtick up to 11 and occasionally seemed lost about what was going on. Wouldn't be at all surprised to learn he was on something.

4 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Here's one that's always bugged me. How come no russian wrestlers ever used the Side Russian Legsweep?

I was annoyed when they made it Berlyn's finisher.  He's not even fake Russian!

4 hours ago, Doc Townsend said:

I honestly really liked the match gimmick and for the longest time was kind of bummed they didn't try it again.  One way they could have done this was for competing brands where the winner of the match of survival wins the night and gets some grand prize like a trophy.  Kind of like a college bowl type deal where done right could have led to a fun couple of months.

The interview with the The Hulkster, The Warrior, and The Arriba Man is the best part.  How could anyone hope to contend with the combined might of Warrior Wildness, Hulkamania, and Arriba Derci!

Seriously, the best part of any Survivor Series are the crazy coked-up group pre-match interviews.

• Like 3

Anyone know much of the show with the UWF Western States Heritage title tournament end up being taped? From 6/20/87, I believe. While I'm interested in the tournament as a whole, I guess I'm mostly wondering if the Steve Williams/Dusty Rhodes vs Dick Murdoch/Eddie Gilbert Bunkhouse tag made tape. It wasn't on the 80's Midsouth set (which I am overdue to go through yet again), but with new footage popping up here and there, I wasn't sure if it ever saw the light of day. I scanned the TV results for 87 and didn't see it there, either.

Here's the full show in question. I bet that Hayes/ Flair match is worth a watch as well:

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=142386

As an adult, I find the booking of that final survivors match fascinating.

I'm pretty sure by that point they knew they were moving back to Hogan and were going to use Slaughter for the transition.

So they couldn't have Sarge in the main event unless he won it, which they simply didn't do on ppv back then. But he had to look strong going into the Rumble. So he winds up down 4-1, and beats three of the four guys before falling in booking that really feels more like scrappy underdog Babyface stuff.

Then they gave to juggle the egos and positions of Hogan and Warrior. They need Warrior strong to sell as many tickets as they can for the next few months, but they also need to make sure everyone knows Hulk is still Hulk.

And I'm pretty sure that's why they never did it again. Just a logistical nightmare when they used to actually book long-term. 

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 7:55 AM, Doc Townsend said:

Pure speculation but I'd guess it was to set up Hogan-Warrior II, but then they switched gears to Slaughter, and we got left with a Hogan and Warrior are BFFs finish.